1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Harbor Freight Steal

Discussion in 'General' started by TrackF3, Feb 15, 2010.

1. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

For mine I built a six foot wide "head" out of pressure treated deck wood. The head has three eye bolts for strapping two bikes side by side. I also bolted a couple of small pieces of wood at the appropriate places to prevent the rear wheels from being able to rattle off the side of the trailer.

Here's a picture that includes a portion of the trailer. You can see the head and mounting points. Try to ignore the two fat men in the picture.

[​IMG]

2. HPPT

HPPT !!!

That's hard to do, man. That's a lot of cowhide.

3. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

4. tittys04

tittys04 Well-Known Member

How do you know it's for 99.00? All I see is 199.99

5. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I bought a very similar trailer from Northern in 1994. I've had to replace the plywood deck once, but mine lives outside. I used the 2x ramp, but picked up some garage door track from an installer and rigged it so the ramp stows under the deck and rolls out on the garage door guide wheels.

6. Newsshooter

Cause I just bought one. :) There's a coupon on the latest flyer I got in the mail. The lady at the checkout counter was surprised too, commented that it was about cost on the item.

7. tittys04

tittys04 Well-Known Member

wow... that's awesome. I had my eye on that last time I was there (actually, surprisingly enough, so did my gf)

8. Lazarus

Lazarus SwaggaByLaz®

I haven't worked too many retail jobs but I'm wondering how a checkout clerk knows what cost is on something? :confused:

9. wingnutks

wingnutks Well-Known Member

You guys are lucky to have HF stores near you. I cant get any of these deals/coupons because I have to order online.

10. CycleMyke

CycleMyke A.K.A. 1000hio

I used the shit out of mine. I customized it with a mesh rack in the front to hold my fuel jug and air tank. Also painted the wheels and used a PitBull restraint setup. Easy to pull. Put 8000 miles on it. I sold it after 4 years and got an enclosed now.

Attached Files:

11. Newsshooter

IDK, She also happened to be the manager.

12. wingnutks

Does anyone know if this trailer can fit 2 pitbull restraints?
    I have been using my uncles Big Tex 6X12 open trailer that has metal side rails and an attatched fold down rear gate. He just told me he doesnt need it anymore and said he will sell it to me for $400, which is a great price for this trailer. However, this trailer is HEAVY... it must weight close to 800lbs and is kind of a pain in the ass to store. Also, when me and my friend use it to go to the track we dont put much stuff on it so all we have is 2 bikes on the whole trailer and have about 40sq/ft of empty room.

I am throwing around the idea, for $150 less, of just getting one of these HF trailers instead. Weighs less, easier to store, and is cheaper. The benefits of my uncles is that is has more room, better made, and ramp gate.

13. gixxernaut

I don't know, it would be awful tight trying to get two of them side by side on a 4' wide trailer bed. I'm just guessing since I don't own one, but each restraint appears to be about 24" wide. I'm basing this guess on the appearance that they seem to be roughly three times as wide as the rear tire of the motorcycle they're supporting in the pictures, and a typical 190 rear is over 7" wide at its widest point.

If each restraint is 24" wide then they would just mount side by side on a 4' wide trailer bed with no room to separate them.

Although the bikes could probably be mounted this way it would be very tight.

Options to make it work might be
    • Outrig the restraints a bit
    • Offset the mounting points for the two bikes
    • Load one bike backwards (sport bikes tend to be skinnier in the rear)

14. some guy #2

some guy #2 Well-Known Member

Two bikes will fit side by side on a 4'x8' (both facing forward without staggering). I do not own a Pitbull TRS but it could be possible that the restraints might hit each other if placed directly side by side (not sure how wide the restraining arm is). If you stagger the base plates, and the restraining arm isn't so wide it hits the other bike, then that should allow both bikes to fit.

15. some guy #2

some guy #2 Well-Known Member

I use a condor but any type of chock that grabs the wheel is just as good and easy as the TRS (and cheaper if you can't find any deals on the pitbull).

16. gaines1016

gaines1016 Well-Known Member

17. wingnutks

Any advice on this?

18. gixxernaut

Buy the one from your uncle, sell it for $1200 in the WERA classifieds, use the profit to buy the 4x8 HF trailer and still have some tire money.

19. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

I have an open trailer that has a 4 X 8 floor. While technically the trailer is a 6 X 8, the wheel wells are inside so I can't push the bikes any further apart since they bump into the fenders. I have enough room between my bikes to slide a craftsman rolling toolbox (the plastic tub/tote style, no drawers), an 1850 generator, two canopies, and then place my spree across the back. I might have 12 inches between the bikes at the narrowest spot (pegs on the right bike and exhaust on the left), but I definitely have enough room to load the bikes first then the rest of my crap. If I get a chance I'll take a pic tonight. I can also haul three dirt bikes with room to spare if I want (two front and one backwards). The only advantage to the extra width is that I can tie the bikes down to the outboard corners of the trailer. If I had just a 4 X 8 trailer I would put outriggers on the front to secure the bikes so that the straps weren't pointing straight down. The outriggers would be removable, like an inside/outside sliding tube type thing.

20. Newsshooter

I'll see if I still have it at home but I'll bet the wife tossed it.