Do your better halves like you racing?

Discussion in 'General' started by forceten, Jan 30, 2009.

1. Chumbucket

Chumbucket Well-Known Member

Are you prepared to be nauseous?

I hope so...

Hey, you asked...

My girlfriend in 1985 attended every roadrace I ever participated in through the 1990's, with the exception of one, and that one I left her crying in the driveway, but not in a bad way...I was chasing a regional championship of all things, and heading to Grattan, and she couldn't go, and she was all worried about me...You know, the typical stuff, "What if you get hurt, what if something happens to you? Blah, blah..."

Oh this is easy I thought, witty answer? That's me...."Baby? If something happens to me you know the last thing I'll be thinking of is you...."

Atta boy....I got bunted off of turn two at Grattan that weekend and what would have been my last thought skipping across the grass still on two wheeels was, "I can save this, I can save this, I can save this..." Never thought once about her, I was busy...

It all worked out, I had a decent weekend, the regional thing worked out fine, and I still laugh about that today...

She missed a bunch of track stuff later on, but she was always there...

And she'll be there this Spring at VIR....I've gotten older and slower, she's still magic...

And if I left her in the driveway she'd be crying...

2. Silvy

Silvy Noob

I don't race, but I got into trackdays last season (did 3). The GF is very supportive and acts as my pit helper (can't say pit-bish, cuz she'd stop then).

We'll see if I get into racing what happens.

I do believe that your s/o should be supportive in whatever you do, but I know it's not realistic in most instances.

3. Chumbucket

If it's not "realistic" adjust your sights upwards and find better equipment for the task at hand...

4. fullmetalF4i

fullmetalF4i C. Lee #826

when i first started my fiance wasnt too into it, but supported my decision, that was until she felt that it was time to gtfo of our relationship. then it became the main reason for us breaking up (coincidently the week of a race weekend)
    the next girlfriend thought it was awesome but never came out to the races, being an on call nurse kinda takes away the free time needed to attend races.
    my current s/o loves racing, and we're trying to get her on the track as soon as she gets her own bike.

5. TEAMLIKETYSPLIT

TEAMLIKETYSPLIT In Limbo

My wife came with me to the races when we were dating. She enjoyed it until she had to ride back from s.c. with me havinga broken foot and (naturally) truck troubles. It was the ride from hell and she never enjoyed it after that. The real mistake i made was letting her in on the money part of racing. If i had not done that, i would still be racing today. Strangly, she's o.k. with trackdays.:confused: Of course, having twin daughters didnt help my cause either.:rolleyes:

6. Chumbucket

Racing money and money-money are two different things....Find one that speaks the same language...

Victory knows no spreadsheets...

7. DaveB

DaveB Just Riding Around

So far no problems, she actually prefers me to do trackdays and race instead of riding on the street. She understands I can be hurt but if I am at least there is medical attention close at hand unlike on the street.

She also understands it's an addiction, I can't say enough about her patience as I've been at race weekends on both her birthday and anniversary, we've been married long enough that that's not a big deal to her anymore.

8. kjohnson

kjohnson Axis

Mine loves it and refuses to "get in the way" that some women can sometimes do.If I ever mention reducing racing activity,she always says loudly "Why?" .

9. whitey21

whitey21 umm...yeah.

i am glad that your hand allows you to race eddie.

10. mineshaved

mineshaved product of my enviroment

last year was my first year doing trackdays and my gf goes with me to everyday she can, she helps me in the pits, and were trying to get her out on the track!! maybe ill try racing sometime in the future but im sure she will be cool with it :)

11. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

You wanna touch me where?

12. DDK732

DDK732 Well-Known Member

I met my wife at the track when she was working for umbrellagirls.com. She only has a problem when I spend money.

Her parents, on the other hand, think it's too dangerous and would probably prefer I sold furniture.

13. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

i told mine when we got serious that motorcycles are a part of the deal and she doesn't get a say in that....... take it or leave it. She stuck around and now she loves going to the track and being my pit bitch.

14. Team Rev

Team Rev Race Junkie

My wife was 100% supportive while she was going to the track with me.
    Two kids later with her sitting at home worrying I'm no longer alowed to even talk about it at home,but still make it to every round.

15. kz2zx

kz2zx zx2gsxr2zx

I was riding long before I met her.

She approves of my youngest daughter riding dirtbikes with me.

She approves of the track, in the abstract, as being way safer than the street. She knows how fast I used to ride on the street, and she's good friends with the ambulance crew at Arroyo.

She knows how much happier I am when I race. She knows everyone at the track is a friend of mine, and that is the literal truth.

If there weren't the potential to get hurt, she'd be fine with the expense, even.

But she can't watch me race.

16. BigHeadzDC

BigHeadzDC One Track Wonder

My wife loves that I race.. in fact she gives me more shit about street riding, saying it's more dangerous.

17. Forbin

Forbin Member

I've been tempted to go to the dark side but thus far I've been successful in my efforts to stay focused on what I love most. :)

Besides, a bike, especially a race bike, is a lot like a girlfriend anyway. ;)

My parents worry about me and generally don't like me racing but understand that it's what I live for.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
  18. Scott Harwell

Scott Harwell Well-Known Member

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones, my racing brought us together. We both love all kinds of racing. When she's not with me racing then she is racing cars at another track. Even today as I plan a dirtbike ride tomorrow, she tears up because she's 9 months pregnant and can't go herself to ride.

19. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

She's a GIRLFRIEND! Tell her to like it, get over it, or GTF out!

20. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

Bonnie would not be crazy about me racing a "full schedule" as we do not have the time. I could race a couple of times a season but there are three reasons I do not. #1 She worries that I'll get ultra competitive and fall down and get hurt and it would be tough to run the business with me busted up. #2I love my wife and respect her.. she asks very little of me and even though she says she cool with it she is saying it for my sake. #3.. I absolutely do not want to listen to her say "I was right" when #1 happens!!

Sharing your life with someone is a compromise. Racing and track days really are very different and I get my "fix" without racing. However, I did race MX, SCORE and So Cal desert events (Hell.. I did the first Loretta Lynns.. and YES dirt had been invented by then) so I got it outta my system.. sort of.

My advice is to find out what is really bothering her.. money, your safety, teh time committment.. and address that issue if possible.