WTF!!! Who is hoarding the Old Bay Seasoning?

Discussion in 'General' started by R Acree, Jul 1, 2020.

1. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Well, we've offered...Mr. Acree's call.

2. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

@R Acree just toot da horn! Whatchu wanna do Geechee?

3. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Kind of makes you wonder why the Old Bay is sold out and Zatarians is still available. :D

Also too South Carolina was doing low country boils before the Louisiana Purchase. :Poke:

rd400racer and R Acree like this.
  4. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Practically???? I was born and raised in the white trash side of Annapolis........ain’t no practicality ‘bout it. Hell im busting my balls at my retirement home across the damn bay bridge, peeling the roof. I think I made a mistake buying this place. Eastern shore ain’t got no hills............I don’t like it......and I hate crabs,seafood and gawd damn sail boats!!!!!

5. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

What town are you from? I lived in Centreville for a decade or so. Glad to be on the western shore again.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
  6. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

I grew up in Rock Hall

7. notbostrom

Western shore has Baltimore, Eastern shore doesn't. End of discussion

joec and StaccatoFan like this.
  8. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

'cause Eastern shore got first pick?

9. notbostrom

Did a little digging, seems Old Bay is made in China now. Shortage explained

joec likes this.
  10. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

cite?

11. joec

joec brace yourself

Father lived on the farm across the street from the municipal airport just on the east end of the bridge for years. He worked as a cop on the bridge for at least 15. Always fun to ditch the tolls on the way to the beach using the service road. That was before they put the overpass in to cross 50 there. Then he moved to Greensboro then Goldsboro way out east. I spent a lot of time at that farm though.

12. notbostrom

McCormick, the maker of Old Bay Seasoning, French's mustard and Frank's Red Hot, has three plants in China, including one in the city of Wuhan in Hubei province, Kurzius said. The coronavirus originated in Wuhan late last year.

"All of our facilities are open. People are back at work. We're operating normally," he said.

13. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

You're confusing the story to read that it is ONLY made in China. Read deeper for the full details.

I found a financial site stating that McCormick has three factories in China and has shut them down due to COVID-19, but the stopped output from those factories only affects the China market (~10% of McCormik's sales). The CNBC article you cited has references to the article below.

https://www.foodbusinessnews.net/articles/15305-coronavirus-may-impact-mccormick-facilities-in-china

See pic attached. Perform comprehensive research. Don't be Karen (google search results)! :D

Attached Files:

motoracer1100 likes this.
  14. BrianC636

BrianC636 Well-Known Member

There’s a mustard and FRH plant behind my work in the middle of Missouri. That shit is full steam ahead still by the amount of train cars coming in and out of it.

15. notbostrom

Ok you explain where the hell all the old bay went? Leave your logic and Google skills out of this

Cannoli likes this.
  16. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

Funny, my wife said it's likely everyone is buying crabs and cooking them at home, thus a greater demand for Old Bay. Is this true? No idea, but certainly plausible. I know most restaurants in our area that sell crabs don't use Old Bay.

Pretty sure Costco has the big 64oz bottles. We were just there the other day.

17. britx303

I’m from Annapolis,born and raised........besides a few sketchy stints in Central America growing up, after my parents split up. I live in Calvert county now though........on the north end of it close to the AA line. The house I bought that I’m gutting is in Denton, across the bridge. I only bought because I could pay cash for it and take my time with it and not have to stress about mortgage on it. I really was planning on moving there when our youngest graduates HS in 3 years, then I could finish out my career with 18 years mortgage free. I do prefer the western shore too though

18. britx303

No shit. I Didn’t know you’re a fellow Meralinder

notbostrom likes this.
  19. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

Scallop season just opened up in the Northern areas .. :clap:

20. britx303

A couple years ago we were at the McCormick plant in cockeysville and an elevator killed a mechanic that was under it in the shaft. Never got the story on what happened exactly, but everyone had to promptly leave the facility. Very sad.