1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why no CBR600's on the grids?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by aprilia777usa@y, Sep 24, 2009.

1. b_rymer

b_rymer Well-Known Member

sorry.....i knew you couldnt raise the rear...im still running stock stuff and was kinda fishin for a good setup. dont have the funds yet for the good stuff.

2. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

I have to get my stuff to T-man this winter to get re-freshed and hopefully some good set up data :)

3. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

Hondas seem to have gotten themselves in a vicious circle of obscurity. Meaning, people don't like to race them because of the lack of used parts, and new parts are expensive, but no one has any cool used parts because of the lack of people racing them! Someone's gotta break the chain.

4. b_rymer

+1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:up:

5. bEeR

bEeR Hookers & Blow

I'm running an 06 and although it's not as easy to find parts as a Gixxer or a Yami, I still don't think that it's too bad. You just have to be patient.

6. parapuke

parapuke Well-Known Member

I ran a 07 600RR last year. It was a good bike and fun to ride. I won some Honda Contingency money with CCS, but it was a nightmare to get the money. I swore then, I wouldn't race another one.

7. got40

got40 On hiatus...

All the suspension in the world ain't gonna help your slow ass.:Poke:

8. superbikestore

superbikestore Well-Known Member

you could get a similar result by raising the forks in the triples about 3 or 4mm more, but you will be lowering the bike, so toe scraping and peg clearance could be an issue. My cheap ass buddy did the same thing because he wont spend the money for the rear shock and seemed to like the results.

9. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

The effect isn't the same. Raising the front rakes it out where as raising the front steepens the rake. Along with other things makes itnot thesame

10. superbikestore

I somewhat disagree. The affect may not be exactly the same, because you don't wont get the added trail, but it is going in the same direction in steepening the rake. Your missing the part about raising the rear up more than the front. You have to take it in context with the guy I was responding too saying he couldnt' afford to by an adjustable shock.

Raising rear on this bike from 296mm stock eye to eye rear shock length to 301mm =5mm in rear shock length, or about 10mm in ride height at the rear axle, you also raise the front of the bike by dropping the front forks in the clamps 5mm. So the end all affect is that you've raised the rear 5mm more than the front.

If you don't have the money for a height adjustable shock, you can acheive a similar affect in rake by just dropping the front of the bike 5mm. the problem will be that the ride height overall will be lower, thus, the trail will be a very small amount less. But as far as steering, it will produce a similar result given you don't run into clearance problems or headshake from too little trail. This is why I suggested only raising the forks in the clamps 3 or 4mm instead of 5.

11. Dr. GoFast

Dr. GoFast Well-Known Member

^^ this is true, but the one thing missing in this discussion is that by doing the "cheap" method you don't get the higher center of gravity, you actually lower the center of gravity. this is in addition to the negative effect in ground clearance. bottomline- it's much better to raise the whole bike up so you can cut into the corner with more authority.

12. superbikestore

^^ I wasn't suggesting that it wasn't ideal to raise the whole bike. That is the best solution.

13. vito2279

vito2279 Well-Known Member

I CAN"T WAIT to race your ass next year bro!!!!!!!! I just hope that we dont accidentally take each other out:crackup:

14. b_rymer

Thanks man....that was the info i was wantin to know about.

15. TrackStar

TrackStar www.trackstar1.com

You cant shim the shock like we do on the GSXR's?

16. Dr. GoFast

Dr. GoFast Well-Known Member

^^ no, you can't. the only way to raise the stock shock is to machine a longer clevis. that of course requires taking the whole shock apart...

17. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

What is also missing is the change to the swing arm angle that happens when you raise the rear shock.

18. aprilia777usa@y

aprilia777usa@y Well-Known Member

If I'm finishing ahead of you no, if I'm finishing behind you no. :)

19. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Yes I think we can all agree that this is fairly obvious. However even with Kawi paying $2k a win up here, that hasn't automatically put 5 bikes on the grid in every Kawi paying event. There are other factors at play - all mentioned here so far.

20. f4idrew

f4idrew #800

I finished 3rd in the C SB EX Class on my 05 RR. Suspension wise its got ohlins 20 mil valves and penske triple.Has a mild SS motor. Bike rails but is a bit down on power even to stock R6's.

Overall I love my Honda and dont want to get rid of it. Best handling bike ive ever ridden.