1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Michelin Power One

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Gorilla, Feb 4, 2009.

1. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

Can anyone give me a comparison of the 1246 front slick compared to a Power One V DOT front? I've been using the Power One V front DOT on my SV superbike and now that I have a 5.5 rear I'm thinking about making the switch to slicks.

2. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

pick up a slick front and a V front at the tire vendors trailer.. the difference will be very easy to FEEL when you pull the sidewalls of each back and forth. THe slick fronts are VERY firm, yet the V front (4 ply) is quite supple. THe rain sipes vs. no rain sipes is opvious too ;) but not sure about construction overall diff. You may find you like the V better after trying a slick but give it a go..

3. Focker

Focker Well-Known Member

I've ran both. I preferred the V front 180a rear to the 1246 front and 180 slick. I'm on an SV superbike as well.

4. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

thanks for the feedback.

5. notcrashed2day

notcrashed2day Well-Known Member

I just finished reading every post in this long ass thread. I learned alot. :D

6. MELK-MAN

hey gang.. THE POWER CUP IS HERE ! new tires for 2012. Some were using em at the GNF as i understand, and will be at Homestead in Dec 3rd. From what little info there is out there, they are awesome.

7. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

I had the privledge of running the 200 Cup Slick a couple weekends ago at Barber.... Loved it on the 1000... Those will definietly be my next set I spoon on when available....:beer:

More info here....

http://www.michelin.com/corporate/EN/news/products/article?articleID=Ncp_3_new_lines

8. Racer45

Racer45 old guy just tryin'

9. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Good to know!!:rock:

10. scott65

scott65 Well-Known Member

You will be very happy. :up:

11. MELK-MAN

:clap:

12. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

We used them at the GNF with exellent results, they were very good.

13. track wagon

track wagon MCAS MIRAMAR

I talked to dale out here on the west coast he said they soften the carcas up. From the people that have rode them did you noticed it? What did you guys notice about the tires that is different.

14. racepro171

racepro171 to finish first, first you must finish!

Wait! am i to understand that we (Canada) had the "new 200" first????? i used it in July.

15. Racer45

Racer45 old guy just tryin'

My opinion is the front has better turn in and much better feel. I tried them at Beaverun. I had 2 turns that I could not get right and kept running wide. Put the Cups on and was hitting them perfect everytime. I had the monster rear on with the wrong gearing, so can't give great input on the rear. Started spinning with about 60 laps, but I'm sure we could have fixed it with time to make it last longer

16. track wagon

track wagon MCAS MIRAMAR

nope I used it in may

17. track wagon

track wagon MCAS MIRAMAR

Anybody else run the new tires yet?

18. MELK-MAN

had one of my best Homestead raceway weekends to date. Actually was able to run with some of the FL boys that usually are running away. Even had the privilage of leading Cory West, Jake lewis and Benny Solis for a lap (starting on the front row has it's privilages :) ). Pretty cool to see what these guys do up close n' personal. I was just target practice for em, but made em work a little at least! :)
    The front is MUCH improved and we didn't even have the soft compound yet in front or rear.. only the "B" . The B is medium/warmer weather tire, A would be the softer compound on sides/cooler weather tire. It seems to be a combo of the Power1 A/B that was a firm carcas and the more pliable V front.. Amazing under braking, have more lean angle to use when i get more comfortable.

The rear is good but not light years ahead of the power1 as i had hoped. It is VERY light, and that did help accelration, especially using the 180 rear when all the Dunlop guys are on big 190 tires.. my bike seemed stupid fast when i could get on the gas. It is physically much more pliable than the power1 rears. Even a worn power1 rear is stiffer, i'm told by my tire guy Frank Kinsey that he can push the tire on the rim by hand.. The softer tire would have been a benefit, and to get better wear I'm gonna talk with T-man, but our last convo was "do ya want grip.. or do ya want good wear".. Dang, going faster costs alot! ! :)

All in all, i will throw rear tires at my bike all day considering the confidence the front is providing! I used the DOT fronts on my superbike as well, new slicks are on the way as i understand.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2011
  19. track wagon

track wagon MCAS MIRAMAR

I was waiting for your write up. Thank you.

20. MELK-MAN

:rock:
    keep in mind the power1 tires are very capable.. I used the V front at Daytona and ran the best lap times there in the 8 years i have been going. Just way "squishier" under hard braking into the chicane. Lower speed corners it isn't an issue like entering the horseshoes there. The new cup front seems to flip back and forth easier, may not be as triangulated as the v, not sure. Height is the same i think.. still waiting to try the powerCup A (soft), the a power 1 worked better at homestead, but it's softer than the B cup i had.
    (b cup.. has me thinking of boobies now :) )

Last edited: Dec 17, 2011