Singles anyone?

Discussion in 'General' started by mmfoor, Sep 1, 2014.

1. mmfoor

mmfoor Team Stupid!

Will there be some examples at the Vintage Festival? I'll keep an eye out. Gonna catch the SOS races for sure and the way the rules have given the singles less singles classes I'll bet I see some out there with me in BOT3.

2. t500racer

t500racer Never Fails To Fail

As a more "budget friendly" single racer, my friend has been trying to convince me to build a hopped up DR 650 motor (I think they actually make a 700 or 750cc kit?) in a GS500 frame with GSXR forks, wheels and swingarm.

Would a monstrosity such as this have any hope of being competitive in any classes?

3. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

4. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

5. mmfoor

mmfoor Team Stupid!

Just cause Melissa Paris can fit on it doesn't mean I can. :D

This does seem like a good way to go, not only for a realistic stepping-stone class for kids coming up but a solid alternative to those of us wanting a bit more than we can run in ESS but not stupidly fast.
    Hope they bring 'em over here. And sure, a bit pricey, but we all know the way to buy a race bike is to get one that someone else put all the money in and then has to bail for half of what it's worth. Been on both sides of that equation.

6. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

The ktm 390 would make a great spec class bike IMO.

7. grady anderson

grady anderson Well-Known Member

Karsten Illg will have his Framecrafters GP framed 450 there. If I can make it with my 690 I will be consulting with him on a similar treatment for my 690.

8. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

I'm a fresh faced 46... the "fast" part is debateable, but I'd love to give the KTM a go. Going to the GNF?

9. mmfoor

mmfoor Team Stupid!

I plan to leave my trailer at Barber for the GNF the following week. If not broke from the V Fest hope to run National LWT on Sunday. Can't believe this Grady dude is a year older than me!:D

10. g maloney

g maloney Well-Known Member

Vintage festival unlikely, but not out of the question. Gnf the next weekend is the plan.

11. duggram

duggram Sunrise Bahia de LA

Last year about this time I contacted Karsten about making a frame for my WR450. He mentioned a few of the reasons for using one of his frames, like engine location, geometry, etc. I'm not too sharp on frame design and can't remember all the details. But I do remember the base price at that time was $5K, with any additional brackets/work more $. Also, at the time there was a 6 month waiting list. This all seemed reasonable to me, but I didn't do it. However, I'm 64, getting ready for retirement, and got into ADV riding this summer with my WR and a new STenere. I still would like to have a WR450 super single, but it will have to wait until next summer.

12. dakh

dakh Well-Known Member

With the KTM single sport bike incoming paying 5K for a custom frame seems excessive.

I still am looking for a 125GP roller to put a CRF450r motor in by the way :)

13. grady anderson

It is more than just a frame. S/A, tank and more.

I had considered a 250 roller but they are rare to find and never cheap. In both cases using rollers you are more limited than building a chassis around a motor.

The KTM sportbike is a 390 right? Besides that, it won't be a GP geometry super light true race bike. My 690 is at the point now that to improve it the geometry must be changed. Motor position, rake, wheel base and COG are all factors that are tough to change without a frame change.

14. grady anderson

A solid maybe on going.
    I have seen you ride young man. No debate on the fast part.
    You are welcome to give it a try if we find ourselves the right place and time.

15. grady anderson

:beer:

16. duggram

duggram Sunrise Bahia de LA

If you want some info on the Framecrafters deal, contact Karsten. I've been on the phone with him a few times now and he is quite a conversation. I'm trying to attach his price list that he sent me today. You can see the 450 here.

The bare 450 frame is 3750, and the kit is
    BM-GP Frame Kit.......................................................$6000.00
    Includes bare main frame, sub frame, motor mounts, radiator,
    steering head bearings, swing arm, aluminum fuel tank,
    FC rear shock linkage kit, cdi\gauge mount,
    and shift shaft extension\support.

The rest of the optional parts come to quite a bit, but you can see how you might save a lot by sourcing yourself. Also, he said he is just finishing up the specs on a KTM 690 kit which sounds pretty interesting.

I want to do this project in the worst way but I made the mistake of plating my WR and using it for ADV riding. Now I need to find another WR. For old guys like myself this seems like a good option for a light weight bike with a little more power than the 250 Ninjettes. Karsten says he hears from a lot guys like me. I hope more folks go thru with these kind of projects.

Attached Files:

17. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Cool, I'll look for you there. Just planning on doing the Endurance round as I don't have a race bike at the moment (that just feels wrong to even type...)

18. hrc_nick_11

hrc_nick_11 Well-Known Member

There was a guy that used to have a big single in a Yamaha 400 chassis and ran at Grattan. Not sure if it was a 660 or a rotax but it looked fun he boxed in the area behind the head stock and had the fuel in that. I have no idea who it was but that bike was neat.

19. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Should anyone consider the Framecrafters route, they built me a one off mono shock swingarm for my XS650. The quality is superb. They are only an hour from me so I was able to spend some time in the shop. Karsten and Randy are beyond nice, and spent over an hour just bullshitting with me about different projects, racing, etc.

They built me exactly what I wanted and it came out perfect. Highly recommended.

20. daveknievel

daveknievel I love orange kool-aid

hey Grady, I raced at summit with you back in may. I was the guy on the white ktm 690 supermoto. it was my first race. you guys smoked me down the straight as I was playing with gearing, and come to find out I had the cam a tooth off. she runs good now, but what gearing are you running?