1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

It ain't cheating til you get caught -VW Diesels

Discussion in 'General' started by BigBird, Sep 18, 2015.

1. BigBird

BigBird blah

Volkswagen Used Illegal Software to Cheat Emissions Tests: EPA

"A software algorithm...used on roughly 482,000 Volkswagen vehicles with four-cylinder diesel engines is able to detect when the car is undergoing official emissions testing..results in cars that meet emissions standards while being tested, but emit 40 percent more nitrogen oxides while driving."

"Volkswagen may be liable for civil penalties... which could total up to $18 billion if the EPA leverages its maximum find of $37,500 per vehicles"

:tut:

2. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

Lol, factory aftermarket tune FTW!

HRC-E.B. likes this.
  3. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

And it only took them 5 years to figure it out.

4. daveknievel

daveknievel I love orange kool-aid

And still getting 40+ mpg. Eff the epa.

5. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

:stupid:

6. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

This makes me wanna buy a TDI

7. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

They can't even use the English language correctly. Volkswagen didn't use "illegal" software to "cheat the test. They used software to pass the test while ignoring regulations while you were driving around to maintain reasonable performance in their vehicles.

Good on you Volkswagen.

8. antirich

antirich Well-Known Member

NY Times reviewer was getting 60+mpg on their 2016 Golf TDI. And they weren't pussy footing it either.

Highest MPG of any liquid fuel auto they've tested, including Hybrids.

9. opinion914

opinion914 Well-Known Member

:stupid:

10. Pitdad42

Pitdad42 Well-Known Member

Good for VW. I hope they figure out a way to tell the EPA where to put their fines.

HRC-E.B. likes this.
  11. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Me too. Actually I was planning on it already. I would have already bought one but somebody on here noted that the infotainment center would be all updated for 2016. Glad I waited.

What cracks me up is all the morons commenting on that article that don't understand what the defeat program did. It DID NOT make the MPG claims incorrect, it just reduced the emissions during those tests.

12. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

I guess they took a page from the operational ethics in 1980's era NYC.

"Its only a crime if you get caught"

13. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

Dam even though they are crap vehicles I kinda like VW now.

14. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Makes me think of Ducati.....:D

15. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

16. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

Same here. I respect them all of a sudden.

17. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

I'll be curious to see what the actual letter of the regulation is that VW circumvented with their software. The article was clearly written from the perspective that VW is a bunch of cheaters, but it could be that VW is just smarter than whoever wrote the regs and exploited a loophole.
    I'll bet that VW never said their vehicles had a "defeat device", that is likely the terminology used by the press and the EPA. VW probaly said something like they had software which utilized specific parameters during emissions testing. Maybe cheating and maybe clever. Perhaps EPA should take a hint from the WERA rule book and stipulate that unless it specifically says you can do something then it is not allowed.

18. vfrket

vfrket Lost Member

19. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

:crackup::crackup:

Stunned morons do not realise that they were still polluting less due to the amazing fuel economy. I cetainly hope that Ms. Shah is not researching anything that I will ever use because her comments make her seem pretty dim for a post doctorate researcher.

20. joec

joec brace yourself

So how the hell will they ever enforce it beimg done? Can they use software to check to see if whatever it is, is up and running? It would seem almost impossible to tell.

Somethingi. Learned recently is that you can tune the feedback of the steering wheel. Since its fly by wire, theres a way to make it stiffer. I thought that was cool.