Which GPS all knowing BBS???

Discussion in 'General' started by nikponcherello, Nov 2, 2007.

1. Even Keel

Even Keel Banned

Garmin Nuvi 350 for me too.:up:

I take mine on the plane and turn it on. Pretty cool. Try it sometime.

2. MX121

MX121 Well-Known Member

garmin nuvi 350. I never leave home without it.

3. flypigs

flypigs Cold turkey since 2003

If you're looking for a machine that can do it all: handheld and dashmounted, the 60csx is the best right now. It has a color screen, will run over 15 hours on 2 aa batteries (or use cig adapter), gives street routing (once you pay for the maps), but only beeps prior to a turn.. you need to read to see what direction and what street name.

All the dash mounts do a better job while in a car, and the ones that give voice prompts including the street name are pretty great.

I use my 60 about equally btwn car use, hiking, and in my pouch when dirt bike riding. It's pretty cool to see your tracks on google earth when your back.

Pete

4. jb_11

jb_11 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Nov 2, 2007
  5. nikponcherello

nikponcherello EX #688

So I looked at a Garmin Nuvi 350 tonight but didn't know much about it.

Can I create my own breadcrumb trails with this thing? Or put in my position with coordinates?
    I'm thinking that I would want to try to use this in China and I'm told that (because of the communism or something) that China maps are impossible to find. So I'm wondering if the better GPS's with navigation features can also do what the very cheap/simple models do where you can just try to find your own way, plot your own courses, and put in or read out your coordinates and basically create your own map by using what you've travelled to. Or do the better systems like the Nuvi rely on the maps to much to do the basic stuff for where no maps exist? Anyone try this?

6. jigmoore

jigmoore Banned

i'm pretty sure the nuvi depends on maps....so you can't 'create a trail'

7. nikponcherello

nikponcherello EX #688

that sux. I need to find a model that does both.

8. jigmoore

jigmoore Banned

try nautical/camping geared gps units.

9. Robert

Robert Flies all green 'n buzzin

The handheld 60Cx with a larger sd card is probably your best choice right now. It doesn't announce turns (which IMO is the killer feature while in the car) but it does do autorouting.

If you're lost in China without any sort of map the GPS coordinates will just be meaningless numbers. The track points (aka breadcrumbs) will tell you where you just were but nothing about where you want to go.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

But you can follow them back and create your own maps.

I've got a Garmin GPSMap478 - it does all of the tracking, voice prompts, has all the US maps loaded at all times and is waterproof. But it wasn't cheap. Worth it tho.

11. Even Keel

Even Keel Banned

What's cheap or not cheap?

12. nikponcherello

nikponcherello EX #688

I think that's exactly what I want to do. Plus, if I'm buying one, the street capability would be good too for the U.S. but I'm a cheap-o and didn't want to pay for all of the nautical features. Need to keep looking...

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Not cheap was close to a grand.

14. The one I have for my laptop you can plan your trip using different routes. You just put a pinpoint there and name is and add it to your route and it will tell you the difference in time and mileage. I use this often to find the best ways to get to customers plants. I have the option that I can click on to find the nearest or shortest route, or fastest, or the use of highways or state roads...but it don't always use the routes that I want so sometimes I modify them. If I find another route it continues to track me and I can then save that trail so I can use that route going back.

15. goodmatt78

goodmatt78 Well-Known Member

I did this research about 2 months ago. Look at the Garmin Nuvi 260. It is new and has the text to speech (IMO is a must).

Also, if you look at Garmin...the shape of the Nuvi's is must nicer than their other model and it doesn't have the flip up antenna which looks fragile.

16. jigmoore

jigmoore Banned

my nuvi 350 has a flip up antenna....a flat 1" x 1" piece that folds out of the back.

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Another reason I like mine, it has the flip up antenna - but it's on with a BNC connector so if I ever needed to I could get an external one. For that matter it'll also act as an XM receiver :D

18. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

I have a Garmin 276C. it was designed as a marine unit so it's waterproof, has the trackback feature, etc.

I would guess that they are closer to $750 these days with the maps and memory cards you need but it's a great unit. I've had mine for about 3 years now and use it pretty much every day. i've used it in Europe and north america with their maps, and in Costa Rica with no maps. I could drive somewhere and then follow the "breadcrumbs" back to my hotel or wherever. it was pretty cool till I got on some one way streets. ;)

go for a Garmin IMHO. their maps are great. units are easy to learn to use. the Nuvi's are great units as well. or the 550 for motorcycles. One other thing I like about my 276C is that it works on batteries, so on the bike I just run on batteries (it'll go 12+ hours on low backlight) or if I'm hiking or want to look at it when I go in somewhere for lunch. also the screen is as bright as they come so you can easily view it in direct sunlight.

my $.02

19. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

New Garmin's

Information is leaking out on some new Garmin GPS units which look to replace the 76/60 series. Just FYI.

Garmin Colorado

20. nikponcherello

nikponcherello EX #688

I got the GPSMap60csx.
    Love it. It's perfect for what I need. I've made a bunch of my own maps. And since roads usually only go in one of 2 directions it's hard to not take the right place. Lakes and mountains are pretty easy to find and get around. Especially with this:
    http://www.flashearth.com/
    which is about the coolest tool ever for the stuff I've used my GPS for so far. I don't have a huge need for the altimeter, but the compass that doesn't require motion is really cool on this model. Thanks for all of the advice.