Permission to flip people off

Discussion in 'General' started by TheGrouchyCat, Jul 25, 2016.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

According to the law or according to normal practice? Pretty sure the laws in states I've lived in says you turn right into the nearest lane, you don't get to jump over three lanes.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

He's talking both turning vehicles have a green and they're turning onto a road with two lanes - right turner goes in right lane, left turner goes in left lane.

3. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

ya i get that. but they both cant have a protected green. if they both have green, left turner must yield cuz its not a green arrow and right turner has right of way. if the left turner has a green arrow, right turner has a red and left turner has right of way.

if there was an accident, i bet the driver that failed to yield to right of way would be more at fault... even if the other didnt stick to "their" lane.

4. R Acree

R Acree Banned

If you get the hole shot, you can do the three lane boogie.

Gorilla George likes this.
  5. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

This is correct. And if the left turner has the arrow, then the right turner would have red, and in most states would have to STOP, then yield to oncoming traffic before proceeding.

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That's what I'm saying - I don't think that is true. You do not automatically have the right of way just because you're turning right. People going straight have the right of way yes but the people turing both have the same rights given a regular green light. Maybe if it's both people turning into one lane but I'm pretty sure I remember GA law being specific that you have to turn into the near lane when turning. I'll have to check that if I get bored.

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Again - is that correct in the law or just that's the way people have always done it with regard to right of way?

It's like the whole two people get to a stop sign at the exact same time, the person to the right has the right of way - the thing is that isn't true anywhere. No one has the right of way over another in that scenario.

8. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Yes. Most DOT's are attempting to eliminate the confusion by replacing the "green light means left turn yield to oncoming traffic" with a flashing yellow left turn arrow.

Stop sign not the same scenario. There should never be a situation at a traffic light where there is question who's turn it is to do what (as long as everybody is obeying traffic law). At a stop sign it's first come first serve, and the tie goes to the person on the right.

9. brex

brex Well-Known Member

It absolutely is true, and it is law in Utah for certain, should be in all states.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yes what? That sign still means they yield to oncoming - straight going - traffic. An oncoming car turning is no longer oncoming to the person turning left, they're both going the same direction....

The tie goes to the first person to move. I don't give a shit which side you're on, you hesitate I'm going, there is no right of way. It does not exist.

11. In that scenario, i ALWAYS go first.

Shit on all of that "are you going?"...."ok, then ill go"...."shit you are going"...."now you stopped, ok i will really go this time...".

I remove all doubt and guesswork. If i even think i got there first, i go. Or even if i didnt, if they didnt push their brake marker far enough and are too slow coming to a stop, then i go anyway. :D

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Nope. Don't confuse drivers ed teachings of rules of the road with laws. Utah may have put it into law but the last time I checked the vast majority of states had not. They're too busy with pedestrians in an out of crosswalks and bicycle riders pushing their agenda.

13. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Damn crosswalk laws have made people stupid. They get used to having the ROW at Wally World and think cars will stop on a four lane hwy.

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

FWIW I do think it should be law. Cuts down on the BS overall but it definitely wasn't for a long time. Along with a lot of other normal rules of the road we learned growing up.

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Heard a rumor last weekend if you're in Cali and the person in the crosswalk has not totally crossed the street when you move through the walk they'll arrest you - even on a divided road and they're past the median...

16. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Interesting. You mean like this Georgia law?
    ยง 40-6-70. Vehicles approaching or entering intersection

(a) When two vehicles approach or enter an intersection from different highways at approximately the same time, the driver of the vehicle on the left shall yield the right of way to the vehicle on the right, provided that when a vehicle approaches or enters an intersection with no stop signs or other traffic-control devices from a highway that terminates at the intersection, the driver of that vehicle shall yield the right of way to the other vehicle, whether the latter vehicle be on such driver's right or left. When two vehicles approach or enter an intersection with an inoperative traffic light, the driver of each vehicle shall be required to stop in the same manner as if a stop sign were facing in each direction at the intersection. Drivers shall not be required to stop if the traffic signal is properly signed as a pedestrian hybrid beacon or ramp meter and operating in the unactivated dark mode. When a flashing indication is given, the driver shall stop for the flashing red signal and exhibit caution while passing through a flashing yellow indication.

(b) The right of way rule declared in subsection (a) of this Code section is modified at through highways and otherwise as stated in this chapter.

17. I remember my drivers ed teacher telling everyone that when you are on a 2-lane road, and the car in front of you has stopped and is turning left, you should put your turn signal on also. That way somebody wont come up behind you and try to pass you (not knowing the car in front of you is turning), and t-bone the car that is turning.

........that was the only question i missed on the writted exam for my drivers license. While it makes sense, it is definitely not a law. :rtfrb:

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That covers what exactly? Who the hell wrote that crap?

I truly wish people here understood the difference between flashing yellow and red. Morons stop on yellows all the time - they also blast right through inoperative lights too.

19. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

I don't know of any state traffic code that gives the right of way to someone turning left without the green arrow.

20. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

I used to see that a lot; in fact, I used to do it also.

Nowadays, I don't. I'm hoping one of those impatient drivers behind me will pass us all and knock the left-turner out of the way so I can get going again.

Gorilla George likes this.