Rider Aero

Discussion in 'General' started by ryoung57, Apr 30, 2013.

1. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

After reading the article about Chaz Davies visiting the BMW wind tunnel on RRW, I wonder how long it will be until the gear manufacturers really start getting involved with the aerodynamic aspect of their products. They already do it a little with helmet design and with the humps on the suits, but they could do so much more. Eventually motorcycle racers may end up looking like downhill skiers.

[​IMG]

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It's outlawed in our rulebook and most others.

3. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

To what extent? Why are humps and helmet spoilers allowed?

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

RTFRB ;)

Humps are slightly using the safety excuse of more cushioning for the neck. Helmet spoilers are doing way more for air flow than aero, they'd have to get more like the pic for it to matter any. If it does get out of hand then I'll do something.

5. trancework

trancework It's always now...

Looks like the mascot for this:

[​IMG]

6. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

7. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

And I remember a conversation on here at one point about the humps on certain riders suits getting bigger and bigger.

8. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

You noticed that too. Either Marquez is really tiny or the hump on the back of his suit is the size of a small mountain.

[​IMG]

9. I wonder if at first the guy was like "Umm, dude...no...im not wearing that bullshit". :crackup:

10. YZROOSTINYA

YZROOSTINYA Well-Known Member

He was prob like, For the GOLD! I'll take it!

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

PED kit wouldn't be legal if I remember our rule wording correctly. Marquez is that tiny but the hump is pretty big too :D

12. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Definitely humpy

Attached Files:

13. caferace

caferace No.

That's Dave K riding piggyback.

-jim

14. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Like Kuato

15. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

There were a couple of variants of Spyke suits and one Berik model where the hump started at the shoulders and went all the way down to the riders waist. It was ridiculous...

As far as wind tunnels, I know Rad Greaves used on when they built the fairings for the FUSA Hyabusa and another article where BMW did testing. Who knows otherwise. Back in 98-99, Sharkskinz had a Daytona specific tail for the GSXR's that was a good 4-5 inches taller than the standard tailsecions.

16. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

How do you turn your head with that helmet on?

17. caferace

caferace No.

When you're doing 150+ miles an hour down a steep ass ski slope, turning your head is a BAD idea.

-jim

18. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Yes. But when trying to look into the corner you are about to go into at 150mph is a good idea.

That was my point. We won't get that aero cause we aren't just going straight.

19. caferace

caferace No.

OK. Next time make your point without being annoyingly obtuse. :D

-jim

20. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

150mph corners don't make you turn your head very much, if at all.