1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would you buy a V6 Turbo F-150?

Discussion in 'General' started by rd400racer, Sep 27, 2010.

1. theJrod

theJrod Well-Known Member

The caddy is lighter and more aerodynamic.... and not geared for towing.

2. theJrod

3.7L V6
    302 @ 6500
    276 @ 4000

3.5L V6 EcoBoost™
    365 @ 5000
    420 @ 2500

5.0L V8
    360 @ 5500
    380 @ 4250

6.2L V8
    411 @ 5500
    434 @ 4500

Probably been out for a while, but I just saw the numbers on all 4 engines... Notice where the ecoboost makes all its torque.

3. steven_george88

steven_george88 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I forget the numbers, but that ecoboost holds some serious torque for a long RPM range.

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

And again, I am talking about the Flex which is the vehicle with numbers listed, not the F150 for which there are no numbers yet.

5. steven_george88

steven_george88 Well-Known Member

The Flex (to me anyway) is surprisingly big in real life. It's basically minivan class, and those fuel economy #'s are about right for the class, but going against vehicles with far less muscle. Gearing and aerodynamics are way off what the Caddy is. And although the caddy makes a ton of power, very little is needed to meet the EPA traces that hwy fuel economy #'s require. Weight, drag coefficient, and driveline inefficiency and are big players in fuel economy, and compared to the Caddy the Flex will be at a disadvantage for all of them.

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

All of that is understood - but still a moot point. It is still ludicrous that an engine with that much power - no matter how aerodynamic it is or what it weighs or what the gearing is - makes barely less mpg than a supposedly fuel efficient minivan or whatever you want to call it.

7. SpeedyTide

SpeedyTide 'Bama's Bad Boy

And all mated to the 6 speed Auto transmission. The 3.5 EcoBoost with the torque and where it's made should tow impressively.

8. theJrod

Yup, and all my points still apply. Aerodynamics and weight play an important part in getting good mileage. As well, the caddy is geared pretty tall, whereas the flex is still designed to tow, albeit not as much as the F150.

9. Mud Whistle

Mud Whistle Get my icebike ON!

10. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

And the Taurus SHO.

11. Putter

Putter Ain't too proud to beg

12. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

No.

13. rabbit73

rabbit73 Scheiße

Really cool, but I don't believe it 100%. There's no way in hell Ford would risk the PR nightmare of that engine grenading and/or turning up a serious problem in a public teardown. I'd be willing to bet it's the same engine, but I bet it was also torn down several times during its life just to check up on it.

14. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Not at all surprising an engine may be that tough. All the supporting systems is where service calls will stem from. Any mention of how the electrical and emissions equipment faired?

15. Daekwan

Daekwan Ant Gobert's fav. rider..

I agree, but that still doesnt make it any less impressive. Its still pushing the numbers from day 1 a few hundred thousand miles later.

For anyone who was concerned about the turbo V6 in a F150.. this surely has to make you feel alot more confident in purchasing one. Which was pretty much the whole point. You'd have to feel like an azz for purchasing a 2011 w/ the big V8.. especially if gas jumps over $4 a gallon like its predicted to this year.

16. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Two questions:

1. How many people would have to keep that secret?

2. What would be the PR and sales ramifications if the secret got out?

17. cgordon3

cgordon3 I need a new bike...

According to FORD it was not:

After the dyno, engine 448AA, which had never been opened or inspected, was shipped to the Detroit auto show where, on Saturday, it was torn down for inspection in front of a live audience of more than a thousand Ford engine enthusiasts and their families.

18. HondaGalToo

HondaGalToo Well-Known Member

I agree. The Ecoboost has the same towing capacity as the big V8. I'd be interested if I were in the market. But, for now, I'll be keeping my '06 5.4L V8.

19. rabbit73

rabbit73 Scheiße

Not many and we're probably talking about exec techs in engine development, not a greasemonkey at the local dealership. These engines didn't make it to production stage without gobs and gobs of computer sumulations, metallurgial review, dyno time, etc.

Again, I don't doubt it was the same engine and that it's showing impressive durability, but my gut tells me they ran a lot of diagnostics along the way to make sure everything was kosher.

20. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Torn down [​IMG] diagnostics