1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buyer Beware: Frank Babuska Sr

Discussion in 'General' started by Ducti89, May 21, 2016.

1. ton

ton Arf!

not enough chum here to pay for takeoffs on the yellow ferrari

BigBird likes this.
  2. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

not sure what laws are for motorcycles, but some states for automobiles, all sales are ruled "as-is" unless there is a warranty in writing.. FL is one of those states if not mistaken (not sure how it works in his state). And yea, as many stated, small claims is $5k max in most states. so that is potentially an option as the law may be a little more lax in this area ?? Not takin a side on what he should or shouldn't do, but pretty sure they don't have anything in writing.. so options may be limited.

S Tsotsoros likes this.
  3. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Yeah, worse when you're reading this crap, your cookie expires and that two step verification shit combined with yahoo email shit won't let you post. :D

Wait, maybe that's better?

4. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

So, just for clarification: Trademark requires an active defense, Copyrights do not. Just because you haven't gotten a C&D doesn't mean you're not in violation of the copyright. Also, the US grants copyrights automatically on content creation so just because you haven't filed anything doesn't mean the creation in question doesn't have a copyright. So no, person B can't just duplicate what they want willy nilly 'cause person A hasn't caught wind of it yet...

Mblashfield and ton like this.
  5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Probably better :crackup:

6. ton

ton Arf!

Chris, just to pick a nit, without any comment directed toward our favorite sticker maker...

you've used the "i'm not speeding until i get caught" argument, and it's not correct. now, whether or not enforcement is worth it based on time spent/damages available/proving a point is an entirely different argument.

with respect to Trademark infringement, you're correct that an undefended Trademark may eventually become "genericized"

Edit: dammit, Kurlon beat me to it.

Ellwood likes this.
  7. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Watch for tha C&D letter, pretty sure he filed for a patent. :p

ton likes this.
  8. caferace

caferace No.

Cruzel has, to use an apt analogy, has been doing wheelies up and down the streets of said copyright/trademark holders streets for years, much to their delight.

Certainly an implicit approval, if not a written explicit.

-jim

Jedb likes this.
  9. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

This post says it all...
    Duc89's race season is done or at least very limited now due to other people's greed.

And good call on getting away from that bike. To much bad mojo with it now.

Ride safe,
    AAron

jrsamples likes this.
  10. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

11. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Skank shift.

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Werd.

13. ton

ton Arf!

often better business practice than the social media shitstorm that comes from crushing the little guy over trivialities.

14. ton

ton Arf!

i resemble that remark

15. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

He's already working a case

16. I'm still at a loss why Sr just doesn't try to make this right. Send the guy a check for $2, $3K or whatever is reasonably agreed and call it a day. What he is really doing is f$cking his whole families reputation. Maybe integrity doesn't matter to him but is sure as hell does to me.

17. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

I
    I agree. I'm not the guy that's gonna show up with a 3 foot screwdriver at his house. But damned if I wouldn't have this on every digital media outlet I could stick it on. It would go viral just like it has here. The racing community isn't that big and everyone really looks out for one another. I'd make it known everywhere I could on the interwebs.

SpeedyE likes this.
  18. BigBird

BigBird blah

the problem here...reasonable is $12k. The bike is pretty much junk, especially after seeing the frame, which wasn't even part of the OP's original complaint.

jrsamples likes this.
  19. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

I've been where you are and it sucks. And you're doing what I did, recover what you can however you can and walk away from it.

I commend you on having the guts to address it publicly and endure the resulting social drama. It's the one step I didn't have the guts to do and in retrospect I wish I had.

20. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

Im pretty much at paying the shop to re-assemble the bike as sold and giving it back to him and taking a certified check for $11.5k. Call it a useage fee for the 500 deficit.

Or have a driver deliver it to him at his residence or job and take a check there.

But you know how this has been going...