1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Michelin Power One

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Gorilla, Feb 4, 2009.

1. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

-Mid 20's is 1:20.5.. ? or do you mean 1:25 ?? huge diff. 37's is a respectable time at barber for a novice. Please keep in mind in the heat of the summer Stokes was doing mid 30s (as in 30.5) with a V front on a 600 a couple years back. I was in the mid 32-low 33 range that weekend.

-getting into a corner a gear high adds a significant percentage to the odds you will crash. Especially a novice rider. way less motor breaking, getting in hot you have a few choices - one of which is you end up mistakenly trailing the front harder. Boom, you go down.

-A key is to be light enough on your bars that you can feel the front beginning to tuck. Often a rider has too much of a death grip on the bars, or is supporting too much weight on the bars to be able to feel the front sufficiently.. this holds them back from lower lap times (among other things).

-The idea that there is a "process" all the time means you might be thinking way to much out there. I don't know, we are just goin back and forth on the internet.. keep what i have said earlier in mind anytime you think a tire or tire brand is what is holding you back. And that is the fact there are riders in the paddock that are going WAY faster than you and i on that same tire, and likely could smoke us on the same tire if it had 75 laps on it..

-if you fall down AFTER the apex of a turn your front tire was NOT the problem. I think you talked about turn 2 at barber. Well, lots go on there.. it falls away after you crest a hill, do you make a downshift or try to hold 3rd gear? are you getting on the brakes? Did you get off the throttle too hard, did you get back on the gas early enough? I mean come on..

-i have had some close calls with the V but have yet to fall down on that tire. In fairness, i only use it for 2 ss sprints on a given weekend but have a bit more to go before i would be really scared.. 30psi cold is ideal, what psi were you using? did you warm it for 30min at least?

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  2. APCh8r

APCh8r Well-Known Member

Does anyone have any info on the new B2 rears for the 160 rears for SV's? Looking at doing some endurance racing next season on a SV and heard about this and that it is suppose to provide better life as people were saying the B was going away too quick. Would prefer to stick with Michelin and not have to switch to another brand.

3. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

I haven't tried the 160B2 but I wasn't happy with the tire life with the 160B. I put a 5.5 gsxr wheel on the SV and used the 180 B and tire life was much better! Might be a better option for you. I can't wait to try the new Power One slicks on the SV.

4. APCh8r

APCh8r Well-Known Member

Yeah that is what I have heard, but wouldn't this take you out of being able to run superstock classes? My main concern is if I try to do vintage weekend at mid ohio, I don't want to limit the classes we can run the bike in.

5. awalk9905

awalk9905 Well-Known Member

What's with the B2 tires?? Anyone know about the "new" Michelin tire coming out soon?

6. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

yes it will but usually endurance racing use SBK rules. You can always switch back to the stock 4.5 rim for SS sprints.

7. MELK-MAN

im told all new stuff from Michelin is on the way for 2012.. crossing fingers! Till then, keep buying tires cause they don't release the new stuff till the old stuff is pretty much gone..

8. Racer45

Racer45 old guy just tryin'

and if the dots are like the slicks.....I likey:clap:

9. awalk9905

I've heard the first batch of the new tires is coming this month, I was just wondering if anyone else had any other information or could confirm.

Is the B2 the new compound or another update?

10. Racer45

if the dots are like the slicks they are a much softer carcass. I only rode on the slicks. The front was the best front tire I've ever used. Even after 70-80 laps it never went off. The rear did go off a little after 50-60, but I'm sure with more time on it I could have figured it out and got it to last much longer. I'm excited to try the new dots next year

11. awalk9905

I'm excited to try them as well. I just discovered the Power One A rear tire! I've always been afraid of trying it because I didn't think it would last, but I'm getting them to last longer than the B. I think it's a combination of not spinning as much and the A's being an older tire. All the A's I get are from 08 or 09.

12. MELK-MAN

could be, i found the A lasting longer/working better at some tracks because it spins MORE. However, at some tracks like JGP it will not work nor last if your lap times are fairly fast. Your just on the side of the tire way too much and the corners are fast. Even in the 85+F heat of FL at Palm Beach raceway, the A worked awesome for sprint races. However, there is a 6/10ths of a mile straight (sides cool) and most of the corners are no more than 2nd gear, 1 is 3rd.. Just have to try stuff! :)

13. simonburic

simonburic Runs Wide

Don't quote me, but I think the B2 is an update. I ran one on my SV at Summit on 9/18, and the temps were were way cooler then. They seemed to give me a somewhat vague feeling, and spun a fair amount in 3rd coming out of T1-2. But somehow I managed to do a bunch of 22's on them, which was faster than I did on the B. Just my 2 cents

Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  14. Focker

Focker Well-Known Member

B2 is an update, just released in the spring. All my A rears are from 08 09 as well. I'm on an SV superbike, but the A hooked up and lasted much longer than the Pirelli I was on previously. Would be very interested to try the slicks when they are updated.

15. track wagon

track wagon MCAS MIRAMAR

When are the new slicks coming out?

16. CNI Dawg

CNI Dawg Well-Known Member

Is Michelin going to make an endurance / track day long wearing type slick like Pirelli ?

17. track wagon

track wagon MCAS MIRAMAR

I am on dunlops right now and I love them...but... Mich pays a bit more. So I have wanted to try there new slicks if they ever come out. It seems like the slicks they have now have been around since I was born.

18. Focker

Focker Well-Known Member

The 16.5 slicks are friggin sick.

19. Racer45

I just keep hearing next year, but no date

20. wera_123

wera_123 Well-Known Member

We already tested the slicks at BRNO and should have some news about the DOTs