wiring issues on a hawk

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Schump, Aug 30, 2004.

1. Schump

Schump Pimp w/a Slight Limp

I'm in the middle of building a new battery box out of aluminum for my hawk which has a alum. subframe and RC45 tailsection, and i'm having some wiring woes. (the rear tire wore through the factory battery box/r fender as it was hanging too low and i dind't put enough preload in the r shock.) the bike has been in storage in my parent's garage for a year and a half. i took it out, put a new battery in it, and it fired right up. the tail light still doesn't work altough the brakelight does (it doesn't stay on while riding, only when you hit the brakes does the big filament light up) i'm not getting any voltage from the positive lead for the tail light (it's the brown wire, right? i have the green wire and the green w/ yellow stripe plugged into the tail light/brake light and it works as a brake light fine) also, the instrument lights quit working (don't know if it was at the same time as the tail light) the wires to the instrument lights are brown w/ white stripe and green. i'm not missing any secret fuses anywhere, am I? also, it wouldn't be the diode that's plugged into the harness in the ass end of the bike, is it? i also found a 3 wire connector that comes out of the harness on the right side near where the fuel pump pigtail comes out. this 3 wire connector is clear or yellowish and female and the slots are very small. two of them are switched power, one is a ground, i'm assuming. (if i can't get the real brake light lead to work, i'll run the tail light off this, i guess.) right now i'm like :rolleyes: :mad: especially since i forgot to bring the manual with me to school. thanks for the help, and i'll see you at VIR for the AMA race.
    :beer: Dave

2. Yama-saurus

Yama-saurus Well-Known Member

gotta call in matt blashfield...the hawk hero:beer:

3. Schump

Matt's #?

Does anyone have Matt Blashfield's phone number? I went to his website but he's changing the oil and it's not up and running right now.
    thanks,
    Dave

4. Mblashfield

Mblashfield Well-Known Member

would it help if i sent you a copy of the factory wiring diagram?

5. Schump

wiring diagram and good oil?

Yes Matt, that'd be great. can you email it to me? (i want to ride my hawk from virginia tech to VIR this friday to watch/help my friend race his cobra, so snail mail might take too long. if you want to fax it, i'll get you my landlord's fax # by tonight if that's easier. does the hawk have any kind of a fuse box? (can't remember what's in the headlight assembly except a bunch of wires, i'll find out in a couple of hours when i get home from class.) also, what kind of oil do you reccomend? can I use Amsoil? (i can get it for $50/case of 12 from the guy who used to own my toyota truck, but i know that newer bikes with kevlar/etc. clutches don't like traditional car motor oil because it messes up the clutch friction plates.) i figure it's time to change it as it's been a year and a half. it's been sitting the entire time, but i've always heard you should change your oil once a year regradless of mileage. r u going to the superbike race at VIR?
    thanks for the help,
    Dave :beer:

6. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

info

check the bulb first thing.. the hawks are bad about blowing bulbs so trouble shoot that first.. ;) I did this a few times (played with everything else then figured out that one filiment in the bulb was bad.. :)

as for fuses- theres' one on the battery as well as a group under the headlight. Look for the small box that's bolted on just below the headlight.

other than that, I used to run rotella diesel oil in my hawks. sythetic if you want, standard if you don't. it's at Walmart. I ran all sorts of other stuff but for most street use just did the Rotella stuff. racing I used Motul or redline.

hope that helps..

also if you want more info about hawks here's some good info and links:

http://www.hawkworks.net/

not to be confused with the source of all hawk stuff.. www.hawkgt.com

good luck!

Jeff