Which AR 15 type rifle?

Discussion in 'General' started by Mille R, Jan 26, 2012.

1. used2Bfast

used2Bfast Still healing

Didn't even think about that. Very true. I'd absolutely try it again before casting judgement on the RDS.

If your hitting dead on at say 25yrds, it WILL be crazy high at say 100yrds. Since the bullets trajectory had to go upward 2.5", to meet where the RDS was point at. Its going to carry that same upward trajectory farther down range as well.

2. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

Yeah he didn't explain fully what was happening but that's my guess. He was zeroing it at 15 and 30 ft everytime he moved the target so he's drawing extreme angles. I added more to my post above.

3. blkduc

I recommend zeroing at 50 yards and try it. This means that you will hit at 50, the bullet goes up from there, and will hit again around 215 yards. This is the two points that you are zeroed at...it's where your POA and POI are the same. So that means that from the muzzle to 50yds, the bullet is going to hit either 2.5" low or spot on at 50 (depends on where your target is in that 50), then at 100 yards, you will hit approx 1.5" high,(bullet is arcing up) then hit again around the 215 mark.(bullet drops to hit at this spot and it matches your POA) Your just drawing a big arc.

What all that means is that you will have a kill shot on anything from you to 220 yards because you should be within about a 3" circle. This for most .223/5.56 loads, not your .22lr. I do this with my red dots, magnified scope is different but that's another lesson for later. :D

4. brex

brex Well-Known Member

I have two MP 15-22s both with inexpensive reflex red dot sights, don't recall the brand. The advise to sight at 50 yards and treat them like a 22 is spot on. The ballistics of .22LR are what you see coming into play here.

5. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

With .22lr ammo, you are going to have a lot more variability in the ammo than in other calibers. Also, BlkDuc was correct in that there's going to be a 2.5" height difference between point of aim (scope) and point of impact (barrel) if you take them straight out (imagine a small rod going parallel out the front of both to the target).

Here's a side view of what BlkDuc was explaining for .223/5.56.
    Looking at the far left, you can see the 2.6" the sight is above the barrel.
    Then you can follow the trajectory through the distances (scale at the top)
    And the +/- of zero (scope line of sight) across the bottom (-1.2, 0, +0.9, +1.6, etc..) in terms of inches above/below the scope zero line out to 300yds
    [​IMG]

To get a more full explanation, go to youtube and typ in "50 yard zero" by Gun Websites and you will get some good information.
    Here is what the above graph would look like from the front. The 2nd from the left (50yd) is represented above.
    [​IMG]

6. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

I mainly practice CQB distance, rapid fire, multi target shooting. The indoor range goes a max 75 feet. My zero at 75 feet shoots low at 30 feet. The POI is consistent (low) when I go from longer distance to shorter distance.

Makes sense.

From what I am reading I need to get to an outdoor range and zero at 50.

I appreciate the help.

7. blkduc

^ Exactly, here's another. 0 is your line of sight, that where your red dot or scope or iron sights are aimed, POA NOTE: you are starting off -2.5", that is the key to what he's experiencing. Take that red line and imagine it zeroed at 15 ft like he was doing. Then imagine moving your target just 15 feet more.
    m193 from 16 inch barrel 25 50 and 100 zero 02.jpg

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
  8. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Here's some good online ballistic calculator stuff...
    JBM - Calculations
    You can load their app to your smatphone.

Jedb likes this.
  9. SpeedyE

SpeedyE Experimental prototype, never meant for production

Replacement 3-lug 5" barrel & thread-protector (prototypes) for the Sig MPX-9mm I helped design. The thread-protector is covering 1/2-28C3A threads.

[​IMG]

Replacement 'drop-in' 3-lug bbl (prototype) for CZ scorpion SBR/NFA I was a part of, 9K rounds through it w/out cleaning or lube, no failures, dramatic increase in accuracy over factory bbl.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
    gt#179, sanee and Jedb like this.
  10. sanee

sanee Well-Known Member

so whats the latest news on sbr's? I've chatted with one guy at a retail store and he personally said to wait a bit longer as the waiting times may change soon. 8-10 months is a tad bit long to wait for it/most things

11. SpeedyE

I was always of the thought that 8 months will eventually come, so when it does, you will have it or not.
    When I used to be in C3 stuff, I would pay, then completely forget about it. Like watching a phone to ring....better to forget about it till it does

12. sanee

sanee Well-Known Member

I would like to do it now but don't want to get started now and things change in a couple months....

SpeedyE likes this.
  13. blkduc

Cool, define "dramatic increase in accuracy". Was this on just the CZ or the Sig too?

I've been very curious about both these guns. I haven't shot one yet but I'm very interested, especially in the Sig.

SpeedyE likes this.
  14. Chango

Chango Something clever!

I'm usually just being pessimistic, but even if wait times start coming down it will likely be more to do with backlogs getting knocked out more than policy changes.

15. SpeedyE

Duc,
    My only involvement w/ the bbls was in regard to the 3-lug and the thread protector which has a shoulder on the muzzle end, to reduce suppressor movement (as opposed to a knurled TP w/out a shoulder). I do however know the materials used, processes done, and the heat treats etc.

Here is all I know, I was told they ran 9K rds through the CZ w/out cleaning or lubing it, various ammo. I asked if it was more accurate than oem bbl, and was told "yes, absolutely" but that they haven't done the actual bench accurracy tests yet. So I don't know how much kmore accurate, but I am a dramatic person by nature, so I said "dramatic" :Putter:
    afaik, the sig bbl has been fired, but has not been put through it's paces yet (lot of various rounds and accuracy tests).

I have no dog($) in the fight and wasnt trying to help promote the items, I just thought they were cool pics and was proud that I had a small amount of involvment on something cool :flag:

I havent fired eaither gun, but have dismantled both, have shouldered/played w/ both.
    MPX feels like an AR. Sig feels plastic, but ergonomics feel perfect.
    The Sig internals are higher quality, CZ is cheaper but the design of it is good solid and simple. I was impressed by both, but again, have not fired either.

Here is the sig after I refinished it. It is parkerized-color/paint that was cured at a higher temp to induce a greening/browning effect to it.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Does bbl really mean barrel?

SpeedyE likes this.
  17. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

I just got off the phone with the ATF yesterday about a Form-1 submission (via trust).
    The nice lady stated that they were processing Late April/Early May submissions at the moment.
    So 8-9 months seems to be the wait time at the moment.

On my local (PNW) board, there are others getting stamps back that were a June submission (mostly form 1s, but some form 4s).

There has been some discussion of suppressors being removed from the ATF list, via a congressional bill, but I don't know if that's past the bill creation phase.

SpeedyE likes this.
  18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The bill was introduced to the House in 2015. No clue what the status is now.

19. blkduc

Very cool! Thanks for sharing! BTW, that Sig is HAWT :Putter:

SpeedyE likes this.
  20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Okay - old hearing protection act got dropped. They'll reintroduce this month.