1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will it run???

Discussion in 'Tech' started by HOLLYWOODPETE, Jul 12, 2010.

1. HOLLYWOODPETE

HOLLYWOODPETE Well-Known Member

Hello everyone,

my friend's kawi zx14 has been siting for over a year with out being started. It has all fluids in it, don't know about gas though. Say's it was a new battery when he stored it(will it hold a charge if we charge it). Besides changing the oil and charging the battery what else might i have to do to get it running?

Thanks in advance

2. mig1289

mig1289 Well-Known Member

turn the key and start it?

3. slower than u

slower than u Well-Known Member

Id see if t he fuel is bad, but, it really wont make much of a difference - gotta love FI !

4. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I might throw some seafoam in the old gas but it should fire!

5. Eric_77

Eric_77 Well-Known Member

A year is not super long but depending on the envirnment you may consider taking case cover off, spraying PJ1 or similar spray lubricant into spark plug holes, and manually turn it over couple times.

6. jdwilliamson33

jdwilliamson33 Well-Known Member

I bought a bike that sat for three years with out being started. I put a new battery in in and it started right up. no problem, should not be a problem.

7. Tunersricebowl

Tunersricebowl Fog, onward through.

I'll pass on the three year old gas/no problem riff, but I gots to say that old fuel turns to varnish (to one degree or another) and if/when enough varnish is introduced into the combustion chamber and burned along with new (OR old) fuel, it can and WILL stick valves in their guides (which causes the pistons to bend them), stick rings in the piston groves (which causes a "smoker") and generaly can gum up the works...
    A question: how hard is it to do a "sniff test" of the fuel tank/fuel supply?
    How hard would it be to drain/flush the tank/add top end lube?
    How hard is it to rebuild/replace an otherwise undamaged engine?

8. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Might be ok, seems gas deteriorates faster in warmer climates however. We leave our bikes shacked up for 6 months during winter, i dont even charge my battery, the bike pretty much goes into hibernation with the climate really.

9. vince69007

vince69007 CRASH277

drain the fuel. i stabilize all my stuff when it sits, and the only thing that runs the old gas is my 40yr old lawn tractor. save the hassle for 10$ worth of gas. and drain that old shit out.

10. afm199

afm199 Well-Known Member

vince is correct, drain and replace the fuel.

11. HOLLYWOODPETE

HOLLYWOODPETE Well-Known Member

Thanks guys, i appreciate all the input and will use it wisely.