Best way to shorten exhaust can...

Discussion in 'Tech' started by racer880, Jul 15, 2011.

1. racer880

racer880 Banned

What is the best way to shorten a can? Long M-4 can on SV 650. Has anyone dynoed bike afterwards? How did the power change? I realize drilling rivits just dont want to butcher it cutting. Thanks

2. Derick

Derick Well-Known Member

leave it together and use a chop saw, then drill out the rivits

3. goodmatt78

goodmatt78 Well-Known Member

When you shorten it, you have to shorten the core as well. You can get pipe expander to enlarge the female end (exit side) after you shorten the core so that it will accept the cap. Then cut the sleeve to the same length and rivot back together and repack.

4. BrianC636

BrianC636 Well-Known Member

Derick's way is what I've had the best luck with. Just tape the can up real well before you start so you don't scratch it up.

I'd like to do this with my carbon leo canister on my SV but the ends are flared out where the end cap goes in so I figured if I started cutting it up I'd run into more problems than it was worth.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2011
  5. Turbo storm

Turbo storm Well-Known Member

Exactly how I did mine. Put tape around the whole canister to prevent scratches, and draw your cut line on the tape. Be sure to wear a dust mask as the fiberglass is not good to have in your lungs. Drill out the rivits from the cut piece, fit the end cap into the shortened section. Use a small center punch to indent the can. Carefully drill the holes , followed by riviting.

Good luck.

6. SV650R

SV650R GSXR ASSASSIN

is it just too long or is it damaged?

Shorter is going to make it louder...

No performance added... May actually lose some bottom an mid range...

You probably won't notice it... Just make sure it does not run too lean...

You could probably take it to a shop and measure emmisions before and after...

I cut my Yoshi 10 inches... From 22" to 12"inches...

Now, my Leo Vince is full lenght...

:D Luis