1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Michelin Power One

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Gorilla, Feb 4, 2009.

1. Gorilla

Gorilla Let me push on that bitch

Anybody try'em yet

2. chest2tank

chest2tank Well-Known Member

they kinda look like stinkos

3. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

I did.worked great at my speed :)

4. Jordan

Jordan Well-Known Member

what pressures were yall running?

5. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

same PSI as prior models. 30 front/22 rears. Here is some additional info i got.
    POWER 1 tires (info)
    FRONTS
    all the DOT 17" fronts are MULTI compound and run 30psi cold. (just like the C). There are three (3) fronts to choose from. THe A and the B are SLIGHTLY more rounded but IS trianguilated. the V, the most triangulated or pointed of the 3 tires. A and B are slightly less triangulated than the old C front but apparently nearly exact same height. According to Michelin, the A and B would be the most popular tires and are 5 ply tires.

A- 9.48lbs, 605.4mm diameter and is the softer compound, used for when ambient temps are below 68F.
    compounds would be 4/8/4 with the 4 (softer) would be the entire contact patch at full lean.
    B- 9.48lbs, 605.4mm , slightly harder than the A, and used when temps are above 68F.
    compounds would be 5/8/5 with the 5 slightly firmer than the 4.
    V- 9.92lbs, 606mm, however is 4 ply (not 5 like A and B), and is more triangulated almost "pointed" with a 5/8/5 compound.

REAR TIRES.
    -all the180/55 are 639.5mm in diameter, 13.73lbs, are 4 ply and multi compund (35% of edges is softer so 35%/30mid%/35%)
    -all the 190/55 are 652.8mm tall. 14.77lbs, 4 ply and multi compound.
    -the "A " tire edges of the 180 and 190's would be a "4" (soft) compound edge
    - the "B" edges being "5" (not as soft as 4),
    -THe "C" REAR will be an endurance type tire with a "6" type edge
    -ALL the middles of all the tires being a "9" compound (hardest).

TIRE WARMERS: as per Michelin, for COMPETITION (not street tires) put warmers at 176F for 30-40 min before use for FRONT AND REARS. DO NOT leave on for more than 90 minutes ever. If guys find something that works better please let us know.

WEAR: when the rain sipes are gone the tires are designed to WORK BETTER! so dont rush to change when the rain sipes are gone. The tires are designed to loose the rain sipes to become a "slick".

There WILL be NEW series power1 150 and 160 rears, as well as 110 fronts but are not here yet. There will only be an A and B but front and rear are multi compound.
    There are no new slicks right now, the 46a slick 17" front is still available but will be labled "Power1" like the DOT tires. NEW 16.5" tires will be out soon with 3 choices front and rear like the DOT line.

Track day/sport tire are all 3 ply and are multi compound front AND rears. Front is 4/8/4 and the rear is 3/7/3..so may get too hot with fast riders.

PRICES! This is the good news. The new Power 1 competiton tires will be close in price to what we have been paying. $160 for fronts, $230 for 180 rears, $240 for 190 rears. THe 46a slick front went to $182 per tire..bummer.
    ALL the old tires, 3-4-5-C will be discounted but little inventory of the old stuff is left. THERE ARE TONS of the new tires and should have no problems with supply.

6. upnadam

upnadam Fast x .5

Good info and good news, thanks. :up:

7. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

SportbikeTireService.com has PLENTY of the previous generation Power Race Product.. including PRC, PR3, PR4, PR5, PRD, PRE and Power Race Soft, Medium-Soft and Medium in popular sizes if anyone is looking for some. We have some money saving combo deals (1 front and 3 rears) that are perfect for the track day guys and gals for a special price.

We're excited about the new Power One so talk to your Michelin Trackside Service provider about which of the new Power One compounds and profiles are right for you and take some of our contingency money!!!!:up:

Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
  8. Yard Sale

Yard Sale premix huffer

They have a web based tire selector...

http://www.michelinpowerone.com/sitepower/site/indexen.html

Interesting that for my GSXR600 (or 750), when I choose DOTs, it gives me a 180 rear, but when I choose slicks it gives me a 19/69 rear. That can't be right.

If any of you Michelin guys want to dump old stock of S1246A fronts, I'm you're man.

9. Arctic Donkey

Arctic Donkey Well-Known Member

I thought the 1246 front slick was already superseded by the 1270 front slick? That's what I was using last season.

10. k6sinfiddy

k6sinfiddy Well-Known Member

Dang near every input i enter it comes up power 1 A:confused:
    thats odd... only time it changed was with slick and road riding hmmm.

11. Racer45

Racer45 old guy just tryin'

good info, thanks

12. Yard Sale

Yard Sale premix huffer

I just noticed this. I was wondering why they had a 1246A and 1847C Power One slicks, kind of lame and confusing to keep the old numbers. So they are the old tires rebadged. Now we get the same great front tire but must pay $22 more for the pleasure of a new name on the sidewalls.

You must have entered the flags for a soft compound tire: low ambient temperature: tight track, non-abrasive track, short race, etc.

13. STT-Rider

Actually you are paying for raw material cost increases and the USD vs Euro exchange rate. Michelin roadrace tires are made in France or Spain.

14. klebs01

klebs01 Well-Known Member

If that were the case, we should be getting a 10%+ discount from last year.

15. 4yamahas

4yamahas Well-Known Member

Euro is $1.28 it was up close to$1.80 last summer. Also arnt tires petroleum based products ? Last time I checked oil is less than a third what it cost last year.

16. 4yamahas

4yamahas Well-Known Member

Does the trackday/sport tire in any way replace the power 2ct ? Also do they require warmers ?

17. STT-Rider

Exellent observation....did you see a 29% price increase mid-season to reflect that exchange rate??? Nope. We held prices firm for our race product(s) but I didn't see anyone tossing hugs a kisses our (or Pirelli, Dunlop or B'stone's) way when we held prices fim.

I am merely explaining a price increase... Also, oil is just a part of the tire cost, carbon black and other items such as the fibers for the ply windings etc make up a large percentage.

18. 2Fer

2Fer Is good

When will the Power Ones start to show up at STT days?

19. STT-Rider

No and no.

The commercial Power One race product is a single forumula in each size (120/60, 120/70, 160/60, 180/55, 190/50 and 190/55) that was developed to work in a very wide range of temperature and track conditions.

The rubber mix is also more resistant to loss of performance from heat cycle issues. They are designed to heat up faster than the previous generation of Power Race product. Warmers are not required but are an option for those who desire the performance advantage on the first lap or so that come with their use.

20. STT-Rider

We have 1000+ of them now....... We'll be stocking them trackside.