...With a Coat Hanger?

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Lawn Dart, Dec 16, 2015.

1. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

Let me start by saying, I'm supportive of a woman's right to choose (assumes the father is on board, if he's in the picture)... up to a point. At 24 weeks, whether you support abortion or not, it is generally accepted that a fetus becomes viable... which makes what I'm posting disgusting, regardless of who you are, or where you fall on the spectrum of support.

What concerns me more though is that this is like gas on the coals to ignite another national argument about abortion... and its my state leading the way in stupid (again).

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/16/us/tennessee-woman-tried-coat-hanger-abortion-police-say.html?_r=0

2. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I'd be curious to know what the boyfriend was doing while she was in the bathtub. Did he know that this was going on? :eek:

3. Lawn Dart

Its weird. In every story, there's a complete lack of acknowledgement of the father. She doesn't look or sound like she's all there. I kind of wonder if she either knows who the father is, or if he's just straight up "in hiding". I guess the other thing that's odd - why did she wait until 24 weeks? She could have had it done properly at any time up until then. I half suspect she didn't know she was pregnant until just before the incident.

4. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

That's a bad outcome for all concerned.

There's quite a bit of context missing to opine to this. I'm pro-choice but she was in her 3rd trimester, her termination boat had sailed.

As to any possible reason why she didn't do anything sooner, is Tennessee very restrictive to abortions?

5. Lawn Dart

Yeah - they've tried weird shit, like the mother has to listen to heartbeat and view ultrasound image of the fetus before doing the procedure. Has to be done in a hospital, I believe... But they allow them up to around 24 weeks unless there's health concerns...

Part of the problem I see here is the overzealousness of the police in pursuing this. Yes, it was wrong, and bad timing, but I think they're going to have a tough time prosecuting this in an increasingly progressive/liberal part of the state. First, lack of evidence - no one "saw" her do it. Second, the baby didn't die. Defense can try to claim "birth defects". It's fucked up all around. The kid will be the worst off, whether he eventually knows it or not.

6. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

I don't see how they can charge her. Abortion is legal, they wouldn't be able to charge a doctor for doing it, so how can they charge the mother?

7. R Acree

R Acree Banned

The image I saw of the woman does not make it appear that she was obese, which could hide the presence of a 24 week pregnancy. I don't see how missing 5 or 6 menstrual cycles would not be a sign. If the 24 week time frame is accurate, then it could have been done legally, but just barely.

As for the prosecution aspect, are there crimes in TN for which there is not an option to forego pressing charges? If nothing else, the woman is guilty of felony level stupid.

8. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

This!

9. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I thought that was just like an urban myth or something.....

10. ton

ton Arf!

In TN, along with 22 other states, feticide (against a fetus of ANY age) is homicide. The only exception is a lawful (MD performed) abortion. Self abortion obviously does not qualify.

11. turtlecreek

turtlecreek Well-Known Member

Try performing heart surgery on someone, killing them and see how things go for you.

The Dung Beetle likes this.
  12. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Anyone stupid enough to let me cut I to their chest is too dumb to survive anyways. :p

13. turtlecreek

Apparently, your wife lets you do things that are often illegal, yet I think she seems pretty intelligent.....what a quandry. ;)

14. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

She's left handed and a Gemini. Good luck figuring her out. :p

15. turtlecreek

You could have stopped at she.....qualification enough for me not understanding. :D

16. joec

joec brace yourself

Dude....You're on a roll tonight.

17. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

So everyone that undergoes heart surgery survives? What do we do with those evil doctors that manage to lose a patient on the table?

Not my kid. Don't care if she blew it out of her ass with an air compressor. If she's that fuckin stupid do we really want her genetics to continue replicating?

18. Lawn Dart

What do you do with the child now? He survived. Albeit, his quality of life is almost certainly guaranteed to be lower than it was before.

19. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

His quality of life was going to suck with her as a mother any way. Once again it's not my kid so I don't really get a say so in what happens to him now. I suggest caring for him to make sure he lives long enough to beat her to death with a coat hanger.

crashman and Lawn Dart like this.
  20. turtlecreek

Wow, that's almost touching venom. Must be the Christmas season.....