1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wheel width recommedations for 750

Discussion in 'Tech' started by JCW, Feb 1, 2019.

1. JCW

JCW Well-Known Member

I'm looking at purchasing a set of the core moto wheels for a 2011 750 suzuki. They are offered in 5.5 and 6.0 widths.
    Seems with the 180/60 tires around, the need to go 6.0" is less.
    But I was looking for opinions and recommendations one way or the other.
    Bike and rider are simple trackday heroes (no class rules to follow other than passing tech). Usual suspension mods, geometry changes, stock motor, flashed ecu. Nothing special...

2. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

5.5 so you can sell it to sv guys later :)

track wagon, jasonhise and TurboBlew like this.
  3. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

180/60 on a 5.50 rim:D
    200/55, 200/60, & 200/65 on a 6.00 rim :DFYI the 190/60 rain works on the 5.50 or 6.00 wheel

4. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

They come OEM with 5.5 so I'd stick with it. Unless you're running SBK levels of HP why add weight (both rim and tire), unsprung reciprocating weight at that which is the worse kind from a handling perspective, to the bike.

As you said, for a simple trackday bike why complicate matters. I just started using Dunlop's 180/60 rear slick this past season (yes I know Pirelli has been using that size for several already) on my 600 with a 5.5 rim and its excellent.

JCW and badmoon692008 like this.
  5. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

I'm trying to figure out why OP is buying a set of wheels and not just using the OEM wheels?

And fyi a Pirelli 180/60 is 190 mm wide.

track wagon and badmoon692008 like this.
  6. JCW

JCW Well-Known Member

I get it...
    but, I wouldn't turn down a bike identical to another with 5-10 pounds less rotating mass either...

You would?

Light bikes excite me. I even seriously considered the SXV superbikeunlimited is selling. But this was much cheaper... (Not the same, I know...)

7. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

OP is a trackday guy so what's the point?

8. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I don’t think you’ll be shedding 5-10 lbs, OEM wheels aren’t that heavy these days...maybe 2-3 lbs savings.

9. JCW

JCW Well-Known Member

I guess the point is less effort, increased responsiveness, better braking. You know all the benefits of a lighter bike.

Like I said, i get it. Return on your $$$ is better spent or not spent elsewhere.

10. JCW

JCW Well-Known Member

If 2-3 pounds, I wouldn't bother...

11. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

I'd stick with 5.5". I run 180/60's on my '12 GSXR 600 and 07 750.

12. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

It’s not worth it. Just run the OEM wheels.

13. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

And yep that was my whole point

14. JCW

JCW Well-Known Member

OK.

Guess the race generator is out of the question... lol

Just wondering if these opinions are based on experience or heresay (not that all heresay is bad)? And with what wheels?
    And if the issue is the $ vs benefit ratio?
    If they were free would they still not be worth it?
    Just trying to understand.

I bought a set of Magtan magnesium wheels for BMW (not the S1krr) way back in 2007 or 8. I thought they made a substantial difference. Yeah, not worth it maybe...

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
  15. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

In my personal opinion I did enjoy the improvement that came with lighter wheels. My specific use case was/is my 05 GSXR-1000. I swapped the standard OEM wheels for Marchesini magnesiums. You could instantly feel a difference in how the bike handled, especially in quick side to side transitions and turn-in effort. Having said that, OEM wheels have been coming down in weight every model generation practically, so the benefit on a newer model is likely going to be slightly less

This is relative to each individual person. If $2000-3000 for a set of wheels is drop in the bucket for you then who cares, go for it. If you are trying to decide on this or something else and cost is an issue then I would say give it a pass and spend it on something more meaningful/useful.

Not to mention this is also going to be determined to some extent by the rider's skill level. Joe Schmoe trackday hero has alot more things to concern himself with than if his wheels weight a couple pounds more than they used to when he's missing turn-ins and blowing past the apex left right and center because his skill set is mediocre at best compared to an expert racer who is a second or 2 off lap record pace.

That's kind of a silly question. Is a Ferrari a waste if someone gives it to you for free.....only if you don't take it off their hands for them (assuming you can also afford the insurance :D)

JCW likes this.
  16. JCW

JCW Well-Known Member

Some things aren't worth it even if free... ;)

17. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Mine comes from experience. Aftermarket wheels look awesome..no doubt. The performance gain, in my opinion, wasn't actually all that noticeable and it
    didn't make me an immediate Track Day Rock Star....that's NEVER gonna happen.

Spend the $2500 you'd spend on a set of wheels doing YCRS.

You'd be better served having a second set of OEM wheels as part of your track day cache. Then if you
    determine your grip is shot mid day, you can quickly swap on the new shoes and enjoy your full day not nursing
    crappy grip, or packing up earlier than you want to and heading home.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  18. JCW

JCW Well-Known Member

Looks matter almost zero to me. That's why I bought a gixxer.

19. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Paging @Steeltoe

:Poke: :D :crackup: