So, Lewis Hamilton wants to enter a MotoGP race

Discussion in 'General' started by sdiver, Apr 13, 2017.

1. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Several years ago, Alonso claimed he could podium on a MotoGP bike with a little practice. What a twat.

BigBird and Boman Forklift like this.
  2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Good, no great. I hope he tries. F@ck, I hope he qualifies. More attention, more sposors checking it out and more, more, more!

j cal, MELK-MAN, Lawn Dart and 3 others like this.
  3. deepsxepa

deepsxepa Hazardous

i think the F1 guys just realize they really aint sh@t compared to motoGP riders and this just is self stroking their own egos to even suggest they might somehow be capable of such a majestic performance.

4. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

He could beat Lorenzo

5. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Not saying much. Carol Abraham can beat Lorenzo.

6. BHP41

BHP41 Calling out B.A.N. everyday

Now where's that thread.... "every one needs dreams".....

cpettit likes this.
  7. cav115, Phl218 and joec like this.
  8. It doesn't make a shit if he is 25x F1
    Champ, absolutely none of what he knows translates to the feel of braking while leaning something on 2 wheels, and dragging elbows on the ground, then getting on the gas while leaned over.

He has a sense of speed, ability to think quickly, knows what brake markers are, etc....but absolutely none of that means he could physically pilot a motorcycle quickly.

People made the same "knows how to win" comments when Jordan tried baseball, and look how well that panned out.

When comparing 2 different sports, that require completely different physical abilities, you can't assume that just because someone is good at one, they would be good at another.

Ra.Ge. Raptor likes this.
  9. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

Which makes John Surtees all the more special.

10. deepsxepa

deepsxepa Hazardous

forget the front brakes for a minute... lol

my pressumption is that a rider can adapt to be a driver much quicker than a driver can adapt to be a rider. in much the same way an offroad rider can adapt to on road riding much quicker than a road rider can adapt to offroad riding.

a race car is to race bikes what a padded room is to a tight rope. ;-)

11. I agree 100%.

Driving doesn't require the same physical abilities. In a car, you aren't physically piloting it using your own muscles to make it do what it needs to do.

You aren't using bodyweight, arm and leg muscles, counter-steering, knees on the ground, thighs squeezing the tank, etc all to physically get the car to change directions. You are just turning a wheel and pushing buttons/pedals.

You need the same visual and mental capabilities, in so far as you need to be able to just distance, line intersecting points, sense of speed, etc. The mental aspects of the two are very similar, but it takes much more physical ability to pilot a motorcycle and physically make it change directions.

Since the mental aspects are very similar, I can see a rider making the transition to cars. But a driver making the transition to bikes is a totally different scenario because it brings in physical abilities.

12. Sorta like playing Tiger Woods golf on the PlayStation, vs real golf (I've done both for years).

In either case, you need to be able to judge distance, control the speed of putts, manage the length of your backswing, judge undulations of the greens, etc. The mental aspect of video game golf isn't much different than the mental aspect of actually playing golf.

The difference is that in TW golf I can shoot -13 at Augusta. In real life I would do good to shoot +13.

Just because the mental aspect is the same, that doesn't mean someone has the physical ability to do it (at a Pro caliber level).

13. gpstar748

gpstar748 Well-Known Member

Lewis Hamilton?

Never heard of her

G 97, 600 dbl are, joec and 1 other person like this.
  14. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

When moving from a bike to a F1 there would be some serious adjustment for the G-forces in both the corners and in particular the braking zones. Up to 5 G's in the braking and cornering and 3Gs in acceleration. While we do have to deal with squeezing the tank with our knees in the brake zones to keep from sliding forward, F1 drivers have to deal with the fact that it feels like their eyeballs are being sucked out of the front of their head in the high speed braking zones. F1 drivers have really thick and muscular necks to deal with the cornering forces. Bikes moving to lower spec car racing would be somewhat easier, but F1 is another level.

panthercity likes this.
  15. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

The inverse of this would be Dani Pedrosa playing basketball....some things just aren't meant to be.

16. Jordan owned multiple sportbikes and used to do a good bit of track days (back when he had the Jordan Suzuki team).

He loves motorcycles and was a very good rider. He was 6'6" and 230lbs, obviously not a prototypical bike jockey, but he had a passion for bikes, racing, and was a good rider himself.

BigBird, panthercity and sdiver like this.
  17. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

No argument here, Lots of much bigger guys are faster than me...but then we're not at the pointy end of the spear either. If I had MJ's money and noteriety I'd be all over "test" riding cool shit bikes too. Same for Schummy, Hamilton , etc.....just wouldn't be making any brags about it.

Gorilla George likes this.
  18. For sure, same here.

19. tecknojoe

tecknojoe Well-Known Member

Not really. I rode in the fast group with them at Le Mans. It was 3 chill laps in the morning, then 'be safe have fun' after that. It was worth every penny

20. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

What? All the spainish MotoGP riders could form a team and have Dave K. play center.