1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

It ain't cheating til you get caught -VW Diesels

Discussion in 'General' started by BigBird, Sep 18, 2015.

1. Talked to the dot emissions people in Phoenix today. Asked them if could test my 2009 TDI if i were to register one in Phoenix
    The reply was its under review but for now you can get through emissions testing.

2. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

3. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Bla bla bla, this couldn't have happened to a better company, it makes me warm and fuzzy that the 1000 malocchio's I threw their way (what just a yr or two ago?) finally came around on them. This will cost them millions if not more! HAhahahaaaaa! I'd love to see them tank. :crackup:

And their dealers too, cuz that fvcker could have done the right thing. :down:

:D

4. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

But the laugh's on you! Doily goan get paid!

You got nothin' but a hole in your wallet where your pride used to be. :p

And WTF is a malocchio? Some kinda Sicilian voodoo curse or something? :moon:

5. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

Here's the thing, any of that shit they want to add on, they're going to need to pay to maintain. If it wasn't there when I bought it, I ain't paying for it. You want to fix your f-up by putting urea after treatment? Guess who's paying for the exhaust fluid? Hint, it's not me!

6. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

Not just him:).

7. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Yeah, maybe $20, a reflash, slightly lower mpg and the good lawyers will all get yeller ferraris and gold plated aircraft carriers.

The EPA will get 10 figures, the lawyers will get 8 or 9 and D'earl will get a coupon for $.20 off ricearoni and a continuing breaking heart because he want an M235i.

8. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

That's $20 more than Blart's getting from VAG. :moon:

9. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

Check out the real culprits, carbon monixde and hydrocarbons.

Diesels kick the gas engine ass!

10. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

saleman pitched you the "after the warranty expires" line... which means you'll be back in the showroom a few years down the road when the flash makes engine go boom! That's a good one! :D;)

11. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

Urea is cheep as piss. (I crack myself up)

The question is, if vw puts a system like that on there, are they responsible for 100% of the costs associated with it for eternity? The def tanks on my car have been quoted at $2500 to replace and they fail semi-often.

12. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Wow, that is something I wouldn't have thought of. I've only had one fuel tank fail in all the years I've driven and it was a used Isuzu diesel. I don't know how/what the previous owner might have done to cause it to start rusting out?

13. flyboy

flyboy Well-Known Member

Our DEF tank had a problem on our X5 too. Low level sensor failed and the whole tank had to be replaced. Close to 2K....luckily under warranty

14. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

I believe most of the Def tanks are plastic, not metal. It is usually the pumps and/or the electronics that fail not the actual tank itself. Sometimes they can get clogged up if the def sites too long. Unfortunately the way they build stuff today, it is all an integrated unit and they end up having to replace the whole thing when even the smallest part fails.

This is similar to our clothes dryer where $0.50 plastic button actuator failed and the entire $250 control board had to be replaced, thankfully under warranty. Without the warranty, I would have had to hear my wife complaining about a bit of glued on Popsicle stick being used as the power button.

15. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

if you have to add urea to the systems that's going to be a huge mess. Just as an example with the new golf sportwagen compared to the gas motor or the last gen jetta sport wagon, they have to get rid of the independent suspension in the rear and put a smaller gas tank to make room for the adblue tank and associated plumbing. I don't think it's going to be as easy as adding something like this unless the do something like remove the spare tire and give you fix a flat or something. and yes, the emissions stuff is $$$. the diesel particulate filter (DPF) is another emissions device that if it plugs up/fails, is big $$$ to replace. I think they will have to offer a pretty solid extended warranty on all the emission hardware as now it'll have to do extra duty compared to how it was originally designed (to meet lower emissions I"m sure). If they run the motor in EPA mode, they'll have to replace quite a few things under warranty I"m sure..

try to figure out somewhere on your car that you can just add a 5 gallon tank (think putting a VP fuel canister somewhere in your car that won't get in the way and looks like it was supposed to be there).

16. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

DEF has to be stored in plastic or stainless tanks.
    The module that contains the level and quality sensors and heating element. Is usually produced as a single unit. They are canbus nodes so they can't be bypassed or tampered with.

17. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

<starbucks drinker> "Hey man, are you pissed about your car?"

<me buying a twix> "Whaa?"

<now smug starbucks drinker in front of his impressed GF> "You know, the engine being no good and the government confiscating your car"

<annoyed me because he's between me and my twix> "Dude, what the holy hipster f@ck are you trap flapping about? The VW diesel non issue? My car is gasoline. Maybe you should shut the f@ck up unless you actually know what you're talking about."

<dude and chick> "You don't need to . . ."

<me interrupting> "Yeah, I f@ckin' do. You're a know nothing trying to impress another know nothing. . . Hey, where you go? Hey, nice f@ckin' Prius!"

18. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

:crackup:
    Man. You really are a dick...:up:

19. BigBird

BigBird blah

Yeah....not for nothing Dave, but I would like to see how that would play out in the Bronx...

20. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

But I'm not in the bronx and most likely will never be back in the bronx. I'm in a commuter wanna be yuppie town in NoVa and so is my Twix.