1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

winter travel advice

Discussion in 'General' started by RazzelldazelS, Dec 15, 2014.

1. RazzelldazelS

RazzelldazelS Well-Known Member

Hello beebers, I need some advice for anyone that is familiar with traveling western states this time of the year. I am flying down to Houston the day after Christmas to meet up with my oldest son and his wife and my 2 yo grandson. He has accepted a job offer back in Seattle. We need to make the trip back up north and get us all back safe and sound. Can anyone tell me any places to stay away from this time of the year as far as any known sketchy roads for winter travel?
    The first route that google maps showed me is going to be Houston I45/ Fort worth 287/ Amarillo 385/87/I25 to Pueblo I25/ to DenverI25 to Laramie 287. Then onto I80 @ Laramie all the way through Wy. To Salt Lake.
    Then another route it gives is more direct looking, traveling north-west diagonally thru New Mexico and Ut. Is there any reason to stay away from this one?
    From that point on I am familiar enough with the roads to know what to expect. My plan is to have at least one alt. route in case I need to go around any really bad weather.
    Any suggestions or advice would really be appreciated. We have all week to make this trip, but I hope to be back in Washington by new year’s eve. The car is a 2009 Chevy Cobalt. It will have new tires all the way around, but beyond that I don’t know how well he has kept it up. His track record for such things is not the best.
    Thank you. RS

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

My first instinct is to say look at the weather. If there are storms then take I-10 to Cali and up the coast :D

Seriously though, there are definitely times they'll totally close I-40 and I'm sure more than once a year I-80. I know a number of people who have been stuck at Little America because the interstate was shut down going over the mountains to SLC.

3. misterwaterfall

misterwaterfall squid status commence

I would also head west then up. Worse case scenario you can also take 101 which is usually free of snow if Shasta is getting blasted. I've made the trip from CA to Seattle quite a few times and it's an easy albeit boring drive.

4. RazzelldazelS

The I-10 and I-5 is def.one of my back up plans. It says it ads about 6+ hours of travel time. I could easily lose that sitting waiting for a road to open back up though.
    thanks Mongo!

5. ton

ton Arf!

watch the weather.

when my girlfriend moved up from Houston (leaving precisely 1 year ago, actually), she ended up coming the diagonal route through southern Utah that you're seeing. there are essentially no mountain passes on that route, but there's a bit more "slower" road.

I-80 through WY can be very dangerous this time of year. if the weather looks sketchy, avoid it. serious wind/blowing snow/ice issues. also, avoid I-70 through CO. too many big passes if the weather looks snowy.

edit: come to think of it, with that big of a drive, i'd prolly stay south into CA and then roll north. too much can go wrong even from Utah west. Donner Pass being the main issue (don't go into snow country in CA without chains or AWD, you'll be turned around if there's snow on the passes). Though, you might get away with SLC through Boise and eastern OR...

Last edited: Dec 15, 2014
  6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You cold lose days.

7. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

25 Colorado to Laramie, and I 80 from Laramie to the Utah border is not the place to be in the winter. snow squalls from the mountains, super high winds, ice, you name it, it is nasty, in that region. also if you do go 80, don't try to short cut to WA, up to Jackson hole Wyoming, if you have a trailer, you cant get across Teton pass in the winter with ANY trailer. they are not allowed. beautiful country year round but, wintertime travel is sketchy at best. Ski

8. RazzelldazelS

After not much consideration and taking heed of what you good folks have mentioned, We will be doing the west route to CA. and up I-5. I do not need any drama to end my year.
    Thank you for the reply's. You guys are awesome!

9. gixer1100

gixer1100 CEREAL KILLER

A friend of mine is tossing around the idea of driving dec26 from LA to Nova Scotia. I told him he's crazy. Oh and of course he would also have to drive back A week later for work. Good luck on your trip, pay attention to the weather and be flexible.

10. Stirz

Stirz Makes my butt look big

Both routes are OK - but as said, weather is key. I-80 is frequently shut down west of Laramie when storms come through. The NM route is shorter (Gallup, Cortez, Moab, SLC) and would be my preferred route this time of year - but again, Soldier Summit near Price, UT can get ugly during/after a storm.

11. svtinker

svtinker Well-Known Member

I'd do anything not to travel the 5. The route through Moab is georgeous. The roads are clear now. The ten day forecast always works for me.

12. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

I have venture in the NW some, both on a bike and on my cruck (Honda Ridgeline). I say, be prepared. Know the weather. Know your skills and your vehicle. Pack survival gear/food. You may never know when you will find a road closure or mountain pass blocked. Have enough money in the budget to find a room for a week, or gas to drive you around. :)

13. RazzelldazelS

I’m thinking a revised plan will be to go up thru Cali. on I-5 ONLY if I have any reservations based on the 3-4 day forecast. I really don’t want to go that way and would prefer to go the more scenic path, but not to sacrifice safety. Not that driving with them crazy Californians is any safer than snow! But at least I can do battle with them on my own terms. I will lose if I try to do battle with the big M nature!:D

14. racergary

racergary Well-Known Member

As several have said,depends on the weather,taking the 5 north out of LA can also be closed due to snow.

Have a couple of routes planned and let the weather make your choice.

15. RazzelldazelS

yea, a couple of routes makes the most sense. The thought of being in the middle of nowhere during a blizzard scares crap outta me. But if the sky's and roads are clear and it doesn't look like any weather is moving in I will go for it.