For the FTP's amongst us

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by ryoung57, Jan 27, 2014.

1. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

I have worked with students on the spectrum for years and I find your posts refreshing in their candor about your child. Thank you for sharing.

2. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

Chino, one of the biggest obstacles that Monday morning quarterbacks run into is the fact that all their arguments fail to point out that they were not on the scene thus they were not in the shoes of those officers facing that unknown suspect. It's really easy to see a simple video and make decisions based only on a tiny portion of the complete picture. Remember, those officers don't get to talk to "witnesses" about what the suspect is carrying in his pockets, what his intentions are, or what he plans to do. They see what they see and are working off the information coming from the dispatcher that sent them there.

Yes, I can watch the video and think, from what I see, maybe the officers could have calmly talked to the guy and convinced him to drop the knife and deal with them. Facts reveal that the suspect had no intentions to do anything that the officers wanted him to do and his failure to stay alive was caused by his continuing to advance on them. Time ran out. Tragic.

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That kid absolutely wanted the cops to kill him because he was too much a pussy to go through with it on his own.

4. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Doing so on his own also wouldn't paint him as a martyr.

5. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Interesting point. If they had offed theyself, they would have been just another statistic instead of a trigger.

6. Wingnut

Wingnut Well-Known Member

The original video was about 5 minutes long starting with the cop pulling up along side the kid. I'll search for it.

By no means am I part of the FTP crowd, I've had bad experiences and grateful experiences from cops. I believe the overwhelming majority are decent people with the desire to serve. Unfortunately, as with any human being they can and will make mistakes. But with social progression how do we learn from those mistakes?

I've talked about it here before but 4 of my kids I adopted after being their foster parent. A detective gave a crucial testimony in my oldest daughters case, a person is currently serving a 20 year sentence because of him. My daughter is now getting her drivers license, one of our cop friends came over and gave her the do's and don'ts of getting pulling over. Again, unfortunately there have been cases of cops pulling over young woman and then stalking or attacking them.

My two boys are starting to go through the realization of their past, so on top of trying to teach them basic life skills like self safety measures and basic hygiene I also have to help them deal with their previous abuse, neglect and abandonment. And the ever important lesson of "Don't pick your nose in public"

7. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

Man, good for you. You're doing great things for those kids you definitely get my respect.

:beer:

8. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

9. R Acree

R Acree Banned

If you want cops that can instantaneously spot diagnose all developmental disorders, you are going to have to pay a wee bit more. The universal theme here is they are not qualified, they should be right 100% of the time, and can defuse every situation within a fraction of a second with zero errors. Wow. I hope you perform that well at your job.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  10. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

I don't understand the two-foot metal pipe. That's a weapon, and not a stick to use on stray dogs.

11. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Don't get me wrong...I'm not calling this a clean shoot. I'm just not going to crucify someone without more facts than are presented in one article. I wasn't there.

12. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Using a taser first (as his partner did) allows for some leeway. Not sure why that wouldn't be every department's policy unless the suspect has a firearm.

13. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I have no idea. I wasn't there.

14. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

I was thinking the same thing on the campus shooting as well. I am not saying that they were not clean shootings, it just seems to me that if you have back up with you and your suspect does not have a firearm, the taser would be deployed first. I know not every situation will not allow for that to happen, and this maybe that case.

15. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

You are putting a lot of faith into the tazer. From what I have seen, they don't work and I would not risk my life depending on them.

BHP41 likes this.
  16. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

There's a reason I said "if you have back up".

17. R Acree

R Acree Banned

In the campus situation, I think I remember reading that the officers are not issues tasers.

pickled egg likes this.
  18. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

How is a backup going to help when the attacker has reached you and already stabbed. This is not the movies. The backup would have to shoot the attacker the same time as the taser., or wait to see if it worked or not.

19. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

They need the Star Trek phasers set to stun.

One shot and down.

Of course, not set to stun and the bad guy disappears.

20. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Read the article.

The Kampus Kops weren't armed with Tasers.

And Tasers are considered "less than lethal", but still end up dirt napping a lot of the recipients of the business end. Then the cops get their collective tits in a wringer over "killing them with Tasers".

Fuck everyone. Step outside your house, expect to be summarily executed. Make it through the day? Bully! Try again tomorrow. :D