1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Review: HEROIC Racing Prototype Suit

Discussion in 'General' started by FiveOh, Jan 16, 2009.

1. antor1

antor1 Well-Known Member

I think they are a bit too pricy considering that its a brand just coming out. I think most people especially newbies would go for a more known brand that has been out there for a while. Other than that I have seen them in person and they look real nice. At the time I was shopping for a suit and really considered HRA but when I found out the price I thought to my self why not get a known brand for the same price? I ended up spending almost $500 less and got a known brand.
    Has to lower the price if he wants his name out there and start some serious sales if you ask me. This is just my opinion

2. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

The problem with external armor is that it's always proprietary, and it can be very difficult for a leather repair person to source when you destroy it in a crash. When that happens, you have unrepairable damage instead of a new piece of leather.

Apart from that it seems like a perfectly good suit., but what are you getting for the $1400 that you don't get with the $650 Gerrick suit that STG sells (for example)? Or more to the point, why would you spend $1400 on an OTR suit when you can get a custom suit made locally for $1200?

I'm not a hater...I think it's a pretty sharp looking suit, and I don't care about the brand name, but it seems way overpriced to me.

3. FiveOh

FiveOh Well-Known Member

You're right that if the armor is fully destroyed it's hard to get just anyone to repair. I've just never fully destroyed any external armor even after multiple crashes, so I hadn't thought of that. If you could get a replacement piece of armor, maybe you could use some hardcore adhesive to attach it.

No doubt that $1400 isn't exactly cheap!

The suits aren't all $1400 though, and a phone call could def be worthwhile because they may very well help out with racer pricing.

You're 100% right, who wants to spend that kind of money on an unknown? No one.

That's why I wanted to post my experience with them. I've seen how they hold up in a crash first hand and from pictures of the suit that the owner has crashed in a few times and it's impressive to say the least.

I just think it's ridiculous the way some on here cop such an attitude. If you were trying to start a company aimed at making a living from building a high quality race suit, how would you make a name for yourself? Just buy up ad space with fancy graphics? What is so wrong about giving some support to the little guy, using honest feedback from racers to improve the product, and gaining exposure from legitimate word of mouth?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2009
  4. Spyderchick

Spyderchick Leather Goddess

The suits look like a meld of A*s, Komodo and Berik. I agree they look to be fairly pricey, considering you can get a good A*s or an RS Taichi for several hundred $$ less.

From what I can see in the photos they look to be adequate, however, the website says that there's Kevlar thread used throughout the suit. That greatly concerns me, because while the Aramid fabrics that are used in the stretch panels do contain Kevlar, they are manufactured with other materials and is there more for it's abrasion resistance rather than it's tensile strength.

Because of the short staple fibers used to create Kevlar thread, it is not appropriate in stressed applications, like crotch, leg and armscye seams, as it lacks the required tensile strength. Other manufacturers of suits have found this out and returned to the industry standard of #69 bonded nylon thread, which has a more appropriate property profile for use in race apparel.

As far as external armor, I find it's use most appropriate at the shoulders, as it protects both the suit and the rider. Small pieces of external armor are also helpful at the elbow, but not a necessity. Armor with Ti embedded into it via a plastic bevel will provide protection, but I have seen the once the bevel is ground away in the event of a crash, it can expose a sharp edge, which I would recommend covering with duct tape to prevent injury.

One last thought, the description does not specify whether they are using Keprotec (Kevlar Aramid fabric) in the stretch panels. If it anything but Keprotec, then the suit does not merit the high price tag.

5. 2Fer

2Fer Is good

Damn with all that fancy talk people might think you know what you are doing :D.

In all seriousness the fact you chime up in here and talk about suit, quality, repairs etc.. speaks loads to your experience and make me feel comfortable about doing business with you.
    BTW whats the turn around time on getting a suit cleaned this time of year?

6. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

That says it all. With something like RS Taichi you know what you are getting, so why risk it on an unknown?

7. FiveOh

FiveOh Well-Known Member

Thanks for your input!

Maybe, that's why they are switching to the bonded nylon. Even the kevlar stitched suits have held up without busting seams.

I can try to find out about the stretch panels...

8. Spyderchick

At least 2 weeks, most any time of year, add a week if you want lettering or repairs. :)

9. Knarf Legna

Knarf Legna I am not Gary Hoover

What are the differences between the $1400 suit and the $1050 suit? :confused:

10. 2Fer

2Fer Is good

Well for starters $350

:D :D

11. Knarf Legna

Knarf Legna I am not Gary Hoover

Set myself up pretty good for that one, eh? :D

12. paistes5

paistes5 Well-Known Member

That extra treefiddy gets you more logos. :D

13. Spyderchick

You opened the door and he took the opportunity. :D

14. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

I guess you could just mooch off of a BBS paid for by somebody else. :rolleyes:

15. 45° Please

45° Please Large Member

oopps

:D

16. FiveOh

FiveOh Well-Known Member

And who exactly is mooching what?

I have posted gear reviews from a bunch of stuff that I've purchased with no support. When I'm looking to make a purchase, I search and read peoples opinions, so I return the favor. Does that make your pussy hurt?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2009
  17. G 97

G 97 Garth

You seem to know alot just for a "casual" product user. How do you know so much.

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You're pimping your sponsor on our BBS, stop trying to pretend you're not and people will leave you alone.

19. FiveOh

FiveOh Well-Known Member

Like I said from the beginning... This is a prototype suit that I am helping to test out and give feedback to get it dialed in for production. Since my buddy's suit had kevlar stitching and this one didn't, I asked.

20. FiveOh

FiveOh Well-Known Member

Who's pretending? I'd say I was pretty upfront about this. I just don't get why a community of motorcycle racers lashes out when someone gets a little support. I'm not a secret business partner trying to scam free advertising. I've busted my ass in a sport I love to secure the small amount of support that I have. I'm not sure why any potentially credibility gets thrown out the window because of that...