Moto2...Marquez.

Discussion in 'General' started by roxychic46, Apr 10, 2012.

1. caferace

caferace No.

:stupid:

-jim

2. gluvnaa

gluvnaa Well-Known Member

3. Kevin Schwantz though the move was a bit over the top.

http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2012/Apr/12041034x34.htm

"The one thing I will say is that, after the Moto2 race, you saw Thomas Luthi come past Marquez and hit him and point to his head. What happened there, I think, is that Marquez just squeezed him in a pass in the race. He just shoved him off the track and onto the curbing at the end of the front straight. He hadn't cleared him when he did it and he ended up just riding over and banging into him. That's how Luthi lost the front group and finished four seconds off the front.

You've got to respect your competitors in racing. That's a move that, if you put it on him in a bad place, it becomes very scary and hardball, hairball. Because you're on the brakes and get knocked off the track and, suddenly, everything changes in terms of traction and safety. You can find yourself tumbling down the track in those situations, and it's unneeded. Everybody needs to treat one another with respect in Moto2, and we've seen a lot more respect in the past few Moto2 races than before. I hope that trend continues."

Race direction thought it was over the top too.

4. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Yep.

5. You're nuts.

:D

6. Brian Van

Brian Van Track Gear Retailer

I don't follow, can you elaborate as to why you would think this?

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Brain meet Joe, everything is always about Joe :crackup:

(FWIW - Joe is a nice kid who used to do a lot of trackday stuff so he's sensitive about it)

8. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

Ouch!! :Poke:

9. nicolaib211v

nicolaib211v Well-Known Member

:stupid::Poke::beer::up:

10. styles

styles The untrained eye

Luthi knew Marquez was coming up on him to outbrake him. After Marquez passed him down the straight on the inside did Luthi think he was going to be able to further outbrake Marquez from the outside? It was a gamble on Luthi's part that he lost.

11. KrooklynSV

KrooklynSV Usual Suspect

:stupid:

That was exactly how I viewed it.

12. Where should Luthi have gone?

13. Hammer 4

Hammer 4 Can't Touch This

I think he was suppose to back off, and settle for second..???? :confused:

14. RollieManollie

RollieManollie I Need to Get My Beak Wet

Marquez took Luthi's line away plan and simple. Aggressive -yes, unsportsman -maybem, but this ain't no club racing! :D

15. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Actually...I was kinda surprised Mark didn't kick Luhti for the arm slap...Point to your head, flip the bird, cuss, etc...all OK. Hit me and I'm hitting back harder.

16. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Exactly. People saying no hit no foul do understand that if he hadn't ran off course, he would have tagged MM's rear and the two midgets would have went cartwheeling in the kitty litter.

It's highly entertaining, but this sport being already one of the (if not the) most dangerous on the planet, we don't need stupid shenanigans like that done on purpose. I love seeing Marquez ride and he has a lot of combativity in him, but he keeps crossing the line. Someday, someone's gonna get hurt and it will be his fault.

17. KrooklynSV

KrooklynSV Usual Suspect

Exactly. Take a lesson from the Moto3 race; back off, slot back in and then draft him onto the straight on the final lap for the win. Easy peasy. :D

18. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

Disregard if not.

As to why, it read as if you were of the assumption that I thought I knew better how it should be done than Marquez.... and I am in fact a "riding coach"I think you wrote :beer:.

FWIW I dont think I know better. I just have an opinion that quite a few people share, that the move was a bit dirty. Tdub and Chip disagree.

You REALLY REALLY REALLY need this smiley here [​IMG] (I edited the smiley on another forum to show up on a dark background. I am sure we can edit it back to black for you :D )

Not sensitive in the least. Brian knows who I am, and that I am and was an instructor with a few different trackday orgs (one of which he is partnered with), and may even know I am doing my own thing as well now, so it read as if it COULD have been a jab.

It seems it wasnt. ;)

Tone doesnt translate in text
    No harm no foul :beer:

Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
  19. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

By the same token if you have the speed down the front straight to simply pass for the lead and check out it evokes comparisons to Lorenzo. If you have speed but insist on playing reckless games with your passes it evokes comparisons to Hector Barbara. Which do you want to be? Marquez seems to have Lorenzo talent.

20. There is a difference between a good hard block pass where you take away someone's preferred line and completely running someone off the track which is what Marquez did. When Marquez made his move, there was no way for Luthi to make the corner.