4-stroke dirtbikes...

Discussion in 'General' started by John LegionST, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

I have thought about picking up a 2T. There are a crazy amount of hare scrambles around here. I enjoy those. The MX stuff is fun, but beats the hell out of my knees.

2. flying

flying Well-Known Member

Looks like a sweet track!

3. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

Johnny Campbell and my XR650R disagree with you.

[​IMG]

4. elevenn7

elevenn7 Well-Known Member

Go fast on a 2t and you've achieved god like status, go the same speed on a 4t and you're accused of being a lazy rider with a displacement advantage... whatever. If you're fast, you're fast. After riding 2 strokes for 30 years, I now ride a CRF450r - which for me is a way better bike for MX (or any type of dirt riding I do) than the myriad of 2 strokes I've owned. I can't argue with the higher cost of up keep, but, my Honda went 3 years before I replaced the piston. The insides of my motor looked new (cross hatching on the cylinder still looked perfect) just needed to re-shim the exhaust valves and button it back up. My 2 strokes needed (at least) a top end job every season or in some cases (125's) 2-3 times a season.

5. John LegionST

John LegionST Well-Known Member

Do it! I'm contemplating entering a few MX races this year. Think I'll race the 250 in the 250 class to piss off those 4T guys "That's not FAIR, ur bike makes more HP" will be music to my ears, considering they are the same size motor and all... then race my buddies 125 in the 450 class to piss those guys off :crackup:

It's decent. Happens to be the closest MX track to me that was open, but there are two better ones about as close that weren't open that day. Cant wait to get on them!!!

I think if the 2T family had to adopt a 4T orphan... it would be the XR650... that bike has some Soul! There are actually a few 4T's that would make the cut... I was really thinking/talking about modern 4T MXers when I made the first post.

6. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

I agree though that it is a lazy ride if you want it to be. You can pretty much ride around in 3rd from 10 to 45 mph. I do want a CR500 supermoto bike though.

7. Greenhound386

Greenhound386 Well-Known Member

Well no wonder you like the 2-stroke so much. You're riding a featureless farm pasture with no ruts or jumps (tabletops and singles don't count). :crackup:

8. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Obviously you are far too young to have ridden a 500.......

Although thumpers are easier to ride for those with less skill. And the fartcan sound is just plain gay:Poke:

9. John LegionST

HAHAHAHA. But I grew up in the northeast... no stranger to any of that. Think Englishtown, Budds Creek, Binghamton or many other national caliber tracks :up:

10. Greenhound386

All legit tracks, for sure. That's some tacky (the dirt), rutted out and rough riding at any of those tracks.

11. John LegionST

Yep. I swear my spine compressed a few mm from all the hammering through sand whoops, breaking/accel bumps and big jump landings over the years

Where are you from?

I'm looking forward to hitting up some real tracks this year... AMP and Bremen for sure, maybe more like War Eagle or Monster mountain...

12. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

13. Greenhound386

Know what you mean. I actually started easing out of MX and into the roadracing over the last few years. I live in San Diego. There are ~12 tracks within 2 hours of my house. 2 national-caliber tracks (Glen Helen, Pala Raceway*). With the 4-strokes and the high concentration of pros here, the tracks have gotten insane. 125 foot doubles, truly harrowing rhythm sections, whoop sections that could almost pass for a SX whoop section...

Lots of guys getting seriously injured or worse. I feel safer at 100+ on the pavement! I rode an RM 125 all the way until 2007, but it got to a point where it was too hard to be competitive at the races. I had to hop on the 4-stroke bandwagon, but I honestly have more fun on it now that I have gotten used to it.

I do miss watching the 2-strokes on TV.

* Arguable. Main track has been cut down quite a bit over the last few months.

edit: Here's a shot of a jump that was at Elsinore MX for a couple of years. Recently revised, though. Not me in the photo.[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  14. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

I love how fast all you 2 stroke guys are! :clap:

15. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

16. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

It's funny to hear all the 4 stroke bashing now. I was spectating at the Supercross in 98, I think, when Doug Henry led the entire main event on a YZ400, to only fall on the last lap and not be able to re-fire it. At the time the sound of all the 2 strokes and then hearing Henry BRAAP up the coliseum hill was really cool.

However, I'm amazed how much louder going to the supercross races is now with 4 strokes, vs. 2 strokes. You used to be able to hear the announcer and carry on a conversation while watching the race.

17. Kyle827

Kyle827 Well-Known Member

Lol I race gncc stuff....not hold it wide open in a 15 foot lane mx stuff :D

and I got a #1 plate...D11 baby lmao

18. Kyle827

Kyle827 Well-Known Member

I have ridden the mighty hondo 500 and the kx5 but they are just heavy versions of the modern 4fittty.......... :up:

19. zippytech

zippytech Running On Pumpedupness!!

Sorry an old KX 500 is not a heavy version of a modern 450. Ask any one of only 20 or so guys in the world that could really ride one , not just hang on to one:up:

20. diggy

diggy Well-Known Member

Here's my 98kx250. Bought it brand new and still have it. Besides Race-Tech Gold Valves and a respring, not one aftermarket part. Absolutely pristine condition, never even replaced the top end. Still runs like a top.

[​IMG]

My vintage racer for the 100cc class 1982 yz100j

[​IMG]

My daughters kick butt pw50.

[​IMG]

I've got 4T's too and really they do work better on MX tracks, but 2T will always be the business.