Yamaha WR250r or DRZ400sm?

Discussion in 'General' started by bitchcakes, Jun 30, 2012.

1. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

Very subjective answer on what is a "good" bike, most are, what do you want though? Comfy, barely legal? I rode a WR426 on the street nearly daily when it wasn't raining for well over a year, maybe two. 7-10k miles? No gauges or anything so I'm not sure :) Changed the oil and the valves didn't move in that time at all. Put an exhaust on it, changed the cam timing and flogged that thing every time I got on it. Awesome bike. Of course, someone who's never even owned one will quickly tell you it's a time bomb and you'll blow it up before you get out of your neighborhood, better buy a KLR :D

2. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

3. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

I guess I want something I can have fun on thats not going to blow up around the block.:D I always heard your big crf450 and yzf 450 had lots of trouble with the vales when rode on the street and they needed alot of work. I could care less about gauges or stuff like that I do think maybe electric start would be a good thing to have. So I guess give me a little schooling PMooney what are some you would recomend? I wanna be able to flog the thing and ride it like Iam running from a angry fat girl that I just told no fat chicks allowed but I need to make sure it wont blow up before she catches me.:crackup: Thanks :beer:

4. PMooney Jr.

KLR650

:crackup:

5. assjuice cyrus

Isnt the klr650 a little on the heavy side? I dont know much about them.

6. PMooney Jr.

Kidding :D DRZ is the standby but if you've ever ridden a 450 or something similar it'll feel like it has an anchor attached to it. They can be made quick though, a used one that's already had the work done would be ideal. I built my last DRZ out of the offroad model and only used the street legal frame. That was a fun bike, plenty of power and only weighed around 275 vs the street one which is pretty hefty for a little single.

7. assjuice cyrus

What about some of the wr450 I have seen changed over? What are they like and are they kick start only? I like the yamaha wr250x but alot of people said its way under powerd.

8. PMooney Jr.

That said, I've got a 22 hp XR250 that is a blast to ride on the street. It's not supposed to be fast though, maybe that's the difference :confused: For the money, a DRZ is hard to beat. SM models are pricey though, look for a S model which is the dual sport, they're pretty cheap. Big KTM's are fun as are any big light single really. On demand wheelies in nearly every gear is tits :up:

9. PMooney Jr.

A legal WR450 would ruin you of pretty much any other bike out there in the lower price range. Hard to go backwards from those. Not really a comfy street bike but it'll make up for it in wheelies :) They're electric start, the 426 was a kicker.

10. assjuice cyrus

Ha, i would like to see the xr250. What is the top speed of that thing? Do you get run over on a small two line highway? :crackup:

11. PMooney Jr.

Haha, no it's fine at highway speeds. It's a 6 speed and geared to where it will cruise at 65 but still go through the woods ok. It could be geared up some and cruise faster no problem.

This is it a few months ago. It has dirt wheels on it now for some woods riding.

[​IMG]

This is it when I bought it.

[​IMG]

12. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I thought that was the Aprilia with the very temperamental maintenance schedule.

13. bitchcakes

bitchcakes reluctant member

Pat: You gave that bike a complete sex-change!

Dragnframe: Get the DRZ400SM. You will not regret it! This is the most fun bike I have ever ridden! Can't ride it enough.

14. assjuice cyrus

That must by why I cant seem to find one around here for a decent price.

15. Hammer 4

Hammer 4 Can't Touch This

You may be right. Been awhile since I was into SM husky's, that and old age doesn't help with the memory either..:D

16. assjuice cyrus

That xr looks like a blast. I race a xr100 and I couldnt beleive how much fun that thing is to race for as small as it is, and how hard you can really ride that little thing. I bet your xr is just a blast around town. Thanks for the pics.

17. PMooney Jr.

Just couldn't get past the Adams apple no matter how many times I rode it.

No problem, it's a riot.

18. YamRZ350

YamRZ350 Nicorette Dependent

I have a WR250R that I got to commute on. Really fun bike, long service intervals, 6 speed box, lots of charging for heated gear and grips, no vibration to speak of.

Then, I built a WR450F and it's been a ball. I've gotten lazy and quit messing with the suspension so it's not really where I want it, but even with that said it's an absolute weapon on tight roads.

Going on 8000 mi. and zero problems. The valves haven't moved, electric start, oil changes every 600 miles is a pain. Valve checks every 1500 or so isn't as bad as it sounds as it's really easy to get to the valve cover. 100 watt alternator limits extra electrics. It vibrates (much) more than the 250. It might be the best shifting bike I've ever owned, but in could use a 6th gear.

Even with all the "negatives" I ride it much more than the 250. 3rd gear wheelies are a riot.

19. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Are there kits to increase the oil capacity on these conversion bikes to make the oil last longer?

20. YamRZ350

YamRZ350 Nicorette Dependent

If you search on thumpertalk, there's a couple threads. One guy added a tank, the other a oil cooler. I don't know how much either helped.

It's not a big job to change the oil and filter, 15 mins if you're really taking your time.