1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When Drilling goes wrong

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Gorilla George, Apr 22, 2010.

1. TrackStar

TrackStar www.trackstar1.com

LOL... you should call them and let them know it's not their fault so they quit spending all their money trying to stop the leak they had nothing to do with. BP drilled the hole, the hole is spewing oil and BP is spewing money to fix it. Seems like they have accepted fault.

If BP had nothing to do with it then who's fault is it?

2. Just Bob

Just Bob Well-Known Member

I like the statement by the expert, Mr. Patzek, chairman of the Petroleum and Geosystems Engineering Department at the University of Texas, Austin,“It’s a very complex operation in which the human element has not been aligned with the complexity of the system"

I love it when well educated people find new ways to say FUBAR.

Thought he was talking about last year's AMA racing.

3. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

The media.:up:

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Sad but true, they're doing their job as entertainment shows for their sponsors. It's just too bad they're no longer journalists.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Never said they weren't taking responsibility or accepting ultimate responsibility, but they as a company and their people were not running the multiple systems that failed to allow this to happen.

6. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

Transocean...

7. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

I wasn't out there but from my 25 years of experience, this article has a few statements taken out of context and is written to sale newspapers. I didn't read the full article but here is one example.

Test the BOP at a lower pressure??? Lower than what? Which pressure should of been used or applied topside, the BOP's rated design pressure, bottom hole pressure, or expected wellhead shut-in pressure? Every two weeks the MMS requires a BOP test. The test pressure is agreed before drilling starts making hole. They are usually conducted with the full expected wellhead shut-in pressure and a test set-up has to be inplace, the lower packer ram which seals against the drill pipe is tested against a test tool. If the rig is in a critical dirilling opeation then they have to stop, trip out the drill string, run in hole the test tool, test, trip out the test tool, and then resume drilling. It's very common practice conduct the BOP test at the pressure available at that operation and keep making hole. They submit a change or concession request and it's blessed by MMS.

Arguments between the two lead people. I've seen grown men as big as Mongo exits meetings crying like a little girl. I've been on a few calls to the rig during equipment failure in which I was the design engineer. We call these rig-down situations and you are expected to work until the issue is solved. You catch sleep when you can in between operations. It's a business based on tradition, right or wrong, it's not the military but you know your place in the pecking order or you will shortly. Just my speculation, if the company man was new and could of been trying to establish rank. This happens everyday and is common with people with no experience. This is not good, as it could slow others from doing their job.

David

Last edited: Jun 6, 2010
  8. My thoughts exactly.

9. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

More BS sensationalism to enrage the sheeple and sell newspapers.

Like the tool push can say "hey guys, lets only test to 1500PSI today....."

10. used2Bfast

used2Bfast Still healing

We're waiting for the influx of all the millions of tourists that usually go to the beach..to now come and clog up the mtns.

11. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

I liked that also. In the end, the man was simply using tact. He was telling the oil industry that they screwed up but they felt pleased with the message.:up::)

12. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

Good information. Thanks

I halfway suspected as much since most "armchair experts" tend to only comment on things in a way that achieves their goal.

I've suggested that Chris contact the media with some actual facts on this issue so I'll add you to that also. You guys might very well do the American public a lot of good if you can get the media to straighten themselves out. Suggest to them how much good it'll do for their credibility to not continue to be caught up in inaccurate news stories. :up:

13. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

I'm wondering if tourism to the coastal area will remain close to normal because of people going down there just out of curiosity. It might be a once in a lifetime event for a lot of people that would find an oil soaked beach interesting. They can go to the mountains next year. :up:

14. tz_eric

tz_eric Well-Known Member

I agree completely. Thanks, guys, especially Chris. I feel like I know infinitely more about the real situation out there than anybody else I'm talking to. My only source of information they don't have is right here.:up:

I disagree. Unless you have the rare and special genetic gift of being telegenic, by the time your image is run through the Cuisinart of the media you'll look like idiots.

15. Just Bob

Just Bob Well-Known Member

:D

16. jkhonea

jkhonea Back Again

I'm afraid I agree with TZ on this one. The media, in this case, definitely does NOT like the truth because it would derail all of the crap they've been handing out up until now. If they put the truth out at this point, there would be a huge amount of backtracking and they sure as hell aren't going to admit their mistakes.

17. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

LOL, yeah, that's why when I first mentioned it to Chris I suggested that it might not be a good idea. There are so many loud mouth "experts" that already have the ear of the media they could muddy the water and make a serious person with actual facts look questionable. Maybe it's better to let all the "experts" have their 15 minutes of fame. Too bad since I'll bet that most people would really like to know actual facts. (Providing they actually recognized them when they saw, or heard, them.)

18. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

Yeah, "the Cuisinart of the media" is an accurate term since the media is known for "cooking" their information before launching it on the air. :)

19. :beer:

20. brand-o

brand-o Well-Known Member