Well... I guess I'm f*cked

Discussion in 'General' started by TrackStar, Aug 26, 2013.

1. turbulence

turbulence Well-Known Member

Hmmm. I'll have to look into it, thanks

2. John29

John29 Road racing since 1973

Uhhh, actually putting a 12 year old on an R6 is not really "being conservative." How about a nice 650 Twin as an intermediate step?

3. parillaguy

parillaguy vintage+GP racer

I agree. Seen it too many times where we pushed a 'kid' into a hugely competitive environment with a bike that is too much bike. He won't learn as much as you would hope unless he moves to something mid way between a starter bike and a full 600. Try a supersingle, SV twin or something similar. parillaguy

4. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

Buy an R1 eff it. YOLO!

Just make sure it has a title!

:D

5. G 97

G 97 Garth

:stupid:

6. TrackStar

TrackStar www.trackstar1.com

We're staying on the 250 to race. Going to start building an R6 to play on at trackdays.

7. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

JMO FWIW...
    1st off I can't think of any of the top up and comers riding a 600 before they hit 14 except for McFadden (13.5+ yrs old).
    2nd if I can relate to DT experience...putting a young rider on a bigger bike (more Power) too soon can be detrimental in that they tend to get lazy. Instead of relying on improving their skills, they tend to rely on the power of the new bike.
    3rd having a rider, especially a young rider, ride 2 very different bikes in both size and power output can be very confusing as they tend to compromise and the learning process slows down.
    Like others have said, there are better choices for a next step. Besides...what's the hurry???
    Like I said, JMO FWIW

8. 418

418 Expert #59

:stupid:

Going from a 250 to a R6 is a big learning curve even "just for trackdays".

I wouldn't put my kid on a 600 at 12 but I'm not in your shoes, my son is a long way from being on a bike.

Cool story though. :)

9. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

I like how this thread went from "Hey check out my son did this weekend and I proud of him to" To "kelly you are doing it all wrong, hes to small for a big bike" :D...

To bad you didnt know what you are doing kelly.. You could have a chance at being a successful business ower, or even and fast rider and instructor one day.... :D

10. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

I don't think that is how the posts were intended at all...I know mine wasn't. I would think that Kelly would want the opinions from those that have been there (numerous times)...if not then I apologize for my post...can't speak for the others.
    Hell, who am I to talk...my daughter was racing a KTM614 and H-D883 at 14 yrs old. :rolleyes:

edit...and beating Robby-Bobby!! :)

Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
  11. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

You used YOLO in a post. I want to kick you in the balls.:Poke:

12. TrackStar

lol ya it sucks dragn but I fully expected it. Its all good. If I did what everyone else told me was the right thing to do then I would be an accountant, driving a Prius, going to Mormon church on Sunday and have 5 kids.

He ran a 1:57 best on the 250 , then ran a 1:48 on the R6 then he jumped back on the 250 and ran 1:53 the rest of the weekend. Seemed like it worked out pretty well.

And Tdub, no disrespect taken. Anyone who has been around my kid knows he isnt the fastest out there but he is very safe. We would have never put him on a 600 if I thought he would just go balls out. He's not like that. Hasnt put a bike on the ground in 5 years.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
  13. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Well I don't mind being the blunt ass-hole saying that I think it's dumb to put a 12 year old on a 120hp 600.....

I can't imagine any 12 year old with the brain capacity to understand just how fast shit can go wrong on a bike capable of those speeds.

There are several bikes that would be better as a "next step" including 650 twins, 125gp bikes, hawks etc.

I'm certainly not gonna tell you how to parent, nor am I trying to take away the "cool factor" of you being as to say your 12 year old can ride a 600 but I'd never put my son in that situation until he was well ready physically and mentally.

14. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

That wasn't the intent of my post...being a former race dad to not only my own, but to many familiar names you would know, I know the feeling and pride from having a youngster out there. I have pics of me holding Nick up in staging at VIR on an RS125 when he was 9 yrs old...and doing 1:40 flat!!
    All I wanted to convey is there are some drawbacks to rushing the process. You have every right to be proud of your sons accomplishments but I was merely stating it might not be the best path to take. Good Luck.

15. TrackStar

So I take it you have never been around a group of fast kids on 125 GP bikes.

Seriously...

Those 125's are stupid fast and put a ton of kids on the ground.

TDub I was way more worried when he was riding the 125. Those things scare the shit out of me.

16. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Please don't take this wrong, but if your kid is finding 4 seconds on a 250 after jumping on the 600, I personally believe he should stay on the small bike for awhile. I'm glad I listened to John Ulrich and Tige Daane when they suggested Tyler ride a SV650 before going to a 600.

Tyler rode the 125/Moriwaki for three years. I expected over a year on the SV650. Tige made Tyler a deal. He said if you can break some track records at Willow Springs on this SV, I will let you ride my 600. That is why Tyler only stayed on the SV for half a season.

Tyler was 5 months shy of 16 before riding the 600. I'm not saying our way is the only way, but why rush it?

I will say, most of the kids we have moved up to 600's with, have been hurt pretty badly on a 600, whether their fault or not.

17. TrackStar

Rob I totally took that wrong and hate your guts now.

:)

Not really. We're just havin fun. We will see where it takes us.

18. trispdtrip

trispdtrip Poor, Fat, Slow Racer

That's awesome! Wish I could have started at that age instead of 30.:mad:
    Best of luck to him and you, great job. :clap:

19. turbulence

turbulence Well-Known Member

Damn that's cool. I assume (based upon your location) that you're talking Nicky Hayden?

20. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

McFadden...but I do have pics somewhere of the Haydens on 600 Rotaxs when they were like 10 or 12...