1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who likes rental cars?

Discussion in 'General' started by dave_432, Feb 20, 2001.

1. dave_432

dave_432 Well-Known Member

2. Tracee Polcin

Tracee Polcin Pic by IYF Photo

Easily repeated with the car jacked up.

3. dave_432

What the hell fun is it if the car is on a jack?

4. thiam1

thiam1 Guest

I know this place behind LAX airport where you can rent Vipers, NSXs, Ferrari 355s, and Lamborghini Diablos (and boring stuff like Jags, Mercs & stuff). Those are the kinds of rentals I wouldn't mind trashing around a bit. Or drive to Mexico and never come back...

5. Tracee Polcin

The pics are too clear, I believe this was staged.

6. aip

aip Well-Known Member

Favorite Rental Car Story

Last year at the GNF one of our teammates had a rental car and he loaned it to us on Saturday. [​IMG]

I leave out the story to protect my innocence.

The next morning he had to be at the airport at 6:30am. Well about 10:30am he called me waking me up from a very peaceful nap. It appears he nearly missed his plane because he could not go over 40mph on the highway because "the F'ng the vibrated so bad." It appears the tires were ?????Flat Spotted? I told him I didn't understand how that could have happened and went back to sleep.

7. dave_432

Tracee - you don't get out much, do you?

I'll try and find some fuzzier pic's for you, or some with the road and traffic through the windshield.

Have some video too, but I don't know how to convert that to an mpeg to put anywhere.

8. Tracee Polcin

Don't send video.Did you hear about the guy who taped his speeding exploits and was selling the tape. It seems the authorities bought a copy and promptly arrested him. [​IMG]

[This message has been edited by Tracee Polcin (edited 02-20-2001).]

9. SpEd

SpEd poor impulse control

My favorite is still the 2000 Lincoln Town car I got last time I went to corporate in San Jose. There is nothing liek watching the face of the rental person as some nut drives off listening to punk rock as loud as the stereo will go while squealing the tires out of the parking lot. By the way those things will chirp the tires in third gear if you hit the gas hard enough. It went back with no dents. Thats my story and I'm sticking to it.

10. SpEdette

SpEdette Zombie

*sigh* I can't wait til I'm old enough to rent a car... I aspire to be just like all of you. [​IMG]

11. jguyer

jguyer Well-Known Member

I found out (from a friend....) that the rev limiter on the new Taurus comes in at around 6500 while in gear, but comes in at around 4500 when in neutral. Hmmm... Pretty smart! It also likes to wheelhop when taking off from a light.... Man, I would never buy an ex-rental.

[This message has been edited by jguyer (edited 02-20-2001).]

12. julrich

julrich Well-Known Member

No externally visible damage. That's the rule.

13. thiam1

thiam1 Guest

Oh my god, Tom is dating a child!!! [​IMG]

14. brian

brian Well-Known Member

why pay more when you can get it for thousands less at budget. [​IMG] only driven on weekends. thats what the salesman said about the last race bike i was trying to sell. the odometer only showed 1200 miles and it was 2 years old. what a bargain! [​IMG]

15. dave_432

Most of the cars are set up like that now. And some Chevy's and Buick's are set up so that even though you keep it in 1st gear and lay on the gas, it'll shift into second gear automatically - instead of bouncing off the rev limiter until you change it to 2nd gear.

16. FZR913

FZR913 Active Member

and this is why I drive our bikes and equipment to the track and not dave_432.

17. julrich

julrich Well-Known Member

I love the sound of a rev-limiter in the morning...

18. Wera#124

Wera#124 Well-Known Member

Oooh....the Rental Cars...

SHOW NO MERCY !! [​IMG]

(you can also rent some pretty cool cars in Germany...can you say autobahn.. [​IMG])

19. dave_432

Wanted to get one while in gear, but didn't want to hold the laptop out the window to get the sound. Hope this helps your morning.

http://members.nbci.com/_XMCM/dave432/rentalcars/neutral1.wav

[This message has been edited by dave_432 (edited 02-20-2001).]

20. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

i have a rental for work right now. rentals are great. they can go more places than a 4wd. kewl