Do your better halves like you racing?

Discussion in 'General' started by forceten, Jan 30, 2009.

1. forceten

forceten Well-Known Member

I'm all geared up to race with wera this year. Been planning on it since last year. Pretty excited about it actually! Just wanted to get a few riding issues down pat first on the track before trying to race.

Got about 17 track days in last year and a few the year before that. I'm pretty comfortable on the track and am really hooked into riding on it. So much so that I stopped riding on the street really.My girl came with me to almost every trackday last year (cept calabogie in canada). She likes the track and has no problem with me being on it. I mentioned last year about racing and she didn't bat an eye about it.

Now that she sees I'm just about to jump into racing this year - she says she has a problem with it.

She says track days are one thing but thinks I will be too aggressive in a race and that racing is too dangereous. I am trying to convince her otherwise. I will probably race with or without her consent but its gonna be such a headache if she stays against it.

I got her to agree to watch to a wera race in person before saying no. She wants to see just how aggressive you guys are on the track before agreeing for me to race (god I hope no serious crashes that day - whatever one I pick).

What do your wives, girlfriends or partners think about your racing? Any suggestions to help me out?

2. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Mine doesn't think much about me doing anything that might be considered fun.

3. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Does that include making babies?

4. Sig

Sig Well-Known Member

my gf freaked out the first race weekend she went to. Was all worried when she saw a wreck. I told her she would just need to get used to that if she was going to keep coming.....and soon she did get used to it.

Track days aren't really safe and neither is racing. Both of you need to accept that or probably not in the best interest.

5. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Pretty much.

6. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

She's fine with it. I am worth more dead than alive.

7. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

I don't a better half. My worse half keeps me away from racing/track days. My bike sit and wilt away. Racing/riding or working. Working is making all the decisions.

8. gpstar748

gpstar748 Well-Known Member

i think any significant other would probably not be a very good one if they didnt worry about your safety doing something dangerous like riding motorcycles at ludacris speeds

that said my g/f supports it and likes going to the track with me......i also make sure to do plenty of things she likes to do because its a give, give type thing

my g/f is even going with me to Ireland this summer for my race.........shes very against it if they have it in the rain but other than that shes pretty excited to go

hopefully your g/f is outgoing/friendly because one thing that will help her like it more is all the people you get to meet

9. Liren

Liren Sippy Cup Siren

There's a reason some of choose to race the ninja 250s :D

10. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

lol:crackup:, me too:beer:

11. vito2279

vito2279 Well-Known Member

Mine has been cool with trackdays/racing until last August at Jennings when I broke my wrist. It was my first injury since I started riding on the track back in 2005. Now she has a bad outlook when I tell her that I'm going to the track. She still supports me in the end though because she know that riding on the track is what makes me happy:beer:

12. 771Doug

771Doug V6HW #686

My g.f. had been to several of my track days and some WERA and AMA races, so she pretty much knew what was going on and is very encouraging.
    She was busting my balls about not racing my street bike ('06 750).

13. Smokes35

Smokes35 Well-Known Member

HA! you guys have better halves... i have better 8ths... and they all hate it cept the really slutty one who thinks it makes me "sexy"

14. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

She's fine with it. Now that the kids are getting older and we have a toy hauler they can even start coming to a few rounds.

15. gpracer15

gpracer15 Built to Ride

Ditto there:up:

16. royalgixxer

royalgixxer The Bodywork Guy

My wife doesn't realy like it but with that said she still suports me in whatever I deside to do. Just like with my band. I think she would rather me race then play the bar gigs. She realy hates it when the groupies gather inbetween sets. I myself don't mind, but don't tell her that.:D

Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
  17. drew231506

drew231506 Zero sponsors

My wife hates it, my Dad hates it, my Mom hates it, Brother hates it...I think I might hate it too.

18. Sacko DougK

Sacko DougK Well-Known Member

So, the slutty one likes you racing. Hmm......slutty and likes you racing. Keep her, just don't screw it up by marrying her.

Mine isn't slutty and hates me doing anything with racing/trackdays/fun. Everytime I crashed, she'd never ask how I was. Just how much money to fix it THIS time.

If you want to go racing, stay single. Matter of fact if you want to be happy for the rest of your life, stay single.:beer:

19. Cuddles de Sade

Cuddles de Sade AnACREE in the UK!!!

they either understand and support you...or they don't. take that for what it is...

20. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Mine doesn't like it at all. She's willing to come watch, but only because she knows how much I enjoy it and I'm gonna do it whether she likes it or not. Don't get me wrong, she is the boss, but you know what I mean. She would never say it's me or the bike or anything like that though. I've got a damn good one to be perfectly honest. :p