1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where's your damn license?

Discussion in 'General' started by HPPT, Dec 13, 2011.

1. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Well, that kinda counts. That's being involved in racing.

2. dstktmusa

dstktmusa Well-Known Member

joined 3/27/2002......

3. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Guilty. I began doing track days about 5-6 years ago. Actually joined the beebs to purchase a dedicated track bike, which I did. Had plans of starting to race before life got in the way. Lost my job last January, 2010, didn't ride at all that year. Began a new job last August and thought maybe I'd get out this season. Found out the wife was pregnant, and due in September. Sold the bike in February given the sudden shift in priorities and the need for extra cash to finish off the basement and transform the office into the baby's room. In the meantime, I've really come to enjoy the beebs and the personalities. I may not be able to get on track at this point, but I love the cameraderie of so many like-minded individuals.

4. tittys04

tittys04 Well-Known Member

Oh... well shoot. I DROVE from the east of the STL area to Vegas a few years ago to be a pit biatch. There were 5 of us in an extended cab silverado pulling a 6x12, no stops (other than the normal fuel/bathroom/food breaks). Took us like 30 hours, one way. probably one of the most ignorant things I have ever done, but it was a blast.

5. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Speaking of winning... When i was 45 or so, one of the guys I worked with asked me if I would help his son with his bike. Got to be good friends with the kid. We rode down to Texas World Speedway to watch the last AMA race there.

They offered a spectator ride. I suggested he follow my lead. As we came up onto the front straight I hung back from the pack. About halfway down the straight I hammered it and he followed. We done down into trn one from the top of the banking on the front straight.
    When we pulled in at the exit around turn two (or three, depending on who you ask) I could see he was bug-eyed!
    The next season I built him a NT647 Hawk production bike.

One of the MOST gratifying moments in my life was when Harry Tomlinson won his first CMRA race.

6. jp636

jp636 Yellow Turd

I'm in the same boat as others on the beeb. We purchase a new house a few years ago and found out right after that my wife was pregnant (surprise!). Finances were out of wack for about a year and now we're back on track. She just got a raise too.

Her mommy make over will delay any racing until it's paid off. I can't really be upset a out that. She never bitched or complained about me having a motorcycle during the tough times. I even did a track day during that time.

But until my recent purchase of my track bike, I didn't ride very much. My street bike just sat in the garage. That is when I realized I needed to sell it. This last summer I did 4 track days and became addicted again.

I too am also hesitant about getting injured while racing. Raising a family is priority. But being a member of the beeb keeps racing in the back of my mind. Plus, as already mentioned I believe, the personalities on here keep me laughing. Best site on the net.

Last summer I had sinus surgery and sat in a chair for 3 weeks straight. One week of agonizing pain and 2 weeks of sinus recovery. It was depressing for someone who is not used to being couped up. I can honestly say this place kept my spirits up.

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

He also has a race license.

8. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

:stupid: just paid mine for the last time this past year. :up:

9. HPPT

HPPT !!!

OK, this I want to know about. Mainly the part about you getting into a suit for the school.

10. ToddClark

and the instructor that actually "certified" him and deeming him safe to actually get out there and race. :D :crackup:

11. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

damn, how many head of cattle did that suit put out of business? :(

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Never passed the school - mainly because I bailed on the riding part halfway through the day. Got tired of going through every corner thinking "the bike is already sold don't fuck up!". Wasn't paying enough attention so I didn't need to be out there. I actually have a set of Vansons I bought long long ago. Unlike Dave I don't show pictures of my junk much :D

13. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

[​IMG]

14. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Why do you want to see Mongo's junk?

15. ToddClark

never passed but still got the license? Well, i guess thats just another perk of being married to the boss, ehh? ;) :D

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Um, no, it's one of the perqs of knowing the rules. I don't need to pass a school to have a license. I need to pass the school to be able to race.

17. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Goodbye mama, now you can have ice cream in heavan! I'll see you again tonight when I go to bed in my head movies. But this head movie makes my eyes rain!

18. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

The only license I have held was an AMA pro MX license way back when. The only RR tracktime was a spectator lap at Oak Hill. Have never even owned a street bike.

19. ToddClark

I'll be sure and let folks know all they have to do is pass the written portion then to get their race license. Learn something new everyday. :up:

20. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Wait, let's get back to talking bout Mongo. You telling me that Hyper hasn't popped it's cherry? The Buell?