Working in the garage.....

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by 50Joe, May 20, 2003.

1. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

Well, I had to reassemble my "A" motor from my weekend at TGPR last month. Work and vacation got in the way over the last few weeks. Anyway, I use brake cleaner on a rag to clean off the old case sealant. After about 10 minutes, I decided I really liked the smell and the fumes made me feel happy. Is this weird or just a normal racer thing? I did forget to bend the tab against the nut that holds on the clutch basket. Fortunately, I remembered that I hadn't done that so all I needed to remove was the pressure plate to get to it. I wonder if the fumes caused a short term memory loss? If so, I wonder if I can use this excuse with the wife when I need to :D ?

2. GrantMLS

GrantMLS Well-Known Member

brake cleaner :up:

3. YAM#849

YAM#849 y'all watch this...

I usually remove Yamabond with a rag dipped in acetone and ...
    what was the question...? :confused:

:D

4. WERA854

WERA854 Well-Known Member

True story!

What brand (or flavor :) ) was it? I've always been careful not to inhale the stuff, but last year I ran out of my regular & had to switch to Maxima at the track, and I thought it smelled great too...only problem was that bees love the stuff even more than we do!! After cleaning my wheels with the Maxima the bees followed my bike all over the paddock, flying into the wheel holes and generally making a nuisance of themselves (you know how unpleasant drunks seem when you're sober?). The track was the only place I could get away from them :D

Fortunately, they were so stoned they never attempted to sting anyone.

5. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

When I read that all I could see was that scene in Tommy boy where they get out of the car yelling

"BEES! BEES! SAVE YOURSELVES! THERE'S TO MANY OF THEM"

Thats funny. I guess I may have to watch that movie this week at VIR

6. WERA854

WERA854 Well-Known Member

Derek
    The 'other' tire guy at VIR that weekend didn't think it was all that funny when I dropped off my wheels, but I laf't my assoff when they evacuated the area to escape the bees...I knew they were harmless :D

7. Yamaha179

Yamaha179 Well-Known Member

Joe:
    Why don't you use a bellville washer behind the clutch nut then you don't have to worry about bending the tab. Besides, they are more substantial than those little lock tab washers.
    Lyn Garland

8. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

Lyn, pardon my ignorance but I don't know what one is :confused: . Sounds like it would be a better solution though.

9. YAM#849

It's a thick, slightly conical washer that's made to slightly deform when a nut is torqued down, helping to hold it in place.

10. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

Thanks Carl. Looks like I'll have to drag out my Machinery Handbook so I can look at one. I haven't opened that thing up in a few years. Thanks also to Lyn for the suggestion.

11. YAM#849

I used one on my RD250 for years. I was a little distrusting at first, but it never came loose. Another item of importance with clutch and countershaft nuts: make sure the threads are in good shape. A nut that is worn or has been over-torqued in the past can damage threads on the tranny shafts. This can lead to disaster. When in doubt, I replace the nut.

12. Yamaha Fan

Yamaha Fan Well-Known Member

I falied to fully tighten mine at the season opener at Jennings, led to NO clutch, it stayed on and did not slip but downshifting was NO fun.

As far as replacing the nut goes Carl, I know that could really improve my bike on the track, I am jsut not sure if your speaking of a nut IN the bike or ON the bike being replaced :D

13. YAM#849

Well, in vintage racing, I think it almost goes without saying that the one ON the bike IS worn and HAS been over-torqued at some point in the past. You just don't let yourself worry about that.;)

14. RZ Racer

RZ Racer It passed tech LAST time!

:beer: :beer: :beer: