1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ZX14 or Busa..... for light touring and some dragstrip?

Discussion in 'General' started by Scotty87, May 12, 2009.

1. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Bear with me here.... My mind works in a disfunctional way frequently.

I have basically given up on street riding for the last 4-5 years. I have a sumo bike that I love, a mini roadrace bike, a GS450 vintage racebike, and a Duc 900ss racebike. My only street mounts are a Kymco scooter and a Husky SM610. I traded a nice 944 kitted Monster for the Husky, with the idea that since I rarely rode Monster and live in a very flat, straight, urban area the Husky would be a better choice. It is, but I still rarely use it. Fact is, almost everytime I get the urge to avoid my truck for a street mission, I jump on the scoot. It's practicaltiy for that sort of errand is unmatched by anything in my garage. The Husky is really only good for goofing off, and well, there's nothing fun to me about goofing off on the street.... even if there was there's nowhere within 30 miles of me to do it and I don't have the patience to wade through 45 minutes of city traffic just to be unsafe on the street when I have plenty of decent track only bikes available. So much so, that I've been considering converting the Husky to a track only bike, but I honestly don't use the ones I have enough and I dont need another.

That's where I'm at. Here's what I'm considering: A ZX14, or a Busa (ick) and touring on it, as well as hitting the dragstrip. I would use it for 3-5 day or so trips. I have a great set of tourmaster soft bags and a tank bag I never use and should fit the bill for that duty. The plus side is I could take it to the local drag strip (less than 10 miles away) and try my hand at some 1/4 mile stuff. I've never done touring or dragstrip stuff before, and both intrigue me.

I went on a twin and single configured motor rampage about 5 years ago, and now I find myself missing the I4 experience. I actually miss my old Bandit 1200. I really like the idea of building (or installing parts that others built, rather) a very powerfull large displacement I4. That said, this is all new to me. I'm not a fan of chrome extended swingarms and tank murals, etc. These kind of bikes are not anything I have previously dabbled in.

So.... what say you BBS? Forget about this idea and stick to the track? Sack up and ride the street with a backpack on the Husky? Consider other bikes for this plan?

Last edited: May 12, 2009
  2. whitey21

whitey21 umm...yeah.

3. Desmorosso

Desmorosso Well-Known Member

id go zx out of the two..

4. vosnick52

vosnick52 Well-Known Member

Busa Baby :up:

5. Scotty87

Okay...... but why?

6. vance

vance *

never owned a zx, but I've had two busas and have taken one down the northeast coast with the wife. Though it was comfy, compared to an R1. :)
    As far as dragstrip, people will debate it, but even the articles ABOUT the 14's will slide in the fine print at the end.......
    can't beat a busa for a platform.:up:

7. Scotty87

I hear ya, but this would be occasional "just have some fun" dragstrip use. I wouldn't convert it to race only or get really crazy with it. I kinda like the fact that the ZX is a slight underdog in this instance.

8. vance

vance *

I'll make my case and then shut up.
    99-07 unchanged, except for some electrical, so TONS of parts available.
    Always outsold any model of any year Kawi put out, it really never took hold with dragracers like the busa did.
    So once again, more parts/accessories available
    you can find SO MUCH crap for these bike

The bad....everyone's got one (compared to the kawis).

9. Scotty87

That's what bugs me.

But there's no arguing with everything else you said. Food for thought.

10. Redbird

Redbird Well-Known Member

ZX-14 is a great touring platform. I've done 1000+ mile days on mine, heading down to Arkansas this weekend. Busa is a great bike, but I can't get past that ugly ass tail (on the second gen) and the fact that you can't throw a rock without hitting one around here, as mentioned.

BTW, if you're at all anal about your paint, you'll want to look into hard luggage. The shape of the ZX tail doesn't lend itself to mounting soft luggage without some serious rub points.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Repo Man

Repo Man 50 years of Yamaha GP!!

ZX because it's not a Busa...

12. Sig

Sig Well-Known Member

goldwing........they strike fear in everybody at the dragstrip

13. Desmorosso

Desmorosso Well-Known Member

I've only ridden the ZX, a friends drag bike (street legal one though). It was a monster. I've always thought they won in the looks department too.

This is what I think when I think busa. Sorry I know ignorant generalization they're not all like that but ya know... for me personally that whole scene would be the tie breaker

[​IMG]

14. CycleWorx Inc.

CycleWorx Inc. Well-Known Member

I have ridden both quite often since I have several friends that have both. In my opinion the hayabusa is alot more comfy with plenty of power and alot more accesories. You could do like I did and save the money and buy a mid
    90's CBR1000f Hurricane with a Corbin seat. HAHAHAHA. Anyways, just my opinion but the Hayabusa would be a better choice in the long run. Plus 14's are butt ugly.:down:

15. paistes5

paistes5 Well-Known Member

I used to have a Busa and absolutely loved it. Yes, its big but the power was amazing. You don't have to trick them all out like everybody else, but there are some nice subtle mods you can do if you want to change the appearance. I'd get another Busa in a second. Very easy to ride on a long haul for a sportbike and there are tons and tons of parts for them. As stated above, essentially unchanged for 8 years. Also, it may just be me but I think the 14 is one of the ugliest bikes I've seen, but that just might be my bias.

I took mine to the dragstrip, talk about a rush. I even did a couple of track days on it, at Tally (old configuration) and Barber. It'll wear you out but it was a lot of fun.

16. TheJames

TheJames Feelin lucky?

possibly the coolest zx i've ever seen. very nice, and clean:up:

17. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

I have owned 2 Busa's and really liked the bikes. I have thrown soft luggage and a tank bank on them and done 800-1000 mile weekend trips with no problems and in comfort.

18. Chip

Chip Registered

Busa....without question.

The ZX-14 is a pile. We build a ton of both. The busa does everything better.

19. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

I've owned my 'Busa since '01 and have over 50K on it now. I've done one or two 800 mile days on it but that's definitely all I want of that bike by the end of a day like that.

I think the Hayabusa is a beautiful bike in stock trim, which is pretty much how I've kept mine except for a double bubble. The only reason I put the double bubble on it is because I couldn't see the dashboard from a normal seating position.

If you go to the dragstrip around here you'll see nearly as many ZX14's as 'Busas.

However, a friend of mine (now deceased) bought a ZX14 and I rode his some. The Kaw really is an incredible machine. But I'd come down on the 'Busa side for all the reasons stated by others above.

20. WERA_Fan

WERA_Fan Well-Known Member

go back to your Bandit ! Get a new 1250 with the money you save have some engine work done - prefect sleeper bike !!