Where have all the bikes gone!

Discussion in 'General' started by Thumper, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Thumper

Thumper Saved by Grace

We used to be able to find a track bike here for less than $2000 just about any day. The WERA classifieds are not any where near the wealth of bikes and variety of what we used to have. I haven't even seen the "Clubman Legal?" post in a while. Where have all the cheap bikes gone? The classifieds don't have a bike under $3K. I got a '97 GSXR600 back in 2003 for $1800 track ready. It is not just on the WERA board either. E-bay hasn't been much help either. A '99 R6 shouldn't be $3500 but most are that or more. If the economy is in the crapper, why isn't more people desperate to get bikes sold. I just sold my GSXR 750 so I have $2500 for an R6 but can't find one for that price anywhere. This wouldn't be such a problem if I were a patient person. I guess I just can't stand being without a race bike. I feel naked!! Anyone know good site for track bike classifieds?

2. sbhockey

sbhockey Orange shirt #157

3. kanatuna

kanatuna You can't polish a turd..

All of the above is absolutely true....can't say much more than that.

4. rabbit73

rabbit73 Scheiße

When I moved to the left coast my jaw dropped at the price difference. I was looking for the same prepped SV I had seen all day long fo $2500 on the East Coast. Out here they were tough to come by and cost over 4. Maybe it was more timing than location.

A 5yo R1 will still get 5 figures. WTF?!

5. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

Isnt much of anything anywheres for good low costs used vehicles. Either they are snatched up quick (and alot of times dealers will snag them) or people just arent selling. Some of the ones being sold are askign an insane price anyways.

6. some guy #2

some guy #2 Well-Known Member

I have been searching CL and ebay for cheap cheap deals and there is nothing relatively modern (FI and post 2000) that goes for under 3k. I seem to remember used bikes in general being cheap. This is seriously hurting my search for a street bike.

7. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

Inflation.

I guess I'll get more for my street 954 when I decide to unload it. :up:

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Sucks when all the stolen stuff isn't showing huh?

Also - it's a bad time of year to be buying cheap bikes, people aren't selling right now since they're making plans to hit the track. Factor in fuel costs going up and used bikes aren't cheap right now. Nothing to do with where you're looking and all to do with the market itself. But hey, blame it on the classifieds, that's gotta be it.

9. Duck150

Duck150 Well-Known Member

Everybody is thinking.....when I get old I'll need a vintage bike...........................

10. cobra2497

cobra2497 Well-Known Member

The used bike market has went up. I blame it on the fact that you can't get a new 600 for under 10k now and 1000 are costing 13k+. Not complaining just stating why I think the used market is a lot higher now.

11. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I remember buying $200 ~ $500 cars and driving them for a few months and then buying another. Where have all the $500 cars gone!?!?

12. DWhyte91

DWhyte91 Well-Known Member

A lot of people can't afford to upgrade either.

13. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

Dude, get a clue. WERA changed the classifieds so all the cheap cars are gone. We're out of turkey for sandwiches at home, I'm blaming the classifieds for that, too.

14. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Those damn classifieds!!!! I say we lynch them mothertruckers!!!

15. RoadRacerX

RoadRacerX Jesus Freak

They are now "planters" in Dits' backyard. :D

16. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

Primarily, the general public didn't have access to salvage bikes as easily as they do now. If you go to the auctions, the sheer number of people representing shops rebuilding the salvage bikes is huge. Not to mention the ability now to buy salvage bikes online. 1 year old salvage bikes are catching nearly retail prices at the auctions. With the availability of parts on ebay, I can turn a salvage bike to new very quickly. Most guys don;t even care any more.

Loans are also more difficult to get. Remember in early 2000 Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki all had financing programs (Suzuki Card) that the 18y/o flatbiller could walk out the door with almost 0 down. Now you get scrutiny over a 700 credit score.

The other factor is that the bikes are more expensive now. Inflation is one thing, but inflation alone hasn't driven the cost of a new 600 to double. Out the door, you could buy a new 600 for $6K from a good dealer. There's just not as many new bikes being sold. That drives the cost of the used bike market up.

17. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

Have you tried to find used rope lately?

:crackup:

18. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

C'mon Dave that was when gas was 23 cents a gallon.:crackup:

19. twinn-burner

twinn-burner Well-Known Member

yeah the market has "dried" up...i don't see many on ebay either.

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Damnit. The classifieds have spread their evil all over the net :(