1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting Started In Endurance

Discussion in 'WERA National Endurance Series' started by kman0066, May 2, 2014.

1. kman0066

kman0066 Well-Known Member

So I'm reading through the threads here in this forum and through the rule-book, but I was wondering if anyone knows a good write-up/primer on what all it takes to get started in Endurance racing. Meaning: equipment needed, personnel needed, some basic strategies (Do you race for 1 tank of gas and switch riders each tank of gas? Or do you do a set time for each rider?) 2 riders for a 4 hr race sound right? Or do you try to always have 3 riders?

Also, concerning fuel tanks, do most/some people run the stock tank in Endurance racing or is a larger fuel tank pretty much a given? ('11 ZX-10R is the bike in question == $1800 for the endurance tank) Same with the fuel filler. Just run the stock tank filler and a plain ole gas can for the first round?

Or is it all just a find it as you go thing? Was your first endurance setup just a stock bike: stock gas cap, no quick-change, etc. Assemble a team, put some endurance tires on it, and give it a shot?

I ask, because the thought has crossed my mind to try and do an endurance round this year after a fellow rider expressed interest, trying to figure out what prepare to make that happen.

2. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

Are you trying to win?

3. kman0066

Ah, good point. While I would love to, I don't have the talent to win...but I'd like to at least try and be semi-competitive. I guess the first goal is to finish a race, doing the full length(time).

4. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

The only endurance race I've ever run was a 2-hour on a XR100...

But it was a great experience, and I can't foresee how doing the same on a full-sized bike (even if you finish last) would be any less fun.

I would vote to just take the plunge with whatever equipment you've already got. Then decide what you "need" to spend money on. I would even try to run street tires, and avoid any tire changes. Less money, and more fun (unless you have a crew that enjoys the pit-stops).

purely my $.02 though.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Try it and then go from there. You'll see all sorts of options on how to do things but really, not everything works for every team. So it's a bit of learn as you go. Go into the first round ready to just have fun and get some track time.

6. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Racers who are used to race rubber + racing on a ZX-10 on street tires could = high side city unless you already have a good TC set up and are willing to run it in a conservative mode. Ask your tire vendor if they have a tire that will last the race distance or at least limit the number of changes.

7. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

It all depends on what your goal is going to be. For us it's to have fun, so we do 4 riders that ride one hour each. No need for a big tank if you are only going to ride an hour (at least on a SV). We don't have quick change gear or anything like that. While we only manage to get on the box once every blue moon when everyone else does something wrong, we have fun every time.

8. rwood64083

rwood64083 Gifted as in 'DUHHHH'

Colin, if you're interested let's try to get together soon and talk endurance.

We're headed to the 6hr Hallett round in two weeks then the 4hr Roebling round in two months. You're welcome to hang out in the pits if you'd like to get some ideas.

9. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

I understand your concern here, but I have to believe experienced racers can feel-out and adapt to harder tires, no?

10. kman0066

Ah. That would be cool. Let me check my calendar this evening and see if I can make one of those events.

11. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Some probably can all the time. Some probably can until someone passes them for position. In the end, the best choice here would be to ask one of the tire vendors. They will know the best I would think.

12. kman0066

Well, my anniversary is the Hallett weekend, so that one's out. I'm trying to figure out Roebling now.

13. rwood64083

rwood64083 Gifted as in 'DUHHHH'

No problem.

Drive/ride over to Brentwood anytime. We'll hang out on the patio and talk track over drinks.

14. mmfoor

mmfoor Team Stupid!

Kurt is spot on. Having fun is the game for us. Sure you can race in a class that has low attendance, go to every round and finish, and get your championship. And that's cool if that's what blows your skirt up.
    But the expense for multiple bikes, quick change shit, travel, etc ain't worth it for a hollow championship IMO. Now if you are in one of those classes like AOD that goes fast against top-flight competition, cool.
    But when I ride with Yo! we go reasonably fast, go safe, and have the time of our lives! Thank you Kurt!

15. design-engine

design-engine design-engine

I want to start endurance racing too. I've done an hour straight at Jennings before. I can't imagine 2 hrs or more

16. acwhite84

acwhite84 Well-Known Member

Let me know if you need a rider on the zx10! I would love to chip in on some endurance racing.

17. JBall

JBall REALLY senior member

Most teams run each rider about an hour at a time (however long your fuel will last) and then switch off. I've done half of a six hour several times and as long as you get breaks and rehydrate its really not too bad. When it's hot I use a Camelback which helps out also.

By the rules you can't go more than two hours in a row with one rider anyway.

18. kman0066

You coming out to Road Atlanta for Cycle Jam? I can talk to you about it there if you're interested. Peter mentioned doing an endurance before so I'll try and get him in too, so there'd be 3 of us right there, all familiar with the bike already. That would be cool.

19. acwhite84

acwhite84 Well-Known Member

Yea I'm def in for cycle jam.

20. You ever make any headway on this? I've been tossing around the same idea. Get a couple dudes together and run a 4 hour on my r1. No plans of winning but it sounds like it would be a good time.