1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

women in the military

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by ToddClark, Jan 4, 2014.

1. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

someone direct me to the threads where this was the heated discussion, please?

2. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

3. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

4. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

LOL. I just tried in full work gear which includes coveralls and steel toe work boots and was able to do 8. If an out of shape 47 year old can do that there is no excuse for an 18 - 22 year old to be in such piss poor shape they can not do the minimum of 3. I am kinda curious what the women that were in good enough shape to meet requirements think of this.

5. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I was going to get back in there after reading that article about female Marines but I was too lazy. Not so lazy that I can't do pullups though:)

6. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Hmmmmm.... I haven't tried a pullup in about 15 or 20 years and about 50 pounds. LOL But I bet I could still get three in if I damn well HAD to. 20 I'd'a had trouble with in my prime. I'm guessing it's a 2 minute limit? Didn't see where the article covered that aspect.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2014
  7. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

8. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

9. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Classic movie! :up:

10. jkhonea

jkhonea Back Again

Is it sad that I normally stop watching that movie after the boot camp part? It just seems like a letdown after that. :D

11. SVbadguy

SVbadguy I survived the Mt Course

No time limit. No kipping. Arms must be fully extended each time you go down. Chin must go over the bar. Doesn't matter whether you grip the bar with your palms facing you or away from you.

12. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

What? A pull-up is palms away from you. Palms facing you is a chin-up, and is quite a bit easier...

Neutral grip is easier still... I haven't been in a gym in 3 months and I could do 10 pull-ups without issue. Probably 15 chin-ups.

13. Jim Moore

Jim Moore Well-Known Member

I can tell you for damn sure that stopping to rest does not help.

14. lizard84

All evidence points to no...
    :tut:

15. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

Women aren't built the same as men, that's why they're required to do the flex arm hang, which I can't do. Women just weren't built to do pull-ups. I can take six months off from training and still do six or seven pull-ups and pass a Marine Corps PFT. Women can't afford that luxury if they're made to do pull-ups.

16. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

I have seen far too many women doing pullups in the gym to buy that. And to make sure I was not talking out my ass I went and tried the flexed arm hang. It is quite a bit easier than pullups. I hit 30 seconds and said good enough and like I stated earlier, I am far from being in peak physical condition.

These ladies made it through their training without a bunch of special concessions.
    http://news.yahoo.com/photos/women-in-the-us-marines-slideshow/

17. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

Okay you're right.

18. lizard84

My wife is nearly sixty and she can do pull-ups with ease, certainly many can't, but many women can.

19. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

That's awesome.

20. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

It will make my Sunday go alot faster if you get mad and argue...:D