The Olympics

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by In Your Corner, Jun 21, 2016.

1. R Acree

R Acree Banned

May?

Congratulations

2. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I'm with you on that...I love the Olympics regardless of the shit-show that always precedes them.

I was a platform diver back in the 60's-early 70's...I watched the qualifications the other night and am still blown away at the dives they are doing now. Back then a 2 1/2 was almost considered a suicide dive. Now they are doing 4 1/2's and nailing them with regularity. Those guys are good!

3. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

I would not surprise me.
    I try not too keep up with news for Brazil, as they are mostly depressing.

In 1994 the Real was introduced as the new currency to Brazil, at the time 1:1 with the dollar.
    Today it it is 3.35:1, not too long ago it was 4:1.

4. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

Those of us who are athlete do.

jase likes this.
  5. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Competitive donut eating isn't "athletic". :Poke:

Robby-Bobby and cajun636 like this.
  6. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Good job by him but I have kin that either were close or went and I still don't watch the olympics

7. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

Show the precinct champion some respect. I hate it when someone who sucks at a particular sport tries to put it down. Next you are going to say that curling shouldn't be in the Olympics, even though we all know your wife has seen to it that you have more time invested in broomsmanship than the last three gold medallists combined.

Orvis and cajun636 like this.
  8. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Thats just a trial sport. The minority beating competition gets quite intense though.

9. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

I eat them and do the steeplechase. Now THAT is talent!

10. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Some of the asinine sports that have been added to the olympics (and the attempt to eliminate wrestling and keeping pentathlon) has me not giving a shit about them anymore.

Racewalking? Really? Badminton, dressage, trampoline, canoeing? Holy f@ck!

Shenanigans likes this.
  11. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

What sport Nigel? My brother ran hurdles in the junior back in the 80s. Had a bad race and didn't finish as well as he probably should have. The winner of that race was Rod Woodson who went on to have a decent NFL career. They ran in Lincoln Nebraska. It was fun doing a go fund me before there were GFM and interwebs. Thankfully the local business stepped up and help my family make it happen.

12. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

He's a distance and mid distance runner. He won at state in the 3000, and also got on the box in the 1500 and the 800. Our goal for the year is to simply make it to the national championship, which is looking fairly promising. We changed from roadracing to track basically in mid stride. He has worked really hard to be competitive in his new sport.
    And Dave, if the racewalk falls at the right point in the program, it gives the real runners a chance to kick back in the shade and recover before their next race, so it's a good thing in its own way.

Boman Forklift, Paige and Shenanigans like this.
  13. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Dude, send out some strippers, male or female, who cares, there's something in it for everyone.

Real runners are athletes. fine tuned like a world endurance car or a top fuel dragster. Racewalkers? Gay!

14. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

Cool my godson runs cross country, also 800 and 3200. He will be a freshman when school starts back. Seems as if Caleb made the transition well, vest of luck to you guys.

nigel smith likes this.
  15. Potts N Pans

Potts N Pans Well-Known Member

Pole dancing is a workout...i am sure it will be in the Olympics soon. :rolleyes:

16. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

If they are looking for experienced judges I may have to sign up!:D

17. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

I prefer to watch the Olympics from Univision, or one of the Spanish speaking broadcasts. I really despise the 45 minute, US Athlete focused, human interest story.

I want to watch the shot put, the javelin, the triple jump, the diving (board and platform), etc. . . And actually enjoy the competition, instead of the manufacturered sentiment.

So, fsck the US broadcasts, gimme the Univision.

JTW likes this.
  18. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Congratulations to you and your boy.
    Good luck when you make it to Nationals!

nigel smith likes this.
  19. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

I can only imagine the work out and dedication it takes to hold a gas jug up long enough to fill up the entire air box.

Funkm05 likes this.
  20. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

No need. The procedure, a delicate one, involves the bike having it's own tank.