1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2006 2007 r6 engine reliability question

Discussion in 'Tech' started by 56cbr600rr, Jul 28, 2007.

1. jigmoore

jigmoore Banned

true...but do you feel gsxr frames have a higher failure rate?

2. Chip

Chip Registered

No.....we have been racing GSX-R's since 1999 professionally. We have crashed a ton of them. We have never broke a frame.

I have been to 100's of races....and seen many 100's of crashes. I have only seen a handful of broken GSX-R frames.

See the last post.....frames are not designed to be crashed....because they fail doing something they are not designed to do is not a design flaw or an inherent problem.

3. jigmoore

jigmoore Banned

ok.

then i won't ask you about the r6 crank problems.

4. Chip

Chip Registered

A crank failure (a failure doing a task it was designed to do) is different from a frame failure from a crash. (doing a task it was not designed to do)

I would hope with your engineering background that you would understand that.

5. jigmoore

jigmoore Banned

yes, it is, and yes, i understand that.

but i also know that there is a gsxr frame weld problem. i agree they all broke doing something they weren't designed to do....but they all break in exactly the same place....it's only gixxers that break there.....and welders say it's not supposed to break there. that's a problem. doesn't mean i wouldn't race one....or that i would worry it would fall apart while riding (though there are guys who say that has happened).

if you don't feel there is a gixxer frame weld problem....then you probably wouldn't be too quick to feel there is a r6 crank problem.

that's fine....just wanted to do a litmus question before asking anymore on the r6 crank.

6. Chip

Chip Registered

One more thing to clarify....

I am not saying that GSX-R frames are not failing....they are. They break....no doubt. But they break doing something they were not designed to do, so that is not a design flaw....

Also, based on my experience.....I do not see GSX-R frames failing at an alarmingly high rate that I would consider it a issue.

Example...in 3 years....with 5 different riders....John Haner, Matt Lynn, David Weber, Lee Acree, and Blake Young....we have crashed some where north of 30 times....we have had one frame that needed to be straightened and one frame that broke a frame slider mount off (it hit a wall at Infineon) and was re-welded and is still in service. We have never broken a frame at a weld or had a frame that was a complete write off.

7. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

That's why it's called "anecdotal" evidence, not "data."

Tell me this: if four of your friends all went out and bought the same 60" big screen, and inside 6 months 3 of them suffered catastrophic failure, would that be enough information to at least consider the idea that maybe there is an issue with that model tv?

Nobody is saying that there is, at this point, a defined, known problem with the R6's, supported by collected data. However, eventually enough of them blowing up makes people take a step back and wonder what's up.

8. Chip

Chip Registered

Werd....

I would recommend buying a GSX-R600. :up:

9. jigmoore

jigmoore Banned

so how many different r6 rod bearing problems (individual bikes...not issues) were mentioned in this thread?

6?

10. Handicapped Racer

Handicapped Racer Well-Known Member

this thread is funny. Just for 1 min think how many R-6's are out there, are they really maintained,as one's claim probably not. Stock motors run on road courses and you complain of failures. I'd say you all make up less than 3% of the R-6 that have had engine failures, and how many have just jumped on the band wagon to saw mine just blew when i was driving to the end of my dirve way. this is the same thing i've head for years about suzuki's having bad 2nd gears, and bad #3 crank journals. 1000 having junks clutches. I personally haven't had the pleaseure of building a 06-07 R-6 but i can promise you there is no problem with em. Sorta weird yamaha was willing to buy a bike back for an erronious tach, but not a problematic engine. I guess Ms South Carolina's been workin for Yamaha in her spare time.

11. jigmoore

jigmoore Banned

well....there you have it. terrance promises.

12. Handicapped Racer

Your a Dick sometimes Brain!:rolleyes:

Last edited: Aug 28, 2007
  13. TwoCycler

TwoCycler Well-Known Member

I have built the 2006-07 R6 engine somewhere between 15-20 times. As well as doing my own engines, I have done R6 engines for Chris Peris and Rob Jensen. I have personally had three engine failures. These were a blown head gasket (non OEM), a broken valve, and a spun #2 rod bearing. Of these three failures, the only one that was my fault was the spun rod bearing. The engine had low oil pressure do to a 'questionable' modification I had made. Otherwise my cranks/cases/rods have been very durable. Now I will knock on wood, cross my fingers, and throw salt over my should...because the ONE thing I know is that when you are dealing with complex machinery sometimes it is but by the grace of God that you will never have a part failure in a racing environment.

14. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

jig, go over to the R6 messege board, you'll see even more folks with the new R6's having this problem.

15. ddemel

ddemel Well-Known Member

I spoke with yamaha today and they will not warranty any parts or anything because I took the motor apart myself and I am not a Yamaha certified mechanic. Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do at this point, or am I just screwed?

16. Chip

Chip Registered

You have two race bikes. You crashed one and blew up the other and you expect Yamaha to pay for them...:confused:

You have blown up one twice now.....I assume you "fixed" it the first time and have taken it apart yourself the second time.....

and again you expect this to be covered under some kind of warranty....

When the condom broke, did you call Yamaha about that too?

17. Wingnut

Wingnut Well-Known Member

Yes you are screwed in many ways! I got your voicemail by the way. I'll keep my eyes out.

18. ddemel

ddemel Well-Known Member

Nope I didn't crash it a friend did, and I dont think any bike should catch on fire after a simple lowside yet alone several of them catching on fire after simple low sides. Yamaha told me if it would have been crashed on the street they would have covered it, but since it crashed on the track they would not. Their commercials imply that the r6 is a race bike and you are saying if you race it you can get upset if you crash and something happens...I agree with you on that. But when there is a repeated issue with things like the same bike catching on fire from the same thing probably more than all ather race bike catching on fire from any other reason or this many of the same people having the same issue with spinning rod bearings...you have to raise you eye brow and say to your self WTF! This is just my opinion and I'm pretty sure I'm not alone on this. I'm not some ignorant newbie who is just trying to bag on or get free stuff from Yamaha. I simply feel they should do something about this. And no the motor was fixed by a professional mechanic the 1st time and after paying for it and it breaking again and doing the same exact thing I took it apart myself to save some money.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2007
  19. Handicapped Racer

Should i even ask why, you took it apart and expected them to take your word for it! That takes the cake in my book! I'm sorry about you luck but that wasn't a bright move at all

20. WERA872

WERA872 Well-Known Member

can anyone give me the big end size for a #5 rod and diameter of a #2 crank journal on a 06-07 R6. Piece of shit manual doesnt give sizes
    I normally dont care because I check the clearance with the bearing in the rod and set my rod guage to the size of the crank journal and take that difference as my clearance as long the bearing crush is acceptable, but since everyone wants to know I will post #s