1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WTB FZR400 carbs

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by Billy B, Oct 6, 2023.

1. Billy B

Billy B Old N Slow

Posting in vintage since I'm sure this qualifies by now - I'm looking for a set of stock FZR400 carbs to rebuild. Thanks.

2. Billy B

Billy B Old N Slow

So I'm having trouble getting a mostly-stock 400 running right and I don't even know that the carbs are 400 carbs (history of the bike is unknown but its been gone through since I got it - fresh top end etc). The carbs seem correct (they measure 32mm and look like stock 400 carbs) but they have a vacuum pipe off 1 side that I'm not seeing in any other pics of 400 carbs - see attached pic. Its not a Clifornia bike based on the "3BF" on the engine case. The manual says they should have a "3BF-00" marking on the carbs but I can't find any marks on them anywhere. They're absolutely clean and have a Factory Pro jet kit (standard/baseline config) in them. Stock airbox with new Uni filter. Gravity feed fuel (no pump but fuel bottle is up a lot higher than carbs so I don't think a pump will matter but hooking that up is my next step I suppose) it'll start/idle fine on choke but as soon as I touch the throttle AT ALL it dies. Plugs (new) look lean. Checked float height, engine compression - both fine. A buddy had a slew of 400 parts but recently sold it all, I think to someone on this forum...

I was hoping to find a set of known 400 carbs to see if they make a difference, or open to other suggestions!

Attached Files:

3. Scott McKee

Scott McKee FZR crasher

They do look like 400 carbs but that vacuum line does not, unless they are from a grey market bike. My stock carbs are on the bike and still in the hauler at the moment so I can’t readily get to them to look at them. My stock bike is very temperature sensitive, if not warmed up enough on the choke, it will not take any throttle and will die. My suggestion is to touch base with Steve at SpeedWerks 302-672-7223, he’s seen probably every weird 400 part in the world.

fzrkidd likes this.
  4. fzrkidd

fzrkidd Well-Known Member

I agree with Scott they look like 400 carbs, and also agree with his check with Steve suggestion.

5. Billy B

Billy B Old N Slow

OK I'll try Steve - thanks for the help guys

6. fzrkidd

fzrkidd Well-Known Member

There is a 90 fzr400 for sale in the classifieds. The listing says he has an extra set of carbs ... maybe he would sell them separately?

7. macbook

macbook Well-Known Member

I Have a rebuilt set with all the right new parts, (now I'm going with rrsp carbs) but it has a FactoryPro jet kit meant for open carbs. Not used since refurb so not set up yet.