1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Remember the big grids??

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by Dyle, Nov 18, 2011.

1. WERA33

WERA33 Well-Known Member

2. Yamaha179

Yamaha179 Well-Known Member

Jim said:
    "I think in some ways V6/V7 are the most important vintage classes as they are the future of vintage. I have always thought it would make vintage stronger if all the vintage classes could race on the same day."

I agree completely with Jim. I've been around vintage racing from the beginning. With the AMA, USCRA, AHRMA, and WERA. I wasn't really happy when the Vintage Classes were expanded to include obsolete modern bikes but when you stop to think about it that is how real vintage racing in America started. This is a way for maturing racers - guys who have growing familys and more responsibilities - who have stepped away from modern bike racing, to get back into the sport and enjoy road racing.

We need to keep a place for the old bikes in our Formula and early Vintage Classes but attention must be paid to growth of the vintage group also. Managed properly I am confident it will continue to support the WERA organization.
    Lyn Garland

3. GypsyRacing

GypsyRacing V7 Gypsy

Awwwww, they do care!

Honk if you love pimps, players, rockstars, and punk @$$ biotches!

4. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

Honk.

Wait, which one am I?

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Racers show up because the crowd is there. As we all know, most racers are delusional to an extent so it's pretty easy to think the crowd is there to see you :D

Seriously though, once an race weekend turns into a full on event it's a draw unto itself. People want to be a part of the event overall even if they're not part of the main portion of the event.

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The obsolete classes are absolutely the future of Vintage racing. Everything people consider true vintage now was modern then obsolete then vintage. The oldest machines are harder and harder to find and keep running so something will have to replace them. Just as what you guys run now replaced the even older bikes.

7. stickboy274

Yeah.

"I belive the obsolete are the future. Teach them well and let them race"

8. GoldStarRon

GoldStarRon Well-Known Member

Hi Guys.. I am pretty much a newbie here... and am thinking of trying to race my bike with WERA, Vs Ahma..

Now for my first LOUD tyrade... Yamaha Fan, you are FULL OF SHIT..!!

AHRMA events are generally down, just like other Orgs. Only Barber was significantly up and there are several reasons for the Barber success. First, AHRMA lost Mid Ohio. Next, AHRMA lost the spring race date at Daytona. Now (2011) Daytona was the weekend after Barber. Barber got a LOT of promotion (rightfully so).. and a whole bunch of racers from all over the world showed up the last two years... And yes, Daytona was slightly down, as Barber has become more favorable....

Next, some AHRMA class sizes are way down... the economy is the main cause, BUT there are other issues... As the "whine" factor went up, more classes got created for the same (less actually) number of racers. Several classes only had one or two bikes show up in several classes. LOOK at the results and you will see that I am correct... geeesh.... In a couple ofl classes if a person did 3 events (and won) they would be the National Champ....

However, the classes that is doing awesome is the 160-250 CC class.. the small Honda twins show up in force..!! Talk about a dedicated group of people.. both guys and gals... the bikes are cheap to buy and fix and are reliable... easy on tires, etc... the cost factor is down, the fun factor is up..!! Lots of close racing. And one bike can be run competitively in several classes. Yes they have a Leman's start which is fun to watch. A good formula... But the small bikes at a high speed track like Daytona is a dud... again this makes Barber more attractive...

Then AHRMA has geography / track issues... AHRMA considers New Orleans to be a WEST event.. Had only one year at PIR and one at Creston this year so the only true WEST events for 2012 are Willow Springs and Miller... Willow Springs being the only West Coast event has a great turn out, year after year.. but I think it was down the last two years (but still good)...

OK, now expand the horizons... my bike has raced in the MGP (hope to make it next summer)... their entries were down in 2008 amd 2009, leveling off in 2010, but went UP this year.. In fact several classes were overfilled and some entries were denied because of it. It is clear to me the world economy has had a bad effect on racing... Look at how many specialty "Hot Rod" and "Race Bike" type shops went belly up...!

Hope to see some of you next year in So Cal...

Ron

Last edited: Nov 27, 2011
  9. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

Quoted to savor the flavor...:crackup:

10. Yamaha Fan

Yamaha Fan Well-Known Member

Wow, nice to meet you too, great way to introduce and define yourself, I know what to expect should we ever meet at the track.

You obviously read little of what I said, I agree the economy had an effect on participation. By your own admission you don't run WERA vintage where there were 13 events in the southeast not including the GNF. Even if the net $ to WERA is exactly the same as a year with a smaller number of races, I.E. no increase or decrease in participation based on the number of events, the grids are smaller. It lessens the quality of the events for participants.

The point is, in spite of the issues created by the economy there are things that can be done to improve participation and the quality of the events on an overall basis. As proven by AHRMA at Barber a concerted effort to promote an event can yield positive results, again in spite of the economy.

The WERA GNF has always been a strong draw, to see the level of vintage participation slip as far as it did is disappointing. I have raced with WERA for 11 years, I have seen the ups and downs based on both the economy and the changes to WERA Vintage, my opinion is based on personal experience.

Thanks for the introduction, good luck with your racing.

11. charles

charles The Transporter

Why can't we just get along?

12. lizard84

Preach on Brother Charles!:bow:

13. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Wow, really dude?! Coming into the middle of an excellent conversation to crack on a gentleman that you obviously know nothing about!

I would put Lyn in the top 3 of racers in the US that would go out of his way to help ANYBODY with anything that had to do with the sport.

Your comment really did nothing to enhance your viewpoints.

One of the first times on the beeb that I come forth to say you owe the man an apology or at the very least some respect.

14. lizard84

When did Bob change his name to Lyn?

15. rd400racer

Damn, wrong guy:eek:

Like Rosanne Rosanadana used to say.....NEVER MIND!

16. I was thinking the same thing. Yamaha Fan is Bob McCauley. I hope I spelled your last name correctly, Bob. MacCauley if your Scottish.

I would second the props to Lyn Garland.

As far as coming on the BBS to slam a guy that you don't know, Bob is a stand up guy and you don't get gold stars for insulting him Ron. Chill brother.

17. rd400racer

Sorry for the confusion guys. This is what happens when you are sitting in your shop, drinking beer, watching football and catching up on the beeb on the iPhone.

Let's keep this great conversation flowing. I have 3 different Vintage bikes that I race (FZR400, RZ350 and RD400) so I have a lot to follow here!

18. GoldStarRon

GoldStarRon Well-Known Member

OK, I see now that I should of quoted what got me going. Yes you may think I came on strong, but, I called it like it is... look at the quote below, which is what I based my comment on....

If you did not know any better you may think AHRMA has the Nirvana effect... That sentence is total BS, period.. Sorry guy, but stop making shit up..! I will gladly buy you a beer after the races.... no hard feeling, just the truth...

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Fact this year, Daytona (which was run after Barber), the biggest class was 200 GP it had 22 bikes.. a far cry from 50..!

And Motard, a more modern class for AHRMA had ONE bike... several classes had 3 bikes, and a bunch had 7. A few classes had about 15... Sad that Daytona ended up with such a low turnout. FYI, no I did not go and count every class in every event.

However if you look at the year end standings, you see a big majority of racers only did 1 event (two races). I did not see a race by race breakdown, but the above suggests a bunch of people raced either the closest event to where they live, or did Barber.

The reason I am looking at WERA is because WERA runs more races out West in one month than AHRMA does all year... and at least I can go spectate at events where my bike can't race.. (or it is broken sigh). The answer remains in the economy and the thickness of my wallet...

Ron

19. ringdingding

ringdingding TWO-STROKE MILITIA

I remember seeing it spelled Mac Ollie once on the old WERA Vintage site, shortly after that is when he lost the rest of his hair. :Poke:

Serously tho, Bob's an alright guy, he cant help it if his brain is so big, thats why he lost all his hair, no room for any folicals. :Poke:

Actually, I have had the honor of being beaten by Bob on track atleast once and more times than I care to remember here on the BBS. Hope you dont mind me ribbing you some Bob, I know you can take it. Atleast I didnt come right out and say you are full of shit like that other guy.

I've been doing some thinking, if just one hundred of you gawkers watching this thread would dust off your bikes and go racing instead of gawking. Between that and fewer Saturday Vintage rounds, we could have full grids in every class at every round. Sounds like a whole lot more fun than getting your jollies here.

20. stickboy274

If it helps any, everybody on the V6hw, V7mw and V7hw grids are all full of shit.