1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Snap On, Matco, Blue Point?

Discussion in 'General' started by Scotty87, Oct 31, 2013.

1. Trinity Rx7

Trinity Rx7 Well-Known Member

Get the number off the Snap-On truck if you see it driving around. Call them and set up to meet him at one of his regular stops near by. This is what I have done in 2 different cities I have lived in since I dont turn wrenches for a living anymore and the truck doesnt come by weekly. You can also call around to some local shops and ask if they have the number of the Snap-On guy.

They will meet you some place to sell or repair tools.

2. A&J Cycles

A&J Cycles Well-Known Member

I have all three, Race tool box is mostly Craftsman, I have exactly what I need to rebuild a bike at the track, engine too.
    Shop, I have a mix of Snap On and Matco. Wrenches are matco, the edges are rounder and don't annoy you after a good 20 30 mins of use. Sockets are Mostly Snap On 1/2 3/4, 1/4's are Matco and 1/4 swivels are matco. Snap On swivel sockets have a ring around the bottom that makes is a little hard to get into tight spots.

Tool box's have all the Snap On Matco and Mac, I like my Mac Box better, then Matco and finally Snap on. Brought the Snap on for the engine room and the drawers feel rickety as hell.

All have pretty good Warranty's so it comes down to mechanics choice.

Good tools keep you from tearing up projects, the proper tools make a Job go SOOOOOOO much smoother.

3. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Couple ratchets, but numerous torx drive sockets and hex bit sockets. This is normal use and without breaker bars. And I'm not rounding shit over, it's flat out snapping in half. If a fastener has locktite on it, the tool is a goner. I've been at a Sears returning broken shit nearly once a month lately, it seems. It's like the metal used in those pieces is not hardened correctly. Screwdriver tips act like they're made out of lead.

I do have 20+ year old Craftsman sockets and wrenches that are great, though. It's just the new stuff.

4. A&J Cycles

Stop by any of your franchise dealerships, they should have all four stopping by, some may not have Mac or Cornwell, typically I see them not getting too much business. Introduce yourself to the tool man and build a repor. He's there to make money, Money has no owners, just spenders "Omar" The Wire.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
  5. A&J Cycles

Look into getting a Impact Screw Driver, and a small propane torch to heat said torx sockets up before attempting removal

6. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

Who can replace them when they break? What I mean is; which dealer will be the most accessible to you when you need service?

I personally prefer snap on tools, but Mac wrenches. (I actually turn wrenches to make a living) The Mac wrenches have a larger flat spot for your hand so it doesn't feel like the wrench is cutting into your fingers. Matco is pretty much just a cut above craftsman, if not the same for some of the tools.

7. MotoGP69

MotoGP69 Well-Known Member

I went through this a couple of years ago. After a few tries, I found a great local Snap On guy that takes care of me. Don't forget craigslist and eBay too, as there are often new tools for sale at a discount. Also, keep in mind that certain items are rebranded for the tool truck companies and can be purchased direct for way cheaper (like my Precision Instruments torque wrench). Be careful, though, as this shit can be addictive. :)

8. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Well that's the trouble with Tribbles.

9. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

They may not have Snap-On Branded stuff for that 6mm item.

I didn't find it.

10. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Check the link I posted.

11. A&J Cycles

6mm Allen?

12. 675AV8R

675AV8R Jetski Extraordinaire

Yeah, small stuff like that I'll get something like Snap-On. All of my small Torx and star bit sockets are SO and I've never had an issue. Pretty much everything else I own is Craftsmen so I'm always curious which tools people have problems with. Agree on the screwdrivers too, I've had a number of them bend on me. I have found that the Craftsman Professional line is a little better in this respect, but then the largest screwdriver I have that has been used as a prybar more times than I can count is a Snap-on.

13. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

The Torx and allen bits do get twisted, but I see my dealer once a week. Snap-On makes a heavy duty Torx insert bit that is a little better.

Does anyone know why Torx fasteners even exist?

14. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Detroit.

15. antirich

antirich Well-Known Member

I've found KD and S-D tools to be a good medium between craftsman and Snap On.

Did buy a used MAC reversible safety wire pliers. Worth every penny.

eBay and Craigslist is good for used Snap ON and Mac, but you gotta watch the theft potential.

16. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

I see a Cornwell truck running around and wondered if they were any good?

17. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Why do Ducati and BMW love them so much?

18. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Cornwell tools are good quality. If I remember, they were the first to laser etch their sockets with sizes. Dealers are few and far between these days. I have quite a few Cornwell sockets, and they are very durable.

19. mfbRSV

mfbRSV Well-Known Member

They work better in cordless drivers over Phillips head. BMW uses a lot of stainless torx on the removable bodywork pieces for routine maintenance.

They can also charge $$$$ for replacements to the anal retentive owners who like all the visible screws to match.

20. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

And hex sockets (allens) are infinitely superior. If I raced a Ducati or a BMW I would throw those Torx screws so far into the woods no one would ever find them.