New car advice

Discussion in 'General' started by Spooner, Apr 13, 2013.

1. theJrod

theJrod Well-Known Member

I was going to recommend the CX-9 or CX-5 too.

The CX-5 is actually pretty roomy, and still gets 30mpg. There are some good financing and lease deals right now w/ Mazdas.

Great advice about the carseats too. We have one of those fancy imported carseats (don't remember the brand, might be the one TA mentioned), and it's a bitch to put it in our Mazda 3. The front passenger is eating their knees with the carseat behind them.

Definitely bring your carseat with you to go car shopping.

2. sonicnofadz

sonicnofadz Well-Known Member

If you are going for a wagon, do yourself a favor and get a subaru. VW's fucking suck.

3. crazywolf450r

crazywolf450r Well-Known Member

If I were getting a wagon, I'd wait till fall and get the 2014 Ford transit connect wagon model with the ecoboost.

4. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

I've actually driven a couple when I've taken in her car for service and I liked it a lot but it's really not very big, especially behind the back seats.

As far as like the mazda's and stuff-she is really wanting something more on the luxury/sporty side. She had a Mercedes GLK for a while and loved it and has kicked herself for selling it ever since other than it got 20mpg. She wants something quiet inside too as that's our only complaint on the Mini is its pretty loud inside with the pano roof.

I need to start shopping the car seats harder but it's tough to get real motivated on that since we are still about 6 months out from having the kid. I need to find a store that has more than the basic stuff in stock to check out.

5. r1owner

r1owner All cars suck!

More luxury... Audi Q5?

6. Spooner

I kinda forgot about those-will have to see what kind of prices they have. Don't they have a diesel available?

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

No diesel yet, I think 2014 models. We got a leftover 2012 but not sure how much, Evelyne absolutely loves it and it'd be perfect for kids.

8. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

And apparently the Mongo fits in a Q. It's gotta have some serious space. If Sean uses that for Taco Bell runs, you're golden. :D

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It's the boss ladies ride, I have the Jeep. It is pretty comfy even for me, better than her A4 was.

10. Spooner

The Q5 looks sweet but I think it's going to be more than we want to spend. I will keep an eye out for them though.

11. r1owner

r1owner All cars suck!

What about the new Mazda 6, that thing is sweet and its got a lot of room.

12. Spooner

I think its not available till January.

13. r1owner

r1owner All cars suck!

A guy on the G8 board just got one.

14. stephenr928

stephenr928 So come on baby, get in..

Congrats on the growing family.....Oh, how I long for the good 'ol days!

So: We have always had wagons.
    My wife & I had the Volvo 850 wagon (T5) for years (primary car) & a Honda Accord wagon (secondary car). Good car(s), hitch for bike rack, roof rails for the Thule Box when necessary....Life was sweet.
    Then we had a kid. Volvo wagon was doing just fine, then at week 6 (of the new kid's life) my wife gets into a traffic jam on the interstate, kid ends up needing a diaper change, & she has to park on the shoulder, kid on the right side-rear passenger seat while my wife (with the door open, she standing on the road) tries to change the diaper.
    We bought a Honda Odyssey the next week.
    Never mind the image issue, the practicality of the vehicle is outstanding. Dashing out to the van in the rain, holding the kid & groceries, pressing a button to open a side door &/or lift-gate...Priceless.
    The ability to step-through the van while on the road or in inclement weather....Priceless.
    Third row is folded away with a WeatherTech mat covering the entire cargo area...We never had an issue with strollers, bikes, diaper bags, mothers-in-law, etc.
    When we use the third row seating, 6 people can sit comfy, 7 can sit tightly & we have seating (& seatbelts!) for 8 if we ever needed to carry that many.....Amazing versatility!
    Then my wife got hit broad-side in an intersection when driving the van (she was alone)...Driver's side, sliding door took the hit. Another minivan hit her doing approx. 30 mph...Set off all the side airbags, totaled our van, but my wife was not injured at all and the left side, although caved-in, did not (quite) touch the second-row passenger seat.
    I was so amazed & relieved; we bought another Odyssey 48 hours later.

PS Sold the Volvo 2 years ago & bought a Subaru Outback wagon. Nice car, all-wheel drive, 6 cylinder motor, blah, blah, blah....The van beats it for mileage & utility.
    Wear an apron & get a mini-van!

15. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

New Cadillac ATS's are pretty bad ass. Up hear you can lease them for 300 a month with nothing down.

16. r1owner

r1owner All cars suck!

Forgot about the ATS. That is a nice car and RWD.

17. Spooner

I would be all about leasing but we put way too many miles on our cars. Just her commute alone is like 16,000 miles a year.

18. LukeLucky

LukeLucky Well-Known Member

In sure it's been said, but the $27K budget will buy most midsize new cars easily. Camry, Accord, Altima, Optima, Sonata, Jetta, Fusion, etc are all under that mark no problem.

I'm a fan of leasing at this stage.

19. Spooner

I think we have decided to just stick to wagon/suv layouts. Heading to the Volvo dealer tomorrow to drive some stuff and might stop at a Carmax to see what they have to see. Might have to check out the GMC Terrains as I like the look of those but I'm not sure if they have enough room or power to get out of their own ways.

20. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I just saw one on the way back from lunch. Had to google it when I got back to the office. Sharp car.