1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2006 2007 r6 engine reliability question

Discussion in 'Tech' started by 56cbr600rr, Jul 28, 2007.

1. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

I have a fix

If you guys put Honda stickers on your bikes they would quit breaking all the time. :D

Of the 7 guys in the country that race Hondas, I've never seen one spin a rod bearing or break a frame. :D

2. WERA872

WERA872 Well-Known Member

All the people that work at dealerships on here & no one can give me this info!

3. rydfree

rydfree Well-Known Member

Everyone needs to stop trying to get 17,500 rpm outta these things :)

4. Carry Andrews seems to have pretty good reliability, same with Tony Romo, Chuck Chiceto, etc(sp)...

5. calidream

calidream Well-Known Member

Thats great but it seems to me the motors that don't have a problem are fine but if you spin a bearing on a stock lowerend it has a good chance that it will fail again. This thread is not about all the motors that are performing as they should I want to know who spun a bearing, repaired it found the cause and was able to keep it from happening again. What parts were replaced how many miles on the rebuild, what were the crank and rod codes, what bearings were used, what oil etc?

6. jigmoore

jigmoore Banned

lol!!!! pazinnnnnng!

7. Hordboy

Hordboy B Squad Leader

I know, I built it. (forgot the smiley before) :) No bottom end problems with that one, (literally, I just knocked on wood) but I constantly worry about it. It has Carrillos in it... anybody lost a bottom end with aftermarket rods yet? Maybe that has something do with it, like Yamaha aren't sizing the stock rod big ends properly? (crush problems) Maybe it is a bolt problem?

8. I have no idea, that is what they get paid to do and why I don't build motors... The one that I work with does not run any crazy 0-10w oil or anything like that. Running a bit heavier oil, no kit oil pump or anything like that. Not sure what these guys are doing to keep them together but they seem to have it together.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2007
  9. fabb600r6

fabb600r6 Speed is good.

My builder just called me with these specs for you:

Rod Journal #2: 1.2202

Rod #5 ID: 1.3360

Rod #5 with brown bearing: 1.2220

One other interesting thing to note: just to investigate the Yamaha bearings he went and ordered one set of each size available. When he had them laid out on the workbench he noticed a couple were stuck together. It turns out they were magnetized. Strong enough where you could lift one up off the bench with the other. That is odd isn't it? Wouldn't that attract any metallic fragments in the oil, o rpossibly cause other issues?

10. jigmoore

jigmoore Banned

i don't know if that's odd for engine parts, but i know that's common for the process that makes them (centerless grinding, i assume). the act of grinding them tends to magnetize them.

most centerless grinder operations have a de-magnetizer unit afterwards that the operator just passes the parts through.

11. WERA872

WERA872 Well-Known Member

Are these #s from Yamaha or is this what he measured?

12. fabb600r6

fabb600r6 Speed is good.

He measured.

13. humblepie

humblepie Well-Known Member

has anyone logged oil pressure, and oil temperature of an r6 circulating on a race track.

I realize this is expensive to do. This might help shed some light on the issue.

Possibly an oil TEMP problem??

14. 56cbr600rr

56cbr600rr Well-Known Member

15. jigmoore

jigmoore Banned

16. TrackHo

TrackHo Well-Known Member

My buddy is on motor #4--the last one he blew up was a factory warranty replacement motor which was a royal bitch to get yamaha to cough up--yes Yamaha knows he is racing it--this is in AFM not WERA

17. GumboTong

GumboTong Member

Revised bearings on 2008 R6

Yes, they also mention this on the US site...

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/products/modelfeatures/8/0/features.aspx

New for 2008:

- Over 50 friction-reducing strategies have been employed inside the engine, including the use of wider crank bearings.

BTW
    Anybody here used the replacement engine cases? Has it helped?

1 CRANKCASE ASSY
    2C0-15100-01-00 (replaces 2C0-15100-00-00)

18. r1owner

r1owner All cars suck!

I think they realized the took too much weight or something outta the crank by making the bearings less wide. Now they are fixing it for 08.

Anyone think there may be some legal recourse for the 06/07 owners?

19. Chip

Chip Registered

Oh sweet baby jesus....you people are retarded....rolleyes:

20. r1owner

r1owner All cars suck!

LOL! Hey man, just asking... why are there so many failures in your opinion for this particular run? Mine is still running so I'm not too worried.