1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Loud ass generators are not even remotely friendly

Discussion in 'General' started by roy826ex, Feb 19, 2016.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

yep!

2. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

amazing what 1 or 2 sheets of plywood cut down to a few smaller pieces can do. A 10DB drop is a BIG deal.. can't afford a $2200-3500 gen ? Fine. You can afford a $20 sheet of plywood and a $10 saw to cut it down. Or stay home.

3. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I always just pay for the electric at the track (when the track offers), its even quieter than a Honda or Yamaha, lol. But yes, if I was the guy bringing the archaically loud generator I would have the common courtesy to at least pit myself far off in the boonies of the paddock so that I was being less of a disturbance.

Its not really a matter of either side being right or wrong here I think, but a little bit of self-awareness goes a long way. If I'm fresh from a 14-hour shift cleaning septic tanks (no that's not my profession, NTTAWWT), I'm not gonna go straight to a 5-star restaurant and sit my stinky ass in the middle of the place amongst people trying to enjoy a nice meal.

Saying "if I can sleep through a hurricane then everyone else should too" as well as "if you don't shut that thing off I'm pouring sugar in the gas tank" are both the wrong approaches to take. Common courtesy is a lost art I agree. But I mean, I've seen dudes pony up spare parts or offer up their time to go help a competitor (hell, someone they didn't even know) fix their bike post-crash so they could get back out on track. Coming to some kind of compromise on an issue like this shouldn't need to be the Cuban Missile Crisis.

Gorilla George and Laz like this.
  4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The butt hurt is definitely more annoying than the loud gensets... :D

VFR#52 likes this.
  5. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Good to see you finally get serious about ruining racing in the US.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  6. VFR#52

VFR#52 Well-Known Member

Now we are talking. All.tbose with tire warmers would be so out to lunch.
    Bet I'd lead 1st lap every time. Bahhhhhhhh.
    And no I don't even own a generator.
    Back in old days we didn't use them until all these prissy guys showed up with A.C. and trailers.
    Didn't even know what a tire warmer was cause they didn't exist.
    But seriously folks, get a life and if you have a problem go talk to them like a man.
    It's called common courtesy.
    So roll up and discuss problem and I'm sure problem could have been solved without this childish thread.
    Have fun.

Steven Isenhower #52

7. badmoon692008

badmoon692008 Well-Known Member

Well at least we got to hear Steve chime in about how he'd beat everyone on one set of bald tires racing up three classes uphill both ways without warmers again...

8. VFR#52

VFR#52 Well-Known Member

Bahhhhhhhhhhh.
    Thanks for making me laugh today.
    Have a great day.
    Steven Isenhower #52

9. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I kind of want to get a noisy generator just to see what kind of hillbilly engineering I can do to quiet it down. :)

Phl218 and VFR#52 like this.
  10. VFR#52

VFR#52 Well-Known Member

And that's how you solve a problem.
    Lol. So many smart people at track and this could be solved through team work.

Steven Isenhower #52

11. SpeedyTide

SpeedyTide 'Bama's Bad Boy

I have a Champion 3k non-inverter, and it's reasonable noise wise. When used I ALWAYS ran a 100' extension cord to get it the noise away. That wasn't just for me..... it was for my pit neighbors too... 'cause I'm considerate.

No one should have to go ask someone about their loud azz generator, or ANY kind of LOUD noise, at night while peeps are trying to sleep.

If you have a loud generator are you semi-deaf and just don't hear it, or are you that much of an inconsiderate person? Ya' know..... some people work hard, and travel to these races, and just might really be tired, and need the sleep. ;)

skidooboy and MELK-MAN like this.
  12. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

sooo.. you don't think we should start a trend of "Joe Blow has a noisy generator.. riders beware when pitting next to him" ?? ;)

Jeff said it above. How about people just not be f-ing assholes, and have some common courtesy. If you are DEAF, there is no reason someone should ever have to come and talk to you about your generator. If you have "one of those", you know you do.

13. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

Reminds me of a funny story. I was pitted next to a buddy and he had a fairly large gen set running a small window unit in his cargo trailer. One of the other guys with us slipped the latch back on the door and pulled the plug on the gen. We were at RRR in the summer and it was hot as fuck out. Took about 30-40 min to get hot enough for him to wake up and they left him in there pounding on the door for another 5-10 min. When they finally opened the trailer door it was like one of those lion released back into the wild videos. He was above pissed :D

p144 and VFR#52 like this.
  14. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I hate to break this to everyone, but I'd figure that about 60+% of the people at the track never venture into this quagmire. I'll always ask the people pitting around me who they are on the beeb and the most typical response is..."I don't waste my time on that forum:crackup:"

So most of this diatribe is falling on deaf ears.

Wheel Bearing, 418 and VFR#52 like this.
  15. VFR#52

VFR#52 Well-Known Member

Actually yes you should stroll over like a man and have a conversation like an adult.
    What's sad is I even have to say this.
    Yes some are deaf and I'm one of them.
    I guess I was raised different than some.
    If I have a problem i go to person and discuss it. I don't get on a BBS thread and cry about something that could have been taken care of in person.
    Some folks think because they spend more money or think they deserve better treatment they should have all their wants and needs taken care of.
    Whoops that don't always work in the real world.
    Now I know Allan and Lane and they are nice guys. And if someone had said something they would have done something to help.
    But I can guarantee that no one with a loud generator loaded up and made the trip to track just to piss off some sensitive people.
    They showed to Race and have fun like everyone else.
    Now if you are not a big enough person to stroll over and ask how you can help to solve issue then that's on you.
    Now if that offends you im sure you will get over it.
    After all this is racing, not bowling or golf.
    So everyone have a great day and some of you smart guys have suggestions on how to quiet these generators down they chime in.
    It's a group evert so everyone can enjoy a quiet nights sleep at track.

Steven Isenhower #52

16. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

I see what you did...

Robby-Bobby, 418 and rd400racer like this.
  17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Where are you racing that 100' from you isn't still near someone else?

18. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

Barber.

What you do is to set up on one of the top tiers. You run your extension cord 100 feet down that grassy slope to your generator that's set up on the next tier down... Jeff did say he was being considerate to his pit neighbors. Not those jackwad non-neighbors on the next level down. :D

19. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Well-Known Member

No Melka , this is BBS , if you want people to be courteous you're "butthurt" . If you can't fall asleep next to a 98db generator , you're a pussy. Get it straight lol

20. t500racer

t500racer Never Fails To Fail

Hmmm.......