1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting Started In Endurance

Discussion in 'WERA National Endurance Series' started by kman0066, May 2, 2014.

1. ...can i wear one with a boat anchor on it?

but on the flip side i shouldn't have to wear it by the GNF i'm going racing before then.

2. Thanks Sean. We will figure it all out then.

Are you guys going to join with CMRA next year and run endurance with them? Or are you canning the series as a whole with WERA Pro coming into play?

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Right now there are two series going on we are involved in. The WERA National Endurance Series - which will not run in 2015 - and the USNE we are running combined with CMRA. That may or may not happen, we'll be figuring it out later at some point.

4. Awesome. Thanks for the info. Happy to get back on my bike asap and get a ton of time in the seat.

5. What front pads are you guys having good success with? The bike has vesrah rjl on them. We are talking about switching them to vesrah srjl but I don't want to fight brake issues. So if there is something better I'm all for it.

I think I am gonna pony up and buy quick change axles, dry break fuel fill and I need to get some guards on my exhaust so I stop melting my boots. Anything else you guys recommend? I don't mind spending the money for the right reasons. I still run this bike in superstock for sprints and will end up doing solos as well.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
  6. rwood64083

rwood64083 Gifted as in 'DUHHHH'

Brake pads... use what makes your team feel comfortable. If you all agree on Vesrah then run them. I'm run Vesrah or Carbon Lorraine. Lot of guys run the EBC's. Just a matter of personal preference and what works best on your bike. You won't burn up a set of pads during an endurance race.

Leo Vince sells some nice carbon fiber exhaust heat shields in different sizes. Seem to work well on our A-bike.

As for quick change axles and dry break fuel fill equipment... it's just a matter of how much money do you want to spend vs. how many endurance rounds are you planning on doing. If you're planning on running next year you might want to wait and see what Sean and Evelyn will try to plan out at the end of the season for next year. Whether there will be an endurance series next year is up in the air. There are other org's running endurance but not sure the direction you're wanting to take this. Reason I'm mentioning this is because the cost of axles and quick-fuel equipment is pricey. 5 gallon jug with Redhead (and a stand) is around 400.00 +/- and you'll need to cut and modify the fuel tank to accept the 200.00 Drybreak receiver.

7. Phl218

Phl218 .

My take on this: keep it simple

Assuming we will have to change tires twice, we will need an extra set of wheels. With "not so fast riders" on the team any investment on quick change stuff is $$$ wasted IMHO

8. Yeah you're probably right. What my cost on them isn't bad at all. I may just do it for the hell of it if I feel up to it. Dry break I'll skip. Pads I'm going to switch regardless of anything I wasn't a big fan of them when I rode it last.

From what it's looking like we will switch rears once maybe twice and the front should last the duration. We already have a back up set of wheels with rains on them. So I'm gonna buy another set of wheels and be done.

Randy did you get my text the other night? My phone has been doing weird shit and I won't get people's messages for days if at all.

9. kman0066

kman0066 Well-Known Member

I never did get too far. I had wanted to form a team for the Barber endurance round on my ZX-10R with Peter and Andy, but after Andy's accident, I've put it in the back of my mind. I'm not the most socializing person, so finding teammates isn't the easiest thing for me.

I did get the bike setup with captive spacers for the wheels, I beveled the rear brake pads which makes swapping the rear a TON easier on my bike, and I bought a couple of the tuff-jugs (not exactly super-fast endurance racing tanks, but much easier/faster than a conventional gas tank). I had figured on not investing in the quick-change axles until completing at least 1 event and the stuff I've already bought helps me in between sprint races as well. For brake pads, I have the EBC GPFA pads on my bike, which last me all season doing sprints, so I figured they would be good for an endurance round.

I will be at the Barber/GNF round whatever I end up doing, whether that's riding or just spectating.

10. rwood64083

Alex, Colin, Phil... you guys all going to ride the same team?
    Colin, we may be moving soon and if all goes as planned we'll be closer to your area.

11. kman0066

I've actually never talked with them about it, but I would be interesting in helping if they need another rider. Heck, we can even use one of my bikes, if even just for backup. :Poke: :D

Cool deal, it's nice out here. If you like a nice quiet town while still having decently quick access to the city, it's just that.

12. Phl218

Phl218 .

I'm in for errthang.

And money and fame and ...

13. I'm only here for the whores. Oh and cigars.

But seriously. I will PM you my number. We will talk. I'm not opposed to anything.

14. rwood64083

:up:

15. Phl218

Phl218 .

16. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

ya don't need any of that quick change stuff or extra wheels...especially if you're running MW class :)

17. kman0066

Well heck, ended up busy another day. I'm doing some contract work in the evenings. Gah...but it pays for racing! So, I'll just type this out here in place of a call for now before I head off to bed.

I am seriously looking to do the endurance round. I would be happy to either offer myself up as a rider for your team or I can start a team if you'd like to ride with me, either way.

About me:
    I've been riding motorcycles for about 14 years now. Been on the track for about 5 of those years. This is my third year in racing, all with WERA. I usually end up towards the back of the 1000 expert classes on the ZX-10R in sprint races and about the middle on the 600 classes on my GSX-R.

About my bikes:
    2011 ZX-10R (Superstock) - This is my original intent to use for endurance racing and I think it's still my preference. It's crazy powerful, has traction control, and is well setup, for superstock rules at least. Race ECU, built motor, full suspension, etc. I do 1:35 laps at Barber on it during sprints, 1:38s is what I end up doing when in a more relaxed state. I'm really hoping to improve that with the endurance race. I've been kind of stuck at those times for 3 events at Barber. I have spare wheels for this, but no quick change setup.

2007 GSXR 600 (Superstock) - Could use this bike as well. It's got the basic mods done to this, nothing too special. Built motor, tuned stock suspension. This one I can ride all day long at full pace, no fatigue. It's easy to ride. But I only do 1:39 for lap times at Barber on this one. On the other hand, it will go farther on 1 tank of gas and is much easier on tires. No T/C, but it doesn't really need it.

Team/Equipment:
    I've got a couple of the ripper gas tanks to use for faster fill-ups, all the basic tools we would need, and a portable impact gun. My wife can help with fire-guard for pit-stops. I don't think she could handle the tire changes, so we'd have to take care of that ourselves.

My interest in endurance racing:
    I really would like the experience of it and the track time. Really just for the fun of it most of all.

In either case, I have an aftermarket M/C to put on one of the bikes for the endurance race. I have to leave it off normally for Superstock, but I think it's an important difference between Superstock and endurance racing.

Funding:
    If it's my bike, the only thing I would ask is equal share payments for the race entry fee and tires. I'll take care of anything else: put fresh brake pads on it, buy gas, etc. Hopefully, it would only be 1 front and 2 rears.

If your bike, let me know what you'd like. I'm happy to contribute.

I'll be at Tally in August if you want to meet me in person. After that is GNFs for me, unless I find an event in Sept. to do.

--
    Colin Gast
    Nolensville, TN

18. i read this btw. i literally haven't had a moment to breathe in the last 5 days. 80 hour weeks are great, i love being hourly. call me sunday, we'll figure it out. i almost feel bad being on this team now. maybe you fred and phil should do this and i'll smoke a cigar. haha. i'm VERY slow. i just want to ride a ton and learn.

19. kman0066

Just called, left you a message. Call me back when you can talk, 615-968-6366. No good excuses really, just kept being busy and putting off calling. :crackhead: The good news is that I've got my ZX-10R ready to go racing again for Tally in a couple of weeks!

--Colin