Quadcopter for track day?

Discussion in 'General' started by bradd15, Feb 20, 2015.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

AMA deal and no clue on the video it shot.

2. mastermind

mastermind camping in turn 2....

Not gonna happen at any trackday I run.

Also, many tracks are also banning them. So at some tracks even if I wanted to allow them, I can't.

t

3. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Question is ....Would anyone be liable if it was shot out of the sky? :D

Steady T likes this.
  4. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

:up:

Thats what I like to hear.

5. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

Technically it doesn't, but the new rules don't say that, they say no flights within five miles of an airport.
    http://www.latimes.com/nation/nationnow/la-na-nn-faa-drone-model-airplane-rules-20140623-story.html

And some companies, such as DJI, which makes the phantom that was used in sportbikes vid, are updating their software so that you won't be able start up your quad if you're within five miles of a registered airport.
    http://www.suasnews.com/2014/04/28442/dji-introduce-firmware-to-prevent-flight-near-airports/

There are also lots of AMA hobby fields that share space with small airport fields or are located within five miles of an airport.

6. mastermind

So if I blast it with my AR, and it lands in your low country boil - will you sue me????

t

TLR67 likes this.
  7. Sacko DougK

Sacko DougK Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure these are all COA's (Certificates of Authorization). A COA is only issued to a government agency. Pretty much all of these were issued to state agencies and state universities. I know the private university I was working with was not able to receive a COA, despite the people we were working with were government.

The arctic region was opened up a couple of years ago, but to many surprised people there wasn't much activity up there besides arctic researchers. The FAA recently (like a week ago) came out with the proposed regs that have been talked about for the last couple of years. They also recently just issued a license to a realtor I believe.

As for use of a quad-rotor around a hot race track, I would advise against it.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
  8. Newsshooter

If you can hit it with your AR your a better shot than most with an AR. :D

9. mastermind

It was a hypothetical question, of course. :D

t

10. Newsshooter

I was thinking about using a quad for movers after seeing a vid where they used it for archery movers. Shooting movers is fun!!

11. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

That's a bold statement to make. So, if I we're a paid professional drone aviator who used one to shoot a TV series like Gold Rush or whatever and offered to film a trackday for you to use for promo purposes for free, you wouldn't allow it? I wonder how many track day orgs said with a n absolute that they would never allow a photog on course with a camera. Just seems silly and narrowminded.

Peanut37 likes this.
  12. Newsshooter

:stupid:

Just because Joe Blow and his Phantom show up doesn't me they should have access but to just dismiss it outright with little knowledge seems to be poor judgement, you aren't a politician are you? :Poke:

13. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Little late for this..

https://www.airdog.com/

Put one of those auto panning cameras on a pole near your favorite corner. Like the soloshot one..

14. madkaw

madkaw Meh...

I would like to know what happens when the "follow me" feature becomes interrupted or lost? Does it wander around searching for a signal? Does it land? Does it fly away?

15. Ryan Nelson

Ryan Nelson Well-Known Member

I've flown a couple at a bunch of national level tracks (Daytona, Mid-Ohio, Laguna, Barber, Road America, etc), but always after hours when the day is done or on a setup day. I do know what I'm doing, been flying them for several years, have an FAA private pilots license, fly the quadcopters non-commercially, and with no spectators at the track. I know at least Daytona and Barber now have rules on the books against them, which I totally understand at a spectator event. I do think commercial use for motorsports television is right around the corner. I like the proposed legislation the FAA published the other day - reasonable. Commercial use you'll need the take the FAA written exam, which is a good thing IMO since they will be airspace aware.
    http://youtu.be/hpmtZnVplKY

Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
  16. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Hell no! I will toast to it! And don't forget to tether these drones if you do fly em..:crackup:

17. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

I remember similar statements that were made about things that are common place today at the track.

Ride safe,
    AAron

18. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

You guys remind me of all the scientists in the original Jurassic Park, telling John all the things that will go wrong.

Honestly, I think it would be relatively simple to draft an unmanned aerial vehicle policy that was safe for riders and spectators. The question would be enforcement and penalties

19. hrc_nick_11

hrc_nick_11 Well-Known Member

Just give Clay H. a shot gun and that bitch is coming down! We did some drone shooting practice at Richards birthday party.

20. mastermind

If I came across as a dick on my blanket statement banning quadcopters, you have my apology for sounding like a dick.

As a renter of various tracks, I have to make sure the activities at my event conform to the rules in the contract set out by the venue. Various tracks are now writing a no drones statement into the contract. I'm not really in a position to contest that... of all the things I need to discuss and manage with tracks, this is pretty far down the list. If I'm going to ask them for an exception to their policy, I have to have a good reason.

As far as safety goes - I realize the technology on these things is jumping by leaps and bounds to make them safe - and I realize that one operated by a certified operator is all that more safe. But bottom line, I have to consider what would happen if one landed on a hot track and created an accident, where people could be seriously hurt or killed. At this point in time I am not willing to take that risk.

If it was a private trackday with a few friends, I'd say cool - as long as everyone there is cool with it. One of our trackdays is a public event though - so the considerations are completely different.

I know, right? That guy is such a good shot... it made me want to put my guns away and just start drinking! Actually.. I think that's what I did...... :D

t