1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why do companies let unions hold them hostage?

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Donkey1, Dec 14, 2009.

1. Donkey1

Donkey1 Well-Known Member

http://www.cnn.com/2009/BUSINESS/12/14/ba.cabin.crew.ballot/index.html

British Airways employees goin on strike during the holiday season unless an agreement is made? Is it just me or should they feel lucky to be employed right now. Going on strike isnt going to help anything. My knowledge is limited in this area but why dont big companies hire people and have them sign a contract saying they wont join a union?

2. AC1108

AC1108 Well-Known Member

Because that's illegal.

3. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

What AC said.

Laws vary somewhat from state to state but what you suggest is pretty much illegal in any US state and I believe in most Eurpean countries too.

I also think that it should be illegal too. It would be a HUGE step backwards if it were allowed in this country and I hate unions.

4. H8R

H8R Bansgivings in process

Because companies used to hold employees hostage and Unions were one of the things that eliminated people being paid in compnay script, which was only good at the company store. Lets not get in to labor laws and safety in the work place.

Unions are dinosaurs, but they served an important purpose, and keeping them around gives an illusion of strength.

5. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Well stated... now I have to go delouse for agreeing with you though :mad:

6. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

Hate it when that happens!:Poke:

7. Howlie2

Howlie2 In middle-dodging traffic

Unions are not all evil these days though. I've never been a fan of them, but my dad is now drawing a nice pension from them after 40+ years in the IBEW. I'm thankful for that.

8. H8R

The first time is the most difficult...you may feel really dirty now, but each time it gets easier. :D

9. H8R

You love it...don't run from your feelings! :D

10. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Today's unions are as much a business as the companies they point the finger at. I think H8R hit the nail on the head on this topic. They had their place, but are outdated. They are no longer fighting for "basic human rights" but for higher wages. Then it's those same inflated wages that lead the companies to look elsewhere to manufacture their goods.

The sooner the majority of the unions realize that middle class isn't a $300k home and a new vehicle in every stall, the better we'll all be.

11. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Middle class is a luxury we can no longer afford!

Fuck 'em all!

:Poke:

12. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

I wonder, if he had been able to invest all those union dues that he paid into union coffers, how much of a retirement he would have without the union?

13. AC1108

AC1108 Well-Known Member

I pay $49 a month in union dues. My retirement is $3.43 an hour. I'm thinking I'm doing ok with the union.

14. burnham

burnham Well-Known Member

+1 It's my first year being in a union, I'm working as a lineman for a small town. For us, the union is more about safety than anything else. In the day to day operations no union shit really comes up. I think if you're doing a dangerous job, and your boss is some cunt fresh out of school with no clue what it's like to do the work, a union can be a good thing.

15. Donkey1

My step dad is an engineer for a power company, their lineman are union also and he said all they do is keep the idiots from getting fired and put everyone else in danger.

16. burnham

burnham Well-Known Member

Big shop? We had one idiot we just drove out. There are nine guys working in my shop, so if someone isn't towing their own, or if you put someone in danger, eight people are on your shit. I know it's not like this everywhere.

17. Donkey1

Dominion Power in northern va. Dont know how many lineman they have.

18. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

The ONLY reason you will get a union in your facility these days is if you flat out refuse to listen to the employee voice. And take into account Obama's EFCA plan, it's going to get easier for the workers to unite if it passes.

19. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

this is no gig at your dad, BUT, ive been an electrician for 27 years, and dealt with a shitload of engineers, trust me when i tell you, they (as a whole) are the biggest bunch of idiots ive ever met. Most of them have never done a days worth of work in the field theyre telling US how to do things. 9 times out of 10, i have to take drawings and layouts back to them and explain why their shit wont work in the real world.

Smartest engineer i ever worked with actually was an electrician for 10 years prior to becoming an engineer. Every PLC cabinet or redesign on a piece of equipment this man has laid out, ive not had to change a single thing on. I absolutely love when he comes on the job, cus when he hands me a set of drawings, i know that if i wire it exactly as its drawn, its gonna work, first time, every time.

Again, no disrespect to your dad intended at all, i just get tired of seeing generalized statements such as yours thrown around by people who dont have a clue what theyre talking about.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
  20. AC1108

AC1108 Well-Known Member

But it works on paper! :rolleyes: