Any .22 fans?

Discussion in 'General' started by Scotty87, Nov 17, 2011.

1. Shyster d'Oil

Shyster d'Oil Gerard Frommage

That's what I have. Tons of fun. Ammo costs less than gas to get to the range.

2. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Yeah I dusted about 3 hours yesterday researching stuff. I like the thumbhole stock and .920 barrell combo for sure. Can someone give me a quick primer on 'bedding'the the barrell? What exactly is this, how is it done, and is it necessary when changing to a larger barrell if the factory stock is not going to be used?

3. ZxMoke

ZxMoke Well-Known Member

I picked up a Savage .17 hmr yesterday after shooting my friends. Gun is awesome and after some sighting in, it is a blast. $13 for a box of 50
    only paid $235.00 OTD with a scope

4. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

the 10/22 uses a magazines, not "clips."

Also, in many states, magazines are statutorily limited to 30 rounds, or in some nazi states, 5. As a result, there are a lot more options for higher capacity magazines in the 20-30 round range. The 50-rounders typically aren't very reliable anyway. It's hard to keep uniform spring tension when the spring is that long.

Anyone with a ruger 10/22 owes it to themselves to check out the BX-25 magazine. It feeds almost as reliably as the 'stock' BX-10 rotary magazine, and is worlds better than the aftermarket models. The extra $4 is well worth it...

5. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

what brand? I have not had any problems with Remington and Federal (525 rounds for $18)

6. TrackStar

TrackStar www.trackstar1.com

I have a couple 10/22's, a Marlin bolt with a scope and a CMMG .22 LR upper for my AR.

One of the 10/22's has the Tapco collapseable stock so my 11 year old can shoot it correctly and a cheap holographic sight. Looks like an Enfield. Pretty fun gun.

The CMMG upper is amazing. Much better than the drop in conversions. Accurate, no jams and I can swap optics back and forth. Thats my favorite weapon I own right now.

I have a Ruger Single 6 .22 pistol in LR and MAG. Thats a fun little plinker too.

My latest .22 is a Hammerli Pneuma. 3000 psi air rifle that shoots about 1200 fps and is deadly accurate to 70 yds. Mine has a 28x scope and a suppressor. I'll get a pic of it this weekend but heres a pic of the base model. Best part is I can shoot this inside my shop all winter.

[​IMG]

7. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

I want to mount one of those on my Polaris RZR. :D

8. Mick6R

Mick6R Well-Known Member

Those 10/22's are great little rifles. Dad got me one when I was 10. 33 yrs later, it still shoots as well as it did the day I got it. Still bone stock. Picked up a Marlin 60 several years back. Both are just cheap shooting fun.

9. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

My brother has Dad's single shot bolt action .22 that he got for Christmas... of 1941. Dad was 10. He carved in the stock, "To Hell with Hitler" and "Down with ToJo". Think shoots like a dream. Light weight and rediculously accurate.

10. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

Threadjack coming....

Anyone know of a source for a tactical stock for a Savage Arms .17HMR rifle?

11. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

I have one of those. It's so well made that it's almost no fun to shoot in that small of a caliber

12. RubberChicken

RubberChicken PimpMasterT

I was in Cabela's a few weeks back and bought one of those. Nicely made. I haven't gotten to the range with it yet, but I am going to toss the shitty Butler Creek 25-rounders, they are too unreliable.

When I go "Click," I want my rifle to answer "Bang." I'm funny like that.

13. RoadRacerX

RoadRacerX Jesus Freak

I remember my first .22 rifle. It was a Remington Nylon 66. I wish I had that gun today. It was a total blast. I don't think Remington makes them any longer.

14. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

I'm fairly certain that 2 billion of those were made. My oldest brother got one when we moved to the farm. One of my nephews has it now. Thing is still fun to shoot.

15. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

Honestly I can't remember, as it was some off the wall brand. I'd say 1/10 would stovepipe during ejection. I should have just thrown them away but I guess I'm stubborn.

We've shot Federal .22's my whole life and had no problem with them.

16. frackadelic

frackadelic Buddha Stalin is Chronic

Ruger 10/22 - Super reliable, classy, fun
    S&W M&P-22 - VERY fun! Pretty reliable
    Sig Mosquito - Feels very good in your hands, but not reliable
    Walther P22 - More reliable than the sig, very small

I've been shooting the 22's more and more and since they are so much cheaper to shoot. Problem is that to really capitalize on this, one buys the bulk ammo from Walmart which tends to not work so well on the hand guns (stove pipe). I don't mind too much though, as I'm never using any of these for self defense. If I was going to suggest one...I would go with the M&P-22. It is an absolute blast. You may regret me telling you this...but look into the world of suppressed .22 :D

17. edgefinder

edgefinder Well-Known Member

Lost my killer shooting range looking for another. It was a construction dump with lots of bricks. We would stand 20 or 30 up on ends and get back about 50 yards. 2 shooting at a time to get the most bricks. 22's make a cool WAP sound when you get a hit. when the sun got low behind us the shooter would catch a reflection off the back of the bullet going down range. Kids loved it.

18. povol

povol Well-Known Member

I have 2 of them and may buy a third. If the world comes unglued and things go all to hell, its a cheap and effective rifle for small game. I have around 4000 rounds stockpiled just in case. A good little .22, a good knife, and i can go to the woods for extended periods.

19. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

you can never have too many .22's. In fact, I would say you can't afford to NOT have at least one :D

I am looking to pick up a couple of these
    [​IMG]

Then you can race your friends to see who can hit all 4 (and reset?) first.

Or if you just want to be a dick, and make it a 'tactical' drill that potentially never ends, you can just aim at your buddy's "reset" target :D

20. Captain Squid

Captain Squid Well-Known Member

I forsee Scotty getting into guns and moving our of the city soon :D

I agree, can never have too many .22lr's...prob going to pick up another 10/22 next payday and stock/scope it out. The current 10/22 has been claimed by the wife and it's too "pretty" to alter........wtf lol